Montana Snowbowl, Feb. 4, 2012

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
The "q" portion of my trip got shortened as I now needed to be in Jackson Feb. 5 to meet Liz, who decided to join me for the last week of my trip.

So as coldsmoke noted the options for Feb. 4 were Lost Trail, Discovery and Snowbowl. Lost Trail makes the drive to Jackson more tedious, Discovery is not fully open, so I chose Snowbowl. I was quite sure Snowbowl had the most interesting terrain, but there were potential issues with the south exposure plus being there on a Saturday with just 2 double chairs. Snowbowl was indeed busy on Saturday with lots of local kids up for weekend programs. But in the morning many of them were using a T-bar serving a race course and I had just a few minutes wait for the 2,000 vertical Grizzly chair ~10AM. Only on my final ride ~3:15PM on the upper 1000 vertical Lavelle Creek lift did I wait more than 5 minutes.

As for the skiing, I felt right at home at an area eerily similar to Mt. Baldy at home. It's amazing to see all these local kids in lessons, because every run I saw marked green would be blue at 95% of the ski areas in America. For the true first timer there is a rope tow at the bottom, period. So if these kids persist with skiing they become very good in relative short order. The smaller kids are not supposed to ride lifts without an adult, so singles are requested to ride up with those in classes. I rode up once with 6 year old Corey, who had to be picked up by the liftie on the center bar chair even though he was already skiing the steep bowls. This was the same procedure I had to use with Adam at that age on the Thunder chair at Baldy. Corey was about a year ahead of Adam in skiing that level of terrain. Smart kid too, very articulate on the ride up and his dad owns a software company in Missoula.

I cruised a couple of the groomers on Lavelle Creek to warm up. Then I rode a lift with a local Mark, who offered to show me a first run into the 2,600 vertical main bowl. This was the second day of full sun, so with relatively steep fall lines all at least partially south exposed one had to pay close attention to aspect and time of day like a spring day at Baldy, despite it being early February in Montana at about 30F.

We skied the scattered glades of Far East, which faced more west than south and with trees providing shade retained a packed powder surface. The same was true of mogulled Angel Face and skier's left of Chicken Chute. The latter 2 runs are in the center of the pic below with Far East the open patch in the trees above left of Chicken Chute.
IMG_2113.JPG

We then rode up Grizzly and Mark thought the Grizzly run paralleling the lift and facing SE into the morning sun might be softening up. I decide to go that way too, but by the time I got to the top of the run Mark was already disappearing into the trees at the bottom of the first pitch, despite skiing on skinny 20 year old 205 cm skis in the spring moguls. The snow had softened but the run of 2,000 vertical was still a workout.
IMG_2112.JPG

Next 2 laps I used both lifts to ski East and West Bowls from the top. These visible here looking up from the Grizzly chair.
IMG_2122.JPG

These runs are reminiscent of Holcumac and Eric's at Baldy in topography, exposure and surface conditions. They are longer ~2,000 vertical and get far more consistent snow coverage than Baldy. I did inquire with the locals about the south exposure and came away with the impression that I saw one of the better days there. A week ago it was colder and there had been high winds that packed the recently fallen snow in the bowls into windbuff. One of the locals raved about how easy the skiing was in that condition, implying that it was not a common occurrence. Therefore when the warmup hit on my weekend the surface layer softened into corn over a supportable base. If the warmup occurs over tracked up powder the skiing can be grueling as I've observed in March at Jackson.

Unlike my fair weather Saturday, I was told the low capacity lift system is overwhelmed on powder days. It can take over 2 hours to get on the mountain so people start showing up at 7AM, another Baldy analogy.

One way Montana Snowbowl is NOT like Baldy is food service. There is a wood-fired pizza oven and I had a delicious jerk chicken quesadilla for lunch.

After lunch I got in 3 more top to bottom runs. Top of the mountain from Grizzly lift.
IMG_2123.JPG

View down one of the West Bowl variations.
IMG_2124a.jpg

View toward Missoula halfway down West Bowl
IMG_2128.JPG

Next was West Ridge, which really wore me out as the snow was less smooth than East an West Bowls.
IMG_2132.JPG

Notice the tree shadows directly facing me. This was about 2:30PM so there was also occasional crunchy snow in the shade.

Last run up top I took it easy, following the flat North Dakota Downhill around to the groomed Paradise run.

22,000 vertical and exhausting like many of my Baldy days. Except this time I get only one day off before taking on Jackson Hole.

Another nice report Tony, can certainly agree with a lot of your experience and thoughts with regards to the snow on the front side in various conditions. I love Snowbowl, usually go there on my first day of the trip but now I keep my gear in Philipsburg it does not work out so may have to visit during the rest of my trip in March on route to/from Whitefish or BC.

I'd add though regarding the "Discovery is not fully open". That is certainly true, however to the none initiated I think that is a little misleading. There are only 2 runs not open at present that normally would be by now. Northern Lights on the front side Jubilee lift which is no great loss and Old #7 which is a short section on the backside. That for me is pretty damned close to fully open. However where Discovery struggle is that they are now including the new Silver Chief lift which ain't ran all season in their figures giving 82% open. That lift in a banner year last season was closed by mid March for the season after opening early January and only ever opens Fri/Sat/Sun. Although it increases the acreage and vertical I for one do not see it as a loss if it is not open therefore my 82% does me just fine. It looks flat cruising terrain which is not why I like Disco.

From conversations back in 2010 with a local liftie he was able to tell me that there would not have been enough snow that year to open the lift at all so i am extremely sceptical what they will do in the future. I think it has been built so that if/when they build the access road from Philipsburg the lift from the new parking/lodge is in place and for me may need snowmaking installed over there to make it practical. Only my opinion though.

q":3e3j8vwa said:
I think it has been built so that if/when they build the access road from Philipsburg the lift from the new parking/lodge is in place and for me may need snowmaking installed over there to make it practical. Only my opinion though.

That's my understanding as well. The grapevine has been reporting that the access road would go right through an elk winter range and that is the hold up. It has also been debated on how much time that access road would actually save Missoula skiers going to Discovery. Either way, as q said, that lift is at such a low elevation it would require snowmaking in most years.

Good stuff. Looks like a fun place. Was very close to veering over there from P-Burg on our trip last March, but didn't make it.

coldsmoke":2ykecrht said:
That's my understanding as well. The grapevine has been reporting that the access road would go right through an elk winter range and that is the hold up. It has also been debated on how much time that access road would actually save Missoula skiers going to Discovery. Either way, as q said, that lift is at such a low elevation it would require snowmaking in most years.

Frankly, i've never seen a problem going up the road as it is. Around 2003 I had a normal, small 2WD car in 12" of snow and got up no bother at all from Drummond. i find it hard to believe a road to the backside would make an difference but again thats only my opinion.

Back