Wolf Creek first to open for 2018-19

EMSC

From their press release:

"Mother Nature blankets Wolf Creek Ski Area, Colorado with a 20 inch storm leaving an all natural settled base of 14 inches at the midway. This weekend Saturday, October 13th and Sunday, October 14th, Wolf Creek will open with Treasure, Bonanza and Nova Lifts operating. This is Wolf Creek’s second earliest opening ever and the first ski area in the country to open this season.

Wolf Creek is open for the season with weekends only until conditions allow full-time operation. Treasure Stoke, Bonanza and Nova Lifts will be turning from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. with very early season conditions and obstacles. A Nova Only Lift Ticket with access to Nova and Susan’s runs will be $29 for adults, seniors and children. Access to all three lifts will be at the Local Appreciation rate of $50 for adults, $33 for seniors and $27 for children.

The Wolf Creek Lodge will be open with a limited lunch menu. Pathfinder Bar will be open as well. The Ski School will be available for both adults and children, including the Wolf Pup Program. The Ski Rental and Boarder Dome will be open, as well as Treasure Sports."

Is this close to an "earliest season opening in Colorado"? Given WC's big snowfall reputation, can we assume that they won't shut down again a week or two later?

jamesdeluxe":1fm9jbfc said:
Is this close to an "earliest season opening in Colorado"? Given WC's big snowfall reputation, can we assume that they won't shut down again a week or two later?

I honestly don't know for all of Colorado, but Wolf is saying 2nd earliest opening ever for themselves.

Wolf is one of those places that will open on white-ish looking dirt if they need to, and is saying only open on weekends till at least November. There is a warm-up of sorts expected next week but not all the way up to particularly warm temps. So given their history I would expect they will ride out any thin spots and keep at least the beginner stuff open on weekends. They do have a couple of snowguns for the base area too, but not much more than that to overcome any warm-ups.

Wolf's history is that they will run in extremely low tide conditions. I agree they will stay open unless there is a very sustained dry/warm spell soon. That said the base elevation is 10,600 and snow preservation is excellent. The main part of the area around the base lodge is quite mellow so it doesn't need all that much base.

But Wolf is one of the exceptions to my rule that percent of terrain open is the best metric for the early season. You will likely see 80-90% open on a 20 inch base. It's best to see that base number get up around 3 feet. 25th/50th/75th base depth percentiles in inches since 1988:
Thanksgiving: 14, 36, 55
mid-December: 41, 52, 65
Christmas week: 55, 64, 77

Last year and 1999-2000 were the only two Christmas weeks that sucked with < a 20 inch base. Next lowest base depth was 41 inches, so overall Wolf Creek's early season reputation is well deserved.

My brother in Denver said that for the Broncos game he's attending on Sunday, the high will be 24, following an overnight low of 13.

jamesdeluxe":250yk96k said:
My brother in Denver said that for the Broncos game he's attending on Sunday, the high will be 24, following an overnight low of 13.

Don't forget to add in the 2-4 inches of expected snowfall Sat night and Sunday morning down in the metro area... Just as I am running a 5K race at Red Rocks. Should be interesting.

In the 50"s today and Sat though (on the flatlands). But I expect the next cold snap to provide enough snowmaking time for ABasin at least and maybe Lovelend to open sometime next week. I believe Copper pre-announced to race teams that they will open on the 19th. No word on if that will be more than a single run though.

jamesdeluxe":yfo0y6b9 said:
Is this close to an "earliest season opening in Colorado"?

Piqued my interest. As near as I can tell some earliest ever openings in Colorado are:
Loveland Oct 7, 2009
ABasin Oct 9, 2009
Wolf Creek Oct 8th, not sure which year.

Supposedly the 7th being the all time earliest.

I considered going up this weekend, but I have midweek season pass and they didn't want to honor it for their weekends only operations right now.(I was also had plans on Sat). There were some pretty nice picts floating around FB and the net from Saturday, but a friend of mine went up Sunday and said don't bother until they get more snow, which I pretty much expected.

I will also agree that WC will open with a rediculously low base, as I found out last year. That being said, their regularly groomed runs were in pretty good shape on just only about foot base, but you're really taking your chances going off piste.

Wolf was decent today. Coverage/conditions were good on the groomers, but variable off piste. the 5 ft in October was great, but no snow this month is obvious.

I agree Chris, overall Wolf is flat with only relatively short, steep parts. You really gotta know the mountain to take advantage of those areas in powder, and even then... you still may get stuck over in the Alberta area. It's even worse for snowboarders.

I also agree, the new HSQ is bizarre. A waste of money, and a clutter lift if you ask me.

I'm looking forward to using my Epic Pass this year at Telluride and Crested Butte.

Back