Powder Mountain, UT 3/3/12 (incl. video)

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Day 44: Untracked all day.

Powder Mountain never fails to deliver, and Saturday was no exception. Given the crowding in LCC on Friday we opted to avoid that junk show on Saturday and head up to Pow Mow.

The size of our group, however, can't be understated for in addition to Tony Crocker and yours truly we also had mrgskier and his family, rdwore, Bobby Danger, AmyZ, Rogerk, my buddy Eddie who lives up there and two of his friends, and Flyover and a friend of his from Seattle. Bobby Danger bumped into baldyskier but I never met up with him. Keeping a group like that together is like trying to herd feral cats, and we broke up almost immediately when Bobby noticed on the first lift ride that he lost his lift ticket. Others splintered off throughout the morning, leaving a core group of 8 of us.

We figured that a good way to reach the Lightning Ridge snowcat would be to drop down from Hidden Lake through Powder Country. That turned out to be a truly bad decision for the junk show didn't avoid Powder Mountain on Saturday, either. We encountered a line of ~140 people waiting for the one bus bringing folks back from Powder Country.

IMG_2645.JPG

IMG_2647.JPG

IMG_2648.JPG

It probably took us a good 45 minutes to get back to the ski area, so I figured that Lightning Ridge would have a long line for the cat, too. It actually didn't, perhaps due to the fact that each run is now up to $18. No matter, skiing this much untracked is worth the price.

IMG_2649.JPG

IMG_2662.JPG

Crowding in other areas of the resort, however, continued. We showed up at Hidden Lake at 1:30pm, an hour late for our lunch rendezvous, and the line to place a food order still stretched out the door of the building. Seeking more capacity we skied down to the lodge at Timberline, and even there at 2pm there was hardly a seat to be found.

IMG_2671.JPG

I just bought food items that wouldn't require waiting in line: chili, Cheetos and a cookie. We still barely made it back to Lightning Ridge in time for the last cat of the day.

The snow quality made putting up with the crowds tolerable, and while I didn't hear that Alta was all that bad on Saturday I'm having a difficult time believing that. We noted that we got a Pow Mow lift ticket and two snowcat rides for less than the cost of a single day ticket at some Vermont resorts.

I haven't made a video in a while, and after the technological issues I've suffered through over the past 48 hours to get this one edited and compiled I now remember why I don't do one that often anymore. 720p HD is available by changing the setting on the lower right hand corner of the player. Enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even if you dont believe it Alta had nearly zero lift lines. Road opened and i was up there by about 845. I was doing a demo that day so I didnt ski much but the lines were nearly non existent. No new terrain dropped so likely not nearly as much new as you all had, but wow...that place was packed eh? What you guys get in like a total of 5 runs?

Looks fun...but wow..shitshow.

M

BTW, Marc_C: Even though the Cramps clearly had a very different meaning for that song than I did in using it for the soundtrack, I picked it just for you. :lol:

That was very interesting to watch. I am sure the video was a pain in the be-hind. Not having skied with you guys, I only had the still pictures to go on previously and: AmyZ is fluid, Bobby Danger is raw. Yeah, who knows what *I'd* look like on tape.
As for the whole quality-over-quantity thing: I think it should be expanded to say, "Quality over quantity when you have quantity up to your ears (as in, days skied). Only then is the marginal utility of extra quantity overcome by the search for quality." Okay, maybe quality over quantity, for short.

Just wanted to say thanks to Admin and the other FTO skiers for the free tour and camaraderie. Special thanks to Admin for shooting, editing and posting the video. I'm sorry it took me so long to say so, but I am just now getting back online for the first time since mid-afternoon Thursday, March 1. (My phone couldn't be dumber, I generally don't bother with the internet when traveling, and I just got home from back-to-back trips to Salt lake City/Ogden and New Orleans - now that was some serious culture shock! :lol: )

After we got split from the group at lunch, John and I lapped the poma/paradise/hidden lake lifts for the rest of the afternoon, finding lots of easily-accessed freshies all day. In fact, we went back for more on Sunday as well, and found the crowds significantly reduced and the deeper stashes of Cobabe well-preserved. I'll try to throw together some brief TRs over the weekend.

Back