Eastern Closing Thread 2018

Patrick

The first compilation is always the longest, especially when the ski season was saved in part of the US East with a series of storm what was dubbed the “Miracle March.” After an unreasonable warm February, the cold March and storms definitely saved the season from a premature end at many hills.

IS THIS THE FIRST WEEKEND OF APRIL?

April 1st is Sunday and many ski areas will be closing on Saturday, just prior to Easter Sunday. Anyhow here is the comparison between previous seasons’ April first weekends. At least 23 ski areas while close on Saturday March 31, just one day short of April. So instead of comparing the number 181 with the previous seasons, we should maybe just count 158 ski areas that might actually offer us April skiing.

So regardless where you live in the East, you’ll be able to ski 6 Canadian provinces and 11 US States (not even counting states from the Midwest like Ohio, Michigan, etc). From Newfoundland & Labrador to North Carolina, including Prince Edward Island’s only ski area, GO SKIING!!!

Click the link if you want a detailed rundown of the where, what, who and when!!!

Eastern Closing Thread 2018 …No fooling with Easter skiing – Part 1
https://madpatski.wordpress.com/2018/03 ... ng-part-1/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It rained in the Northeast toward the end of last week, but trail counts declined only modestly at most places and remain slightly above average for end of March. The conspicuous exception is Sugarloaf, which declined from 91% open mid-March to 36% today. That's way out of line for one of the East's best late season areas. Their webpage states that grooming may open more runs tomorrow.

Tony Crocker":2u08kq9r said:
It rained in the Northeast toward the end of last week, but trail counts declined only modestly at most places and remain slightly above average for end of March. The conspicuous exception is Sugarloaf, which declined from 91% open mid-March to 36% today. That's way out of line for one of the East's best late season areas. Their webpage states that grooming may open more runs tomorrow.

Not sure where and how much rain that was received. I know that he didn't the rain (we got some wet snow) that was initially forecasted and turned out to great spring conditions locally.

That would seem odd for Sugarloaf's trail count, I know that Sugarloaf was hosting the Can-Am competition this week which might have resulted on a few trail closure + shutting down lifts making more difficult to access certain terrain? I didn't get time to look into it, however I think that trail count drop might be premature. Anyway, heading to Vermont tomorrow to cross off a few ski areas my Foxcard before they shutdown for the season.

Sugarloaf is up to 54% today, better, but subpar for them in spring. The rain may have not made it into eastern Canada (Tremblant and Mt. St. Anne are in full operation) but it most definitely rained over most of New England.

Tony Crocker":1d5iv9f8 said:
Sugarloaf is up to 54% today, better, but subpar for them in spring.
I looked at their detailed snow report, they've added a gazillion trails.

15 out of 16 closed in the Snowfields.
16 out of 16 closed in Brackett Basin.
So that is 31 out 32 trails closed...if you remove these from the trail count, you get 70%.

Brackett Basin contains some of Sugarloaf's newest terrain, part of a massive 655 acre terrain expansion that makes Sugarloaf the largest ski area east of the Rocky Mountains. When fully open, Brackett Basin and Burnt Mountain offer over 650 acres acres of backcountry-style glades, including steeps, chutes, and cliffs, all comprising one of the most unique skiing adventures anywhere on the East Coast.

While this new terrain offers opportunities for new and exciting Sugarloaf adventures, it is not for everybody. The terrain is vast, contains unmarked hazards including cliffs, rocks, and fallen trees, and should be attempted by expert skiers and snowboarders only. We want you to have fun and explore this new terrain, but there are a number of safety tips that every skier should be familiar with before embarking on this new challenge.

Calendar creep = what I call people/ski areas/whoever is saying the season is over because of a date on the calendar.

The number is down to 67 potentially open ski areas this weekend. Many are calling it quit this season, regardless of snow on the ground.

To quote one great skier, philosopher and icon, Glen Plake:
“Ski the snow on the ground, not the date on the calendar”

Eastern Closing 2018 : Calendar creep closures – Week 3
https://madpatski.wordpress.com/2018/04/10/eastern-closing-2018-calendar-creep-closures-week-3/

Québec: 29
Vermont: 11
New York: 9
New Hampshire: 6
Ontario: 4
Maine: 2
Newfoundland & Labrador: 2
Pennsylvania: 2
Massachusetts: 1

That number should be down to 25 for the following weekend. Go skiing!!!

Wow, what a mixed bag of conditions I experienced last Wednesday-Sunday (Whiteface, Tremblant, Cannon, Smuggs). Everything from full February packed powder to firm, freezing rain, sleet and ice pellets. This weekend looks more like a spring skiing weekend.

Eastern Closing 2018: Mixed bag options – Week 4
https://madpatski.wordpress.com/2018/04 ... ns-week-4/"

Québec: 19
Ontario: 2
Newfoundland & Labrador: 1
Vermont: 5
New York: 3
Maine: 2
New Hampshire: 1

Running daily: QC 2, VT 5, ME, 1, NH 1

Consistent as Mothers’ Day Skiing (again) – Eastern Closing Thread 2018 – Week 7
https://madpatski.wordpress.com/2018/05 ... 18-week-7/

Here is this week's post. As mentioned above, Jay was hoping to add an extra weekend, but Mother Nature had other plans for Mothers' Day at Jay Peak.

So again this season, it comes down to St-Sauveur and Killington. MSS decided to open tomorrow Friday.

Back