Ski Buying

Ed

Hi,
Hope you don't mind an englishman posting here, but I rather like the friendliness on show.

I am about to purchase some skis for the first time and was hoping you could offer your advice.

living in the Uk isnt the most helpful place for skiing opportunities, and as such I have come to the sport quite late starting aged 16. I am now 19. I have had quite a lot of experience having "vacationed" (just to put you at your ease) 4 times, 3 of which being in Chamonix for ten days behind a guide who walked me through almost everything.

Of course this is pretty limited experience I know.. and my skiing is not hugely elegant but I can tackle all of the mountain and particularly enjoy off piste, and deeper snow (not done much). My bump technique is pretty slow and steep heavy snow I find hardwork. I can carve reasonably well on everything except steep stuff which i think is more to do with not wanting to die.

Ski-wise i have been looking at Atomic Metron m 11 (B5 too hard?) and some of the Dynastar offerings. I am drawn to the all-mountain or freeride side of things as I find piste-skiing less exciting. I have been hiring Scream Limiteds for the last 2 times and finding them a bit dull, but competent at high speed and good off-piste. oh and I have Lange crl 90 fr boots which are great.

The Dynastar legend series appear to be what I want? I first looked at the 8000 but perhaps it would be too much for me, given my limited experience and the other crucial fact that i am 5 foot 9 1/2 but weigh only 125 pounds (I eat all day, honest). So i was thinking about the 4800. would this be ideal for me? I want a ski that will last a while. Ive heard this might be a good touring set-up for later as well; being quite light. (?)

Thanks for your help, and apologies for the long first post. Keep up the good work, oh and please post some more online-videos in the middle of July.

Ed

The Dynastar legend series appear to be what I want? I first looked at the 8000 but perhaps it would be too much for me, given my limited experience and the other crucial fact that i am 5 foot 9 1/2 but weigh only 125 pounds (I eat all day, honest). So i was thinking about the 4800. would this be ideal for me? I want a ski that will last a while. Ive heard this might be a good touring set-up for later as well; being quite light. (?)
i was going to suggest the 4800 after i read the first few paragraphs of your post. it is hard to gauge your ability level based on what you wrote, but it sounds like you are a lower level advanced skier? i wouldn't use the 4800 for a touring ski, i have used the 8000 and what is essentially the 8800 for touring and both are excellent. maybe too much ski for you if you have to ask if it would be. do you have demo days on that side of the pond? i recommend demoing as many skis as possible, even if someone recommends a ski that works well for them, it does not mean it will work well for you.

Well.. There is a snow-dome (indoor snow!?) and shop that lets you test them.. so I think I will try the 4800 and see what i think.. but its a short, and shallow-gradient slope, so im not sure how much ill learn.

Do you think that the 4800 + light person would ski quite similarly (apart from sidecut) to the 8000+ heavier skier? Im wondering if weight is all-important in this equation. If not i might be able to handle a stiffer ski which i can grow into; for that future cliff-hucking, couloir straight-lining time of my dreams.

Thanks for your time

Ed":2hbpj2ra said:
Well.. There is a snow-dome (indoor snow!?) and shop that lets you test them.. so I think I will try the 4800 and see what i think.. but its a short, and shallow-gradient slope, so im not sure how much ill learn.
not likely considering you mentioned you are most interested in off piste.

Do you think that the 4800 + light person would ski quite similarly (apart from sidecut) to the 8000+ heavier skier? Im wondering if weight is all-important in this equation. If not i might be able to handle a stiffer ski which i can grow into; for that future cliff-hucking, couloir straight-lining time of my dreams.
weight isn't the issue here, the issue is skill and ability. from my experience having been on the 4800 and 8000, the 4800 seems geared towards folks looking to ski non-groomed stuff that are not experts, it's an 8000 with training wheels if you would. heavy skiers would likely bully the 4800 but i can't see a lighter skier having any issues with either. you won't likely grow into a ski that is beyond your ability level, it would most likely hold you back if anything. just my two cents...

don't sell short other lines either. while i love my legends, they aren't for everyone and there are lots of other great skis out there. demo demo demo, etc.

The 8800's are a great touring ski for the US, but in Europe they tend toward narrower and lighter skis as the tours tend to cover distance rather than the steeps we tend to hit here. You could also look at the 8000. Great ski super versatile

Back