Brighton, UT: 12/13/18

jamesdeluxe

Administrator
I took the morning flight from Newark and was able to get in almost three hours at Brighton. At baggage claim in SLC: another skier from EWR with a 1970s subway graffiti bag -- mine's on the left:
Brighton_F.jpg

The day before, a blustery and cold storm dropped seven or eight inches (allegedly almost double that in LCC), which freshened up things nicely. Props to Brighton for allowing you to buy same-day discounted lift tix online ($55).

We started out on the Crest and Snake Creek lifts in the middle. I know that I'm in the definite minority on FTO, especially amongst the hardcore Utards; however, I always have fun at Brighton. I like the twisty, rolling EC-esque trails through the trees in the middle, Great Western's steeper trees toward the top, and Milly's grab bag of terrain including a fun rock garden (reminds me a bit of the one at Lake Louise) toward the bottom. Bright sunshine but looong shadows due to the time of year. By the time we made it over to the Millicent lift at 2:45, most of that sector was in the shade.

Thunder Road:
007.jpg

Pioneer:
005.jpg

Golden Needle:
Brighton_B.jpg

We ducked into the woods a few times:
009.jpg

Brighton_C.jpg

Boarders are still Brighton's major demographic:
001.jpg

Looking off the backside with Timp in the distance:
002.jpg

Solitude's Fantasy in the background:
Brighton_G.jpg

Snake Creek lift:
Brighton_D.jpg

At Molly Green's:
Brighton_H.jpg

In short: a really pleasant day with the only downside that the Great Western lift (most people's preferred terrain at Brighton) wasn't working.

The steep fall lines on Great Western face south. My guess is that they are not adequately covered yet. I have only skied Brighton maybe 3 days since that lift was built, but those runs have never been any good when I was there.

Millicent faces east, fun terrain. I know James got there midday, but that's where he should have started for best visibility in December.

Tony Crocker":39tv4qs9 said:
The steep fall lines on Great Western face south.
Marc_C":39tv4qs9 said:
Nope. More like WNW.
From what I could see, the Great Western steeps were mostly covered, however, the recent snow had set up a bit/wasn't worth attempting.

Marc_C":2vqhv0nz said:
Tony Crocker":2vqhv0nz said:
The steep fall lines on Great Western face south.
Nope. More like WNW.
Brighton.jpg

North is to the right, see compass in upper right corner. Great Western chair line is in red, roughly WNW. Blue line is the intermediate run along the ridgeline. Steep fall lines in black drop off that blue run to the SW.

Back