Helmet recommendations

Patrick

I am looking for a helmet.

I am no fan of helmets and I don't want to go into a debate how great they are or bad or why I'm not skiing with a helmet, etc.

Last year I had to find one at the last seconds in the last Master race of the year (the finals). The ski area where the race was held had mandatory helmet rule for GS races (FIS rule). The helmet that I found gave me a neck injuries, even If I didn't fall or didn't go anything abnormal (I still have a pain in the neck). I know the helmet didn't fit properly and was fairly heavy.

Here is what i am looking for:

Very light.
Not bulky.
Excellent hearing.
Plus high safety requirements.

This helmet will generally be used for racing. I got a skin suit this year, I should get a helmet for GS at least. :roll:

Is there's a website where there's a list and categorie of what out there? I know that there's a few ski guides, but I never really found a good helmet guide.

Don't know of an online helmet guide, but I own both a Boeri Myto Air and a Giro Nine.9, and the latter clearly meets all of your parameters, and is among the best ventilated models on the market.

I can also recommend the Giro 9 . Just bought one last month for $110.00 cdn . Not sure if this price is good but tried it on looking for new goggles and liked the helmet so much that I bought it as a replacement to my standard soup bucket helmet.

fwiw, the giro9 is so light weight and unrestrictive that i often have to switch to a hat when it is extremely cold out because i can't get the goggles and helmet to cover up all the skin together. the loose ear flaps are excellent on those april days but don't get the job done during the dead of winter on the coldest of afternoons. if you buy the giro9, realize you will need to bring a winter hat for back up on the coldest of days. everyone else seems to swear that helmets are warmer but i have not found this to be the case with the giro9. i still swear by it since it is so light weight and unobtrusive and vents out really well for spring skiing.

riverc0il":312a8ftl said:
fwiw, the giro9 is so light weight and unrestrictive that i often have to switch to a hat when it is extremely cold out because i can't get the goggles and helmet to cover up all the skin together.

True, it doesn't seal as well as my Boeri, but on days that I need to I wear a thin skull cap-style hat underneath, or for brutal days I wear a balaclava underneath (I did that even with the Boeri). For spring days, you remove the vent caps, the ear flaps and the neck guard from the Giro and it feels like a bicycle helmet.

One other word of advice: helmets are like ski boots, the best one for you is one that fits your uniquely-shaped skull the best. And bring your favorite goggles with you -- some goggles don't fit well with some helmets, and you need to ensure that the shape of your goggle frame makes a tight seal against the opening of the helmet.

riverc0il":2qw0pzly said:
if you buy the giro9, realize you will need to bring a winter hat for back up on the coldest of days. everyone else seems to swear that helmets are warmer but i have not found this to be the case with the giro9. i still swear by it since it is so light weight and unobtrusive and vents out really well for spring skiing.

I am taking baby steps... first, I'll used the helmet only for my GS races and see how it goes, then maybe the slaloms. Freeskiing for now will still be helmet-less (unless there are many hasards). You can call me a rebel, however I don't think that I would ride a motorcycle without a helmet. Come to think about it, I wouldn't ride a motorcycle, period. :lol:

Admin":2qw0pzly said:
you need to ensure that the shape of your goggle frame makes a tight seal against the opening of the helmet.

I was definately thinking about that.

Thanks gang.

Patrick":2xorlg2g said:
I am taking baby steps... first, I'll used the helmet only for my GS races and see how it goes, then maybe the slaloms. Freeskiing for now will still be helmet-less (unless there are many hasards).

I made a similar comment when I bought my first helmet. I was traveling around Montana with Mike Bernstein, who uses that nick here at Liftlines occasionally, and we were skiing some pretty hairball stuff off The Ridge at Bridger. A shop in Bozeman had every helmet marked at 50% off, and we figured that we might as well each get one. I expected to dislike it and intended only to use it in dangerous terrain. but you know what? I fell in love with using it. it was cozier and warmer than a hat, it keeps you dry on wet days, and it allows you to raise your goggles without fogging them while they're on your forehead. I've worn one ever since, and so has Mike.

So, don't be surprised if you actually like wearing it.

Ditton on the 9, and the balaclava on colder days. I sometimes wear a thin cycling headband under it for mid-cold days when I need just a little more ear protection.

The new 9's have MP3 earphones built-in. Dang, I'd love to try it with my ipod on an epic powder day, but I don't think it's a good idea safety-wise, especially when trying to be a good buddy in the trees...

Back