WINTER IS BACK

Resort and backcountry skiing and snowboarding in eastern US and Canada, including our famous reader-submitted No-Bull Snow Reports.

WINTER IS BACK

Postby kingslug » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:34 am

In case you didnt notice
kingslug

Re: WINTER IS BACK

Postby jamesdeluxe » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:11 pm

Plattekill was in the wheelhouse for last Friday's storm: a reported 45 inches.
http://nyskiblog.com/winter-storm-riley-at-plattekill/
jamesdeluxe

Postby Tony Crocker » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:10 pm

I had sort of read that this storm was mediocre at best in New England and had been better in NY. No idea it was THAT much better!
http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,610K in 2016-17
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
Tony Crocker

Postby kingslug » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:44 am

Yup..to bad Hunter and Belleayre lost power and the whole area turned into the biggest [censored] show ever. I was on a plane back from BC so I didn't care. But, it saved the region from a total bust. This storm dumped another 2 feet on S VT and its still coming. I'm heading to Stowe because, well we now have a small condo there. So, while its better in S VT its still good up north and with the Epic pass its paid for already. Maybe hit MRG the weekend after this one for the first time.
Thank god this hit or it would be almost over for the E coast.
kingslug

Postby Tony Crocker » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:02 pm

JSpin said dust on crust last weekend at Stowe. Probably better after this second storm.

Too bad the Northeast season tailed off starting mid-January. December was top 25th percentile and lots better than much of the West then.
http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,610K in 2016-17
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
Tony Crocker

Postby kingslug » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:03 am

saw a video of MRG , guy skiing down Rumble at Castlerock..looked damn good, and that trail is usually rocks. Its been snowing up there all week so should be good.
kingslug

Postby jamesdeluxe » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:05 am

Apparently southern VT was the winner from the Weds/Thurs event with Magic pulling in 30 inches. The East Coast is back!
http://forum.nyskiblog.com/Epic-td4122554.html#a4122595
jamesdeluxe

Postby berkshireskier » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:55 pm

Tony Crocker wrote:JSpin said dust on crust last weekend at Stowe. Probably better after this second storm.

Too bad the Northeast season tailed off starting mid-January. December was top 25th percentile and lots better than much of the West then.

Yea, the season in the Northeast started off well in December, in terms of natural snow and snowmaking weather, but it was brutally and wickedly cold for most the holiday period, right into the new year (no one in the right mind was skiing then!). Then, we got hit with 60 degree temps and torrential rains right before MLK weekend in mid-January, washing out much of the snow, and February was extremely warm and rainy. People were playing golf locally last week! IMO, it's been a terrible season up until last week. The last two storms and especially the one two days ago, have greatly improved the conditions. I skied three hours this morning (after 18 inches of new snow on Wednesday) and it was the best conditions of the year and about as good as it ever gets in the East, if you like skiing on perfectly groomed natural snow. The consistency of the snow from the last storm was almost perfect - not so powdery that it would blow off the trails but not so heavy that it was hard to ski on. It had just the right amount of moisture to adhere to the crusty base underneath while still being soft enough to carve through.
berkshireskier

Postby kingslug » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:57 am

Now there is an avalanche danger posted for the N.VT back country..when was the last time you saw that. 5 to 6 feet in the last week. Insane. Wish I was there now..Jay Peak is getting hammered.
kingslug

Postby kingslug » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:37 am

It has now been snowing for roughly 72 hours straight and during that time our storm total ranges from 31” in the base area to 40” on the upper mountain! ...Welcome to Stowe
kingslug

Postby flyover » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:16 am

From MRG's snow report today:

Now it's just getting downright ludicrous. We are now into our 4th straight day of snow with another 2-3" falling overnight bringing our total storm total to 35-47". The skiing conditions are trending beyond EPIC towards MYTHIC in scope! So here’s how it’s come down; 2-3" overnight, 2-4" yesterday. 6-8"the night before that, 5-6" on Wednesday, 12-14” the night before and 6-8” the day before that. And please don't forget that this all has come on the heels of the other 2 Nor’easter’s that provided the perfect base for the recent dumpage! These conditions are rivaling some of the best in MRG's history and with even more snow in the forecasts there may never be a better time to experience MRG. You truly owe it to yourself to plan a pilgrimage just as soon as you possibly can.

This kind of language seems a bit much to my adopted-Minnesotan (i.e., Scandinavian - stoic) sensibilities. On the other hand, I'm inclined to make allowances as MRG's snow report is pretty much always brutally honest when the conditions suck.

My parents tell me the hill is skiing very nicely, but they're in their late 70s and aren't off in the woods skiing powder stashes.
flyover

Postby kingslug » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:44 pm

Going to be frigid this weekend. 25 below zero windchills..thats about my absolute limit. And the Gondi at Stowe is on windhold..and might be tomorrow if this keeps up...I said I wanted winter but this..well ..
kingslug

Postby berkshireskier » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:28 pm

kingslug wrote:Going to be frigid this weekend. 25 below zero windchills..thats about my absolute limit. And the Gondi at Stowe is on windhold..and might be tomorrow if this keeps up...I said I wanted winter but this..well ..

Yea, I skied for two hours this morning (Friday, March 16) and, although it was partly sunny (with a March sun), it was also very cold and VERY windy with a strong, cold north to northwest wind blowing straight up the trails. I had multiple layers of clothes on and was still cold. Felt more like early January than the middle of March. The good news is that after the 16" with the latest (and third-in-a-row) Nor'easter, the trail conditions are about as good as they ever get in the Northeast and even ample coverage in the woods for those who want to venture off trail. A season that looked very bleak three weeks ago has roared back to life, with enough coverage to last probably another two or three weeks in southern NE and longer up north. And maybe more snow next week! Damn
berkshireskier

Postby EMSC » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:06 pm

:worthless:
EMSC

Postby Anthony » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:42 pm

Arrived at Jaypeak about two hours ago to see first hand the reported 7 feet of snow in the last week as reported by JP :shock: . Well who knows but without even stepping out on the hill and just walking around ,there is a lot of snow . The tram and flyer were down today due to wind .Will see what happens tomorrow. Brought my climbing equipment just in case.
Anthony

Next

Return to Eastern North America