Season Plans 2017-18

jamesdeluxe

Administrator
I usually post this thread (for destination-trip hackers like me) later in September, but I've already pulled the trigger on flights, so why wait:

Northern Utah: Dec 14-19
In mid-December, I'll ski whatever has more than just WRODs, which usually means the Cottonwoods. Anything else (preferably Sundance and Snowbasin) is a bonus.

Alpes Maritimes: Jan 27 - Feb 4
I've always wanted to visit France's far south with ski areas that have a view of the Mediterranean on nice days. I'll fly into and out of Nice -- this'll be my first time there since I spent a semester exactly 30 years ago -- and do a 300-mile circle, hitting a bunch of joints you probably haven't heard of: Gréolières, Audibergue, Val d'Allos, Valberg, Roubion, Auron, and Isola.

Eastern Switzerland: Mar 9-17
A redo of my trip that was cancelled at the last minute this past March. A bunch of old-school local's ski areas (the only one you may recognise is Toggenburg) an hour or so east of Zurich/near the LIechtenstein border that I discovered while researching the Euro part of the FTO/Google Earth map.

I think the eastern Switzerland last year was going to coincide with our final week at the beginning of February, which ended up being in Venice and Ischgl.

Our schedule is familiar.

We will arrive in Utah early in March because the PugSki Gathering is there the week before Iron Blosam.

My Canadian trip for Mustang will extend to 9-10 days. No plane tickets or other arrangement have been made yet.

Liz and I will go to the Alps in the same mid-January to early February time frame as last year, but this time to Geneva instead of Zurich. No plane tickets or other arrangement have been made here either. I think lodging can be done late in the game depending upon where the snow is, and James' prior trips have inspired possible options.

Tony Crocker":378gcjyd said:
I think the eastern Switzerland last year was going to coincide with our final week at the beginning of February, which ended up being in Venice and Ischgl.
Correct and as you confirmed, I didn't miss anything snow-wise so ultimately not a major loss.

Tony Crocker":378gcjyd said:
Liz and I will go to the Alps in the same mid-January to early February time frame as last year, but this time to Geneva instead of Zurich.
I know that you'll let conditions dictate where you go but all things being equal, which regions are at the top of your list from Geneva airport?

Portes-de-Soleil and Le Clusaz based on your trips. Both low altitude so late January is best time is snow is good. If it's not we'll go someplace higher.

Will get the rust out from very little skiing the past decade. Spending most of the time at Sugarloaf but will be watching for snowstorms out West.

jamesdeluxe":15fttu4n said:
A redo of my trip that was cancelled at the last minute this past March. A bunch of old-school local's ski areas (the only one you may recognise is Toggenburg)

I have a few dozen days at Toggenburg.... oh, wait, that's not Toggenburg, NY........

Travel wise I've done the bad eastern commitment and will be spending roughly a week back east during the holidays. I can only hope it is similar to my last Eastern holiday trip which included powder skiing on several days (5 years ago).

Otherwise I just have my RMSP+ and Jr will be in one day of ski racing this winter at Eldora. Annual guys trip is not yet planned, etc... so might be more travel trips to come.

EMSC":2ej4e7aq said:
Travel wise I've done the bad eastern commitment and will be spending roughly a week back east during the holidays. I can only hope it is similar to my last Eastern holiday trip which included powder skiing on several days (5 years ago)

Greek Peak as a powder destination? ;)

For all you Big Sky fans, today is the last day to purchase the Montana Card good for free skiing the first week and the last two weeks April 9 thru 22. 149bucks and one free non holiday ticket.

I am a big fan of the writers on here JamesD, TonyC, Admin and others and look forward to your reports. I got to meet MartinG in WV this year. Super interesting fellow. I still ski mid-Atlantic as one foot remains in cubicle land based in Wash DC area. But will ski in Rockies quite a bit and have family now in UT. Hope to get to Banff for the first time this winter.

Flights booked tonight:
To Geneva Jan. 17, home Feb. 5, prices not great ($1,300+pp), so used 65K miles
To Calgary Feb. 15, home Feb. 26, $317pp RT is good for that route

I'm surprised that they let a $1,300 itinerary go for 65,000 miles, good for you. I'd normally try to avoid CDG in favor of AMS, but for that price, don't argue with "free."

CDG layover is 1 hr 45 mins. AMS is not immune to problems (fog) as a I learned last year.

An extra bonus on those 65K miles is the 18 hours layover in NYC coming back on Super Bowl Sunday, so we can visit some of Liz' friends. We also did that in 2013 on the way from Bermuda to Florida.

Tony Crocker":33w2n11j said:

Our schedule is familiar.

We will arrive in Utah early in March because the PugSki Gathering is there the week before Iron Blosam.

My Canadian trip for Mustang will extend to 9-10 days. No plane tickets or other arrangement have been made yet.

Liz and I will go to the Alps in the same mid-January to early February time frame as last year, but this time to Geneva instead of Zurich. No plane tickets or other arrangement have been made here either. I think lodging can be done late in the game depending upon where the snow is, and James' prior trips have inspired possible options.
Hi,
This sounds great \:D/
Have a nice winter \:D/

Back