Mammoth 5/7-8/05

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe I should just copy in the report from my trip April 9-10...

12 inches new Thursday night May 5, top closed Friday, therefore first tracks Saturday morning :D , about 7K of powder skiing this time. Upper mountain coverage looks the same as 4 weeks ago, so there is some speculation that July 4 might not be the end. Like Marc I'm tempted to try for a 12-month season this year.

There are some differences from April. As Marc also noted the sun is intense even if it's not that warm, and it's also coming from different directions, so some of the usual rules of thumb about snow preservation don't apply. For example NE facing chair 12 softened to spring conditions before SW facing chair 13. On May weekends about 70% of Mammoth's terrain is lift accessible, everything as far east as chairs 4 and 5.

The top opened at 8:45AM, so I hit Climax, Cornice, Wipe Out, Drop Out 2, Paranoid, Huevos and Dave's in search of fresh snow of varying quality. Fat skis were even more essential than in April, with Dave's and Paranoid having the best snow.

After lunch I decided to check out a few of the more exposed runs which are more accessible this year with the deep cover: Hangman's, Varmint's Nest and Philippe's. Saturday morning was blue skies and calm, but the wind picked up in the afternoon. I learned to inspect runs even more closely than normal in May, as Hangman's had dry carvable snow but a return visit to Heuvos at 1:30 served up hardpack instead of the morning's cream cheese. Huevos was particularly interesting as 4 more more skiers came into it in when I was partway down and I was bombarded with sloughing death cookies.

I skied 4 runs on chair 5 the last hour to finish up with 30,600 Saturday. Nearly the entire face of 5 had skier-packed and slightly softened but not sticky snow. This might have been my best overall May ski day (out of 52 lifetime), though I got a bit more powder on the 1998 Baldy day in my avatar.

I pushed hard on Saturday as I expected conditions might be difficult Sunday. As on the trip 4 weeks ago Mammoth did lots of grooming Saturday night, so there was lots of great corn cruising Sunday morning. Morning weather was partly cloudy with some wind, but the May sun still worked pretty fast. By noon a few flatter areas started to stick. Mammoth would usually be salting by now, but since it keeps snowing that hasn't been necessary yet.

In late morning I ventured up top and was pleasantly surprised to find dry windbuff on Cornice and Dave's. There was also some nice smooth snow on the lower part of the Avalanche chutes, which could be reached traversing from Gold Rush, and afterwards skiing down to chair 4. After lunch I went up top one time too many. The cloud lowered onto the mountain and I had a slow one-turn-at-a-time Braille run down Climax. At 1:30 it started to dump snow with increasing wind, so I called it a weekend after another 20,600.

Mammoth reports 7 inches new this morning and it could be as much as 2 feet by tomorrow. Mammoth's continent-leading snowpack is attracting hot-shot skiers from all over. I can't view this 10MB video of some of them at Mammoth May 7 at the moment, but reviews are excellent:
http://www.adventurefilmworks.com/Videos/May7.mov

Tony Crocker":1aajdjh2 said:
Mammoth's continent-leading snowpack is attracting hot-shot skiers from all over.

Website reports 13-15 feet. That's 156-180 inches. OK, if you count the high end you're leading. By the low end, you're not. Mid-mountain to mid-mountain, which is the only figure I've got locally, I suspect that we're just about tied.

Sounds like you had a terrific weekend!

yes, hot flick. thanks for the link. 8)

between your reports and marc's, i think after a few years of vermont living i'll be looking west! gotta love working with a company that has locations in nearly every state!

riverc0il":2bj2jwlq said:
between your reports and marc's, i think after a few years of vermont living i'll be looking west! gotta love working with a company that has locations in nearly every state!

You don't even need that. I just woke up one morning and said, "I'm outta here." No independent wealth that would enable me to leave that day, or even week, but I dedicated myself to working it until it happened.

River, you've got nothing tying you down. Do it while you can - you'll never look back.

Ok this is scary when you look at a video and realize that you're in the background slowly climbing back up the hill to get your ski that fell off. At least now I have more than just memories of the trip. That's a great video!

As we all know base depths are a very slippery measurement. Given water content differences and the massive amount of blow-in snow that the upper mountain gets, there is little doubt in my mind that the upper snowpack at Mammoth is much greater and will last longer than at Alta/Snowbird. This will be clear when we post comparative pics in July.

I have now viewed the video and can probably annotate the sequences as follows:
1. Opening getting out of top gondola and skiing past nearly buried sign.
2. Traverse across the top of Paranoid. That first straightline chute is in the area used for the Gravity Games a few years back and is shown at distance from one of my pics below.
3. Varmint's Nest
4. Star Chute
5&6. Top of the World. These are the cliffs between the gondola and Huevos/Rockgarden. Any line here has mandatory air.
7. This year's first-ever "backdoor" entrance to Hangman's
8. Diving Board, cliff launch right next to the top gondola
9. Back entrance to Hangman's
10&11. Varmint's Nest
Obviously these are elite skiers, and I probably saw a couple of these sequences in person while riding the gondola or chair 23. I'm wondering how many of them there were, because they got an awful lots of these runs in fresh tracks, and it was fairly tracked out by 10AM.

Now for my pics, really lame compared to the video. To quote FTO's Mark Renson, this entire season since October 21 has been "the best of times" at Mammoth.

video-chutes.JPG

backdoor_hangmans.JPG

philippes.jpg

orage_park.JPG

air_rotation.JPG

air_photogs.JPG

dry_creek.JPG

top_clouds.jpg

BB23":dq8rt9ly said:
Ok this is scary when you look at a video and realize that you're in the background slowly climbing back up the hill to get your ski that fell off. At least now I have more than just memories of the trip.

:lol: Small world sometimes! Welcome, BB23.

And thanks for the great pix, Tony. It looks fabulous.

Thanks for the conditions update Tony. If I am not mistaken, Jonny D from Toronto should also be around.

Everything is tied down, I just need to book my nights for the June 9, 10, 11 as my first choice was not available.

Looks like it might be Motel 6, unless there a better ski/lodging deal.

Planning to ski on June 9,10,11,12 and maybe 13, after that it will be a few days in Yosemite.

NOW, IF ONLY MY EMPLOYER CAN LET ME GO [-o< .

We're over 700" here now, but admittedly the typical Mammoth snowfall is more durable than ours.

What's this that I am hearing.

Last day July 4th!!!

Is this confirmed or is it a change of philosophy since David McCoy is no longer the main guy at Mammoth (I think).

McCoy died a month or two ago, but July 4 isn't unusual for Mammoth.

I'm sitting in the Little Cottonwood Park 'n Ride lot right now, waiting for Marc_C to arrive to go ski 28" of new! ;-)

Admin":1l0imy2a said:
but July 4 isn't unusual for Mammoth.

I was thinking that it was an EARLY :roll: closing if you consider the amount of snow received this year (only 10" from a record year since 1968-69).

There is no way Dave McCoy's death would slip by without a huge amount of media attention in Southern California. So I called Mammoth's marketing dept. Dave is definitely alive, and they do not know of any critical health problems. What has been in the media is that he is selling his 50+% stake in mountain operations.

With regard to Mammoth's closing date, the criterion is that Broadway (the run in front of the Main Lodge where the park comp was last weekend) be skiable. This is a slightly weaker condition than in the 1980's, when Mammoth was willing to run in June with just the upper gondola and chair 3. They are willing to cannibalize snow from closed areas to keep Broadway open.

I believe they have adequate staffing because the gondola runs all summer for mountain biking. They probably figure that the marginal cost for grooming, salting, snow maintenance is covered by weekenders when they have the full 2,100 vertical of groomed runs.

I would remind all that while Mammoth has run to July 4 about 30% of seasons, it has only ran past that date in two (5%). A month ago I would have said beyond July 4 is unlikely. Now I think it's possible, but marketing refuses to speculate because a hot June could offset the favorable weather of the past month.

Dave McCoy will be 90 in August, I think the 20th. As in 1995 there are rumors about keeping Mammoth open to his milestone birthday.

Tony Crocker":12s8av45 said:
A month ago I would have said beyond July 4 is unlikely. Now I think it's possible, but marketing refuses to speculate because a hot June could offset the favorable weather of the past month.

That's what I have wondering, I heard from Frank and saw on wunderground.com that Mammoth WAS going to close on July 4th, meaning no skiing after. :shock:

Back