Mt Rose, NV also opened Friday 10/19/2018

tseeb

Taking advantage of cold overnight temperatures and their 8,260' base elevation, Mt Rose made snow and opened Wizard beginner lift for passholders only on Friday 10/19/2018. Rose only planned to be open Friday and Saturday, but was also open on Sunday before closing until further notice.

Yikes. No offense, but that's worse than an Eastern opening.

Bunny hill for a couple days then closed is not much of an opening. Though interesting that at least one resort in Tahoe has gleam's in their eye of competing for early season skiers which might be a good thing over time.

It may sell some passes to people that can't wait for Mammoth, who should be able to open with something better on 11/8. But it is very early and Rose should be commended for their effort which, given recent history, I could not see any Vail CA resorts attempting.

While I know some Reno skiers who count it as a ski day even if they get there after weather forces early closure of the mountain, I have trouble counting a day with less than 10K vertical. The only info I could find on Wizard lift at Rose said it's 88m vertical which seems too high, but that would equal 288'. I doubt that many people, especially the Reno skiers I know, skied it 35 times to get over 10K.

I even question whether the two days I have in the last 5-6 years where I hiked at Lassen and skied under 400 vertical and a year ago June when I hiked Carson Pass and skied about 600 vertical. Both days required some effort, but there was not much time spent skiing.

I didn't read the fine print about Mt. Rose. Only Wizard? I would have assumed one blue run from Lakeview, which would be roughly similar to what Loveland and A-Basin have. So yes, that's quite marginal. As for weekend only, I think that's fine, as it gives an area a chance to restore surfaces under marginal conditions. But even if I lived in Reno, I doubt I would go for just Wizard.

Most people are not stringent at all about counting earned turns as a ski day, even with modest vertical. You may not ski much vertical but typically you expend several hours in the effort. I try to get at least 1,000 vertical on backcountry days, but I had 3 consecutive just under 1,000.
Oct. 7, 2011 at Mammoth: viewtopic.php?t=9784
Nov. 8, 2011 training day in the rain on Tierra del Fuego: viewtopic.php?t=9849
Nov. 12, 2011 first day in Antarctica, weather constrained, didn't get out until after 6PM: viewtopic.php?t=9850

As for not counting lift-served days under 10K, if we had an administrator here, he would be mightily offended by that notion as he averages about 12K, would lose about 1/3 of his ski days I suspect. :lol:

Excel allows easy filtering, so I could check my records where I found 65 lift served days under 10K
16 were when I was a beginner/low intermediate through 1978, a phase tseeb, like my son Adam, probably doesn't remember.
5 were spent entirely with my kids at very young ages 3-5.
1 was a free day at 400 vertical Canada Olympic Park, just a couple of hours skiing, at least as much time in the museum and Olympic training facilities.
12 were mostly in the category of "lift assisted backcountry:" Silverton, La Grave, Vallee Blanche, Beartooth Pass, etc.
6 days were cut short by injury or illness.
That leaves 25. Nearly all of those were cut short by extremely foul weather/conditions, often involving closure of lifts/terrain. I don't see any reason not to count all of the above though.

Rose will not re-open this weekend. My phone has predicted high temps at South Lake Tahoe of 71/70 for Fri and Sat, probably the last time temps are that high until Spring.

From https://skirose.com/snow-report/" After surveying the snow pack Thursday morning, Mt. Rose will NOT be open for skiing this weekend (Oct 26-28).

The last two days have impacted the snow on the connected trails ( Merlin / Witches Brew / Spellbound ) to the point where a quality ski experience is questionable / sustainable. Our goal at Mt. Rose is to always provide a snow product that we have confidence in to please all our guests.

The forecast for next week is positive, with cold temps returning to the region giving us the potential to continue to make snow and potentially spin the lift(s) again soon.

All my days last season were over 10K, even this first day in report viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12632" where first snow, then precipitation was very wet and my notes have Sucked. The only two entries from last season below 10K are on days when I skied both Heavenly and Kirkwood and my total for the day were just under 20K and about 22K. To get below 10K on a day, I have to go back to 2016 when I flew SJC-DEN and skied A-Basin 8.5K. But I didn't start skiing until 2 PM as my plane was late. Late in same year I had almost 11K at Diamond Peak even though I was there on a Last Tracks wine tasting ticket and late afternoon in April was not very good.

If you throw out the beginner related skiing, about 3% of my lift served ski days were under 10K. So it's not unusual to have a season with none. In fact I've had 17 such seasons.

I'm more likely to have the occasional day like that since retirement. Having a season pass makes it easier to take a few laps on a speculative day. The "lift assisted backcountry" days are also more common in recent seasons.

It's when I had work and family obligations averaging only 24 ski days/season that I was more obsessive about getting a lot of laps in once I had paid for a lift ticket.

Just looked at Snowman weather report at Mammoth. Dry slot for the next couple weeks. So cal like a mild summer right now. Hope that all changes soon. Need rain.

Mt Rose re-opened this weekend, Friday to Sunday and plan to be open the same days again Veteran's Day weekend. Still only one beginner run, but was open to public for $20 so was more crowded than the Oct. weekend when Rose was only open to passholders.

OpenSnow Tahoe report also does not have anything in the next 10 days. South Lake Tahoe and Truckee both reported 69 on Fri 11/2 and 68 on Sun 11/4 although highs and predicted to drop this week and overnight temps are well below freezing so they could be making snow.

Back