Stowe

And of course, its become a mixed forecast. Hopefully it won't turn into a skating rink. Early season fun. But I have to get my boots dialed in, bindings adjusted, maybe try the fat boards. Although that may be a bit sporty for the conditions.

Good top to bottom skiing was had Friday and Saturday. Sunday it rained so I packed it in. Not a bad start to the season. I got in 10 runs on Friday and 18 on Saturday. Friday was cold and very windy, Saturday warmer with little to no wind until the storm started moving in.
Even tried out the fat boards for a few runs, which was, sporty. The new boots fit well and are a big improvement over my tired Garmonts. Much lighter and tighter.

Epic Pass..5 hour drive..lots of snow and interesting terrain. Decent food and booze. I'm in. Cold is a given..its VT.

Kingslug may be in the East, but he's obviously on the right side of NY metro area for that drive to be 5 hours. I'll bet it's considerably more than that in the inclement weather that brings the best powder. Still, it could be worse, he could be at Snowbird! :stir:

True. Stamford so its a straight shot up there..not the in town slog of some resorts where you go 30 MPH. If its a shyt show I can leave Friday night, hotel in MA until morning then do the rest of the drive. Did that last year and it worked well.

Tony Crocker":9egdeswd said:
Kingslug may be in the East, but he's obviously on the right side of NY metro area for that drive to be 5 hours.
He's in Stamford CT - 1.5-2 driving hours north from mid town Manhattan.
5 hrs (with at least one stop) is what it typically what I allowed from Wallingford CT - about 50 minutes from north Stamford.

From MRG's condition report this morning:

"More than 90% of our legendary trails will be open for your skiing pleasure giving Mad River Glen the highest percentage of open terrain of any mountain in Vermont. Skiers will find soft and forgiving, predominantly packed powder surfaces albeit a tad on the thin side. Please be aware that minimal grooming has taken place and that early season conditions exist."

Well, 90% is not 94%. Rare to catch MRG arguably exaggerating its good conditions. Nonetheless, sounds like a not-too-shabby opening weekend for a VT area with no real snowmaking.

Marc_C":31urhis4 said:
Tony Crocker":31urhis4 said:
Kingslug may be in the East, but he's obviously on the right side of NY metro area for that drive to be 5 hours.
He's in Stamford CT - 1.5-2 driving hours north from mid town Manhattan.
5 hrs (with at least one stop) is what it typically what I allowed from Wallingford CT - about 50 minutes from north Stamford.

Hence the 7 hr ride...On a Friday..
95N to 91N is a parking lot on Friday evening..

since i'm not sitting in it , it ain't my problem..

Well damn ..a suprise 6 to 12 inches fell overnight. The East is getting the goods. Can't wait to get to Vail for some R&R, away from skiing. :(

Back