VIDEO: Deer Valley, UT camping & skiing - March 2019

It seems like the only remedy is if a benefactor who receives an inordinate amount of value from the FTO forum were to generously underwrite the purchase of new software.
:-"

Marc_C":2obgf86m said:
Admin":2obgf86m said:
To wit, the software that runs this forum is no longer supported, as has been the case with previous forum software that we've used. Without regular security patches and upgrades, vulnerabilities in the code continue to be exposed (this week's brute force and spam attack being example A). I continue to fix what I know how to fix, but there may well come a point that it's a hopeless battle.
phpBB isn't supported anymore or just the version FTO is using?
https://www.phpbb.com/

The existing version. The database upgrade to 3.1 is questionable. That said, the new version isn't receiving much love, either.

ShiftyRider":1wouvk8l said:
Okay, hmmm, lessee. I'd like to point out that the other Grand Adventure vids I've watched didn't suck LOL.
The travelogue camping videos have a rapidly growing audience. The "How-To" videos giving tips on independent camping are very informative.

I stand by my opinion that this is not a good format for ski TR's. Furthermore timeliness is one of the virtues of ski TR's (James often mentions this), and the labor intensive nature of these videos makes timeliness almost impossible.

Tony Crocker":1tpusf4l said:
I stand by my opinion that this is not a good format for ski TR's.
Apples and bowling balls. This was a cross-posted from his other project and isn't claiming to be a ski TR.

jamesdeluxe":1knutnxv said:
Tony Crocker":1knutnxv said:
I stand by my opinion that this is not a good format for ski TR's.
Apples and bowling balls. This was a cross-posted from his other project and isn't claiming to be a ski TR.

Gee, somebody gets it. There must be something in the Glendale water system.

jamesdeluxe":3fycgbz6 said:
Which was my first comment:
Tony Crocker":3fycgbz6 said:
I'll preface comments with the caveat that FTO's readers, and skiers in general, are not the intended audience of this video.

Nonetheless, in the absence of traditional ski TR's I think it's fair game to comment on this as a replacement within a ski forum.

While on the subject, I should mention that we rode the Arizona Snowbowl six pack with 4 ladies who were about to embark on a 2+ week RV trip as far as Yellowstone. I described the Grand Adventure website to them and they seemed interested.

Tony Crocker":5jz3k1m5 said:
FTO's readers, and skiers in general, are not the intended audience of this video.
Agreed

Tony Crocker":5jz3k1m5 said:
this is not a good format for ski TR's.
Agreed

My point is that you're tilting at windmills exhorting him to resume traditional TRs about Alta, even weekly summaries, taking into account the time-intensive nature of shooting and editing these videos. You're expecting Admin to be the Alta version of Bill Handley at Fernie, and he was for many years; however, he's found a new passion and you'll have to let it go even though it's an inconvenience because you relied on his detailed reports. It's far less of a loss for me because Alta/Snowbird isn't my personal ne plus ultra ski circuit.

Tony Crocker":2fgcrpw5 said:
Nonetheless, in the absence of traditional ski TR's I think it's fair game to comment on this as a replacement within a ski forum.
Not really, as it was never intended to be a ski TR or a replacement for a traditional ski TR - it's an RV travel video that happens to have some ski content, hence the cross-post here.

Regarding the "traditional ski TR" - frankly, I've never really seen the point of them for the most part, especially the meticulous detail of *every* lift ride and run, along with any decision making as to which run to do, along with minutia about how so-and-so missed the turn and went to the wrong lift and then we arranged to meet up at such-and-such mid-mtn. lodge yadda, yadda, yadda.....yawn.
It's just spray and fairly useless for any kind of trip planning. A resort or area feature article is far more useful for that. I read perhaps 0.10% of the TRs, and that's rarely more than a skim. The pictures are usually nice though.

Admin's sentence or two about Alta on a given day posted to his/FTO's FB page is more than adequate to get a feel for current conditions.

I think we should all be talking about the elephant in the room about this post.... That horrible baby-throw-up colored helmet :p :troll:

Admin must be trying to re-live the late 80's/early 90's with that color scheme :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I didn't try to watch yet as I have little enough time as it is lately, but agree that the % of skiers interested in RV'ing at a resort during winter is tiny. That said, this is Admin's playground as it were, so whatever floats his RV. It doesn't detract from FTO, just not a topic very many will have an interest in, over here on this side of Admin's multi-media pursuits.

Carry on :sabre fight: :snowball fight:

EMSC":s5ml00su said:
I think we should all be talking about the elephant in the room about this post.... That horrible baby-throw-up colored helmet :p :troll:

Hey, hey, hey! That's led to a bunch of new nicknames this season including:

• Green Flash
  • Sweet Pea
  • Split Pea

Admin":2ily08p4 said:
EMSC":2ily08p4 said:

Hey, hey, hey! That's led to a bunch of new nicknames this season including:

• Green Flash
  • Sweet Pea
  • Split Pea
You forgot pukehead!

EMSC said:

I just wish all the admins around here wore helmets...

Back