Too cold

-20 degrees (F) this morning on top of Mt. Mansfield with 45 to 85 mph winds. NOT a pleasant day to be skiing Stowe........but they ARE open. I just checked the website. Ugh.

My opinion is that its negligent to allow people to go up there at those temps. Severe frostbite and hypothermia is a very real danger. And yes ..some people do not know better.

kingslug":x4959mzp said:
My opinion is that its negligent to allow people to go up there at those temps. Severe frostbite and hypothermia is a very real danger. And yes ..some people do not know better.

I agree with you !! But the ski areas get greedy, especially during a holiday week, and they want to sell some tickets.

I just read the Stowe ski report. All lifts are open today (Friday, Dec. 29). 8 below zero (top) to 8 above zero (base) with 10 to 20 MPH winds at the summit. Better than yesterday but still damn cold weather to be skiing in. And you're right......some people don't have the sense to avoid spending too much time outside in such cold weather (esp. kids and teenagers) and frostbite and hypothermia happens.

berkshireskier":39al9rgm said:
And you're right......some people don't have the sense to avoid spending too much time outside in such cold weather (esp. kids and teenagers) and frostbite and hypothermia happens.
Aspen, circa 1997, a partly sunny but cold day (not frigid though). A woman behind us on the gondi line was visibly shivering and had a couple of spots of early frostbite on her nose and cheekbone. We told her about that and strongly urged a hat and some kind of face protection. She refused - it would mess up her hair and makeup.

Years ago bus trip to killington, 20 below without the wind. Back on the bus i notice the kid 1 seat over..white kid..face black..holy shit. They took him off the bus ,but i never found out what happened..looked really bad..kid had no idea.

26 below at the top of Stowe today with 60 below windchill..deadly. Sunday should be interesting with minus 15 degree chills. Will be Jackies first day of the season. I foresee lots of warmups and chocolate.

Started the day at Stowe at minus 15 which quickly warmed up to minus 6. No wind..frozen trails, somw with leftovers from the storm.

I was skiing up at Old Forge, NY back in the late 70's on a cold morning. I had taken one trip up the lift when someone on the mountain noticed early signs of frostbite on my face. I don't think I skied much that day. Have never been in any weather nearly that cold since moving to the West.

This has been one of the colder winters I can remember. The thaw freeze this weekend was brutal. The damn pipes barely had time to thaw before they froze again.

At the Mansfield Stake:
January 13 high 53F with 1.17 inch rain
January 14 high 0F
That about sums it up.

Tony Crocker":3hiaspgn said:
At the Mansfield Stake:
January 13 high 53F with 1.17 inch rain
January 14 high 0F
That about sums it up.

LOL, welcome to New England in the Winter! "Variability" is the key word here.

Back