Jackson Hole, WY, Feb. 9, 2012

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
This was our last day skiing Jackson but the first of 4 for our Iron Blosam friends Mark Meisner and Eddie Cooke. Since it was their first day ever in Jackson we provided some guide service. Weather was much warmer at the base than the previous 3 mornings but there was an inch or two new snow and with intermittent clouds and flurries the snow was still holding up well. Mark and Eddie took a gondola warmup before we arrived. We took a tram up to Rendezvous Bowl and Wally World, then up Sublette to Tensleep Bowl and the Cirque. Mark Meisner cruising below the Cirque.
IMG_2225.JPG

Next tram up we took them out the upper Rock Springs gate, traversed not quite so far out as Monday. We skied some down a broad open slope, saw a convex rollover and bailed out far enough skier’s right to see our way down. There had been a bit more new snow up here and it skied silky smooth.
IMG_2226.JPG

Below we get a good view of the rock band with a couple of chutes with tight choke points this year but probably great runs most seasons.
IMG_2230.JPG

But here’s what happened to a snowboarder who didn’t navigate properly!
IMG_2230a.jpg

We were far enough skier’s right to ski mostly where Liz and I had been Monday. Thus we missed Split Rock but no one complained with the excellent snow. We got split up in the trees and regrouped at the base of the Hobacks.

After lunch we showed Mark and Eddie the Why Not gate. The long south slope that needed snow or sun had a little bit of both on the upper half and skied fairly well. The lower part was crunchy but not as firm as on Wednesday. By the time we got up the tram again it was after 3PM. Mark and Eddie went out the top Rock Springs gate on their own this time. We skied Tensleep with a view up Corbet’s.
IMG_2231.JPG

Per Bob Peters’ recommendation we poked our way into the Expert Chutes. We found some good lines with just one narrow section.
IMG_2232.JPG

And a nice bowl below the chute.
IMG_2236.JPG

We went up Thunder for our last Jackson run of the trip and skied Paintbrush.
IMG_2241.JPG

21,300 today including a bit of fresh snow. Though I’ve been in Jackson 5 times this was perhaps the only time with typical packed powder conditions skiers see most frequently on western destination trips. 3 times it’s been late in the season with severe sun effect, and of course the last time in 2006 with Patrick was in epic fresh powder. So I got to explore more this time including 5 runs in Rock Springs. Liz and I are inclined to agree with those who say Jackson Hole is #1 in terrain quality in North America, so we were very pleased to be here with good conditions this week.

Tony
While I tend to agree with you about Jackson Terrain being #1 in terrain quality, how does it compare to both Alta/Bird together for inbounds? From Catherine's down canyon to what is it Tigertail? at Snowbird and everything in between it gives Jackson a run for its money. As for sidecountry, I guess Jackson is better. Also what do you think of Whistler Blackcomb in the same conversation?

For advanced/expert skiers, the 3 areas/combinations TRam mentions plus Squaw Valley are a significant cut above everything else in North America. Among those 4 it can depend upon one's personal preference. For sheer scale Whistler Blackcomb is best. If you are focused purely on the 40+ degree steeps Squaw might have the edge there. Jackson's forte is numerous long continuous fall lines. Under settled snow conditions Rock Springs is so accessible it can be considered part of most ski days and Jackson is not far off AltaBird combined in scale if you include Rock Springs. On powder days I would not be in uncontrolled Rock Springs, but it's hard to think of a mountain I'd rather be skiing on a big powder day than Jackson. Jackson has the lowest skier density of these 4 areas IMHO, which makes sense in view of terrain scale vs. skier visits.

In the real world I don't think any rating of ski areas, especially those with a lot of expert terrain, can ignore prevailing snow conditions over the course of a whole season. Expert terrain is not accessible period when conditions are bad, as any Squaw skier can tell you this year. In this category AltaBird has a moderate advantage over Whistler Blackcomb and a considerable advantage over Squaw and Jackson. If you're booking in advance you're most likely to have the most exciting terrain accessible with good conditions at AltaBird than anywhere else.

Back