Western Weather 2017-18 and Later

I've been tracking Vail weather. Getting a possible nice hit but then back to warm cold. Has to be killing them. Back bowls all closed and all man made on the front. Hope this storm delivers as Mrs Slug will be there.
On the home front a nasty warm up with a batch of rain due this weekend but then back to cold and snowy. Hit Stowe last Sunday and it was a bit sporty. Very cold and slick. But in the trees where I do not venture alone I heard it was up to 4 feet deep. An instructor said it was downright deadly if you fell in a tree well.

jamesdeluxe":31j4m2hb said:
We're looking forward to the first Utah TR in 2.5 weeks.
You might be waiting a while. It's still low tide and since we've passed January 5 I guess we can't expect significant improvement until at least January 25 according to renowned local Utah weather authority MarcC.

kingslug":31j4m2hb said:
I've been tracking Vail weather. Getting a possible nice hit but then back to warm cold. Has to be killing them. Back bowls all closed and all man made on the front. Hope this storm delivers as Mrs Slug will be there.
2011-12 had similarly restricted terrain at Vail into January: 28% Jan. 7, 30% Jan.15, 44% Jan.21 and at last 84% Jan. 31. This year rates to be tougher because Vail's season snowfall on Jan. 7, 2012 was 80 inches while this year on Jan. 8 it was 59 inches though a similar 27% open. In 2012 Vail got 58 inches of snow during the rest of January to get most of the back bowls open by the end of the month. Getting the bowls open not too far into February is a reasonable speculation, but the Dogs' trip Jan. 20-27 looks too early.

With any kind of close to normal winter I think the timing of that Dogs' trip to Vail is ideal. January is less busy than many other times at Vail, plus the snow preservation in the bowls is much better than later in the season.

And now Vail is starting to get snow..Mrs Slug is less than happy I cancelled and will lose 1600.00. Can't win. VT is due for rain, then freeze, then snow. So it will be the usual mixed bag by the time I get there. Have to try to sell my spot tonight at the DD happy hour.
Anyone want to go to VAIL...?

BTW Vail is planning to open small portions of the back bowls and Blue Sky as of tomorrow. It can't be very much of them though since total acreage will still be just under 2000 acres.

Some more ok-ish recent snows this week. Looks like rather small snow possibilities for roughly the next week before more decent storms are forecast for Colo by the 19th-ish.

Omg did i screw up. Vt is a mess and vail went up to 150 trails and some back bowls open..what..did i do. Ate 1600 plus had tyo pop 600 for hotel in stowe to ski god knows what..i never screw up like this..utterly miserable now..very very bad week now this..

Vail 48% open (2,530 acres) for MLK weekend doesn't sound all that great to me. It's still less than what's open on an average Dec. 15 (57%). They got 14 inches in the past 3 days, which explains the bump in open terrain. Not much snow is expected for the coming week but the models are showing more snow coming next weekend per Open Snow.

I've heard that kingslug is back on the Vail trip. While it may not be up to its usual standard, Vail will nonetheless be better than the Northeast after this week's rain/freeze. I will have an updated progress report tomorrow, but yesterday the leading Vermont areas had fallen into the 2/3 open range from the 90+% last week. So the rain was indeed quite destructive.

Vail is well covered by a 3-4 foot base. It is possible that one more storm a week from now could get Vail into the 75% range.

Tony Crocker":6tic1imm said:
I've heard that kingslug is back on the Vail trip. While it may not be up to its usual standard, Vail will nonetheless be better than the Northeast after this week's rain/freeze. I will have an updated progress report tomorrow, but yesterday the leading Vermont areas had fallen into the 2/3 open range from the 90+% last week. So the rain was indeed quite destructive.

Vail is well covered by a 3-4 foot base. It is possible that one more storm a week from now could get Vail into the 75% range.

Yea, it was almost 60 degrees in New England on Friday with torrential rains. Truly tropical air and it felt like a late-Spring rainstorm. The warm air and rain went all the way into Canada. Completely wiped out the natural snow (7 to 8 inches) around here and did a number on manmade snow too. It was 54 degrees when I went to bed Friday night and it was 21 when I woke up on Saturday morning. Been very cold all weekend long. Everything has frozen solid again. UGH.

With 170 trails out of 195 open compared to a few weeks ago when they had 35..I'm in. I realize that its the acres that are important there but thats for the bowls I'm guessing. Add Beaver Creek to the mix and its way more than I would get in N. VT. Which has warm temps and some rain coming next Monday..
3751 acres open now..getting better with snow on the way for Saturday..we hope.

glad you were able to get back in, Kingslug. I saw some before and after pics from Mt. Washington's FB page that showed the incredible shrinking snowpack after that rain event. wow...

I am in a pickle with our trip Jan 25-30. Really don't want to drive 12 hrs to Jackson, but I can't see any of the other Mtn. Collective resorts near me being worth it. Considered Aspen, but the X-Games have zapped up all the lodging. Hope the weekend storm will deliver, but its gonna have to be really big to change anything.

Mammoth is probably at least as far and is in similar condition to Jackson. Alta is closer, but I would avoid on weekends considering Snowbird is still only 27% open. Sun Valley at 84% open is similar to Jackson and Mammoth.

I think Taos is a lost cause this season considering how much snow it needs for good coverage. Telluride rates to be OK by March if the next 6 weeks are close to average. If you are on the hook for lodging in Telluride you should ask to defer to mid-March. Do not be tempted by last week's snow in Telluride, still only 19% open today. It's going to take over a month of normal snowfall to make it worth considering.

More good news for kingslug: Vail is up to 71% today. Beaver Creek is at 61%.

Revelstoke is doing rather well. 244 inches for the season and a recent 3 foot dump. And the Alps are , well not sure. Last I looked they were closed but will open soon with amazing conditions.
Not that this will help you, or it might. My pick if possible right now would be Revel. I'm going there end of Feb but would love to go there now!

Tony Crocker":ncw9d0o0 said:
Alta is closer, but I would avoid on weekends considering Snowbird is still only 27% open.
Snowbird opened Mineral Basin today and is reporting 72 open trails of 170, so not quite as grim as earlier.

Tony Crocker":3dev8zt9 said:
Mammoth is probably at least as far and is in similar condition to Jackson. Alta is closer, but I would avoid on weekends considering Snowbird is still only 27% open. Sun Valley at 84% open is similar to Jackson and Mammoth.

I think Taos is a lost cause this season considering how much snow it needs for good coverage. Telluride rates to be OK by March if the next 6 weeks are close to average. If you are on the hook for lodging in Telluride you should ask to defer to mid-March. Do not be tempted by last week's snow in Telluride, still only 19% open today. It's going to take over a month of normal snowfall to make it worth considering.

More good news for kingslug: Vail is up to 71% today. Beaver Creek is at 61%.

Thankfully, we have no commitment with travel/lodging, other than the timeframe of those 6 days. (Thats a nice thing about the MC is you just show up when you want to ski/ride). We were just at Mammoth last month. plus It is a closer to a 15 hr drive, so thats not gonna happen. Snowbird/Snowbasin we lightly considered, but they aren't doing much better, snow-wise. We tossed around Sun Valley, as I've never been before... but decided Jackson is still a better bet and a tad closer. (We also have Marriott points to burn, so our lodging for 5 nights is "free" in Jackson. Glad they put in a Marriott property there this past year).

Flying out of Durango is not really an option, as its always rediculously expensive. (usually $400 just to get to Denver). Driving to ABQ (3 hrs) is often a better bet for us. Denver is almost a 7 hr drive to DIA.

kingslug":2ku43ko2 said:
Revelstoke is doing rather well. 244 inches for the season
Revelstoke starts counting Sept. 1. I have them at 187 inches since Nov. 1. Also Revy's snow plot is near the top of the Ripper chair at 6,429 feet, rather high within the lift served range of 1,680 - 7,300. The long runs to the base are open now, but they have only been open a few weeks. Revy's conditions are good now but no better than most of western Canada.

Snowave is likely to see some fresh snow in Jackson. Some of the Lower Faces opened this weekend. If he's lucky the Hobacks will open when he is there.

Marc_C":2ku43ko2 said:
Snowbird opened Mineral Basin today and is reporting 72 open trails of 170, so not quite as grim as earlier.
Thanks for the catch. I updated this morning and the website still said 46 trails then.

On a ski bum holiday, Sunday at Panorama, then a day at Sunshine, today at Lake Louis, all nice sunny skiing on good chalky snow. The drive this afternoon to Revelstoke was all snow. Tomorrow looks to be soft.

Holy canoli did we luck out. 2 days transformed the whole place. They reported 8 inches but much more in places. Knee deep in some areas. Off to Beaver Creek today. Conditions should be great all week and another storm for friday..which I hope doesnt close the pass. Might have to get out before that happens. I dont want to get stuck here again.

Attachments

• 20180122_110749.jpg
    20180122_110749.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 24,656
You mentioned that this is a group trip so I assume lift tickets are included, but I'm curious what destination visitors do when skiing Vail/BC given the insane day-ticket prices: buy an Epic Pass?

Back