Mt Bachelor Last Day for lifts 7/1/12

schubwa

I thought this past Memorial Day was going to be my last day of lift-served riding, even though we had 528" fall this winter and at that time we had hardly seen any melting. If you follow my posts you would know that it has been a very busy June with grooming and lifts open for many international alpine and nordic ski teams. The weather has been very cooperative, with stubbornly cool temperatures and frequent light snowfalls at the mountain. But the general public was not allowed to use the lifts, until this weekend.
Mt Bachelor announced last week they would open both the Pine Martin Quad and the Summit Chair for Friday thru Sunday this weekend. Today looked likely the best weather day so I waited it out. It cost $30 regular or $20 if you are a season pass holder. This is a separate "season" so I paid my twenty bucks and went riding.
Today marks the ninth month the lifts have been open this season. It's funny to look back and remember how much we gripe about how late the lifts open (usually the weekend before Thanksgiving). There is at least another month of primo corn on the volcanoes if you are inclined to hike, or just drive up to Timberline as they're open all summer.

P1010105.jpg

There was top to bottom skiing and snowboarding this morning, about 3000 vert. Here is Pine Martin Express, a little thin right at the bottom but tons of snow above. July 1, 2012.

P1010108.jpg

Here is around mid mountain. Not too bad.

P1010109-1.jpg

There was a cloud that kept things cool. The snow on piste was great due to all the salting the teams had done during training.

P1010111.jpg

Nice soft corn off piste, accessed by the Summit Chair. I think the 9 feet of concrete we got during the Martin Luther King storm really set us up for summer skiing this season.

P1010117.jpg

A view down Cirque Bowl from the true summit as it rolls over. That melt pond sits in a bowl rimmed by a terminal moraine that was formed during the Little Ice Age. The next photo was taken from the point of snow on the right above the pond.

P1010119.jpg

Cirque Bowl as seen from the Moraine. Pond skimming anyone?

P1010120.jpg

With an El Nino looming, we may have our string of deep winters come to an end next season. Or maybe not.

Patrick and I skied Mt. Bachelor Friday and Saturday. I sent Schubwa a PM on June 4.....

Schubwa":e1m2s08k said:
There was a cloud that kept things cool. The snow on piste was great due to all the salting the teams had done during training.
All 3 days were mostly overcast so I suspect snow conditions varied little. Saturday had a cloud on the top half of Summit but not enough to impede skiing, particularly since we had skied the day before and knew where the good lines were. The race teams were there through Friday, so that was the last day those runs were salted. So on Friday they were fairly firm with no sticky snow right up to 1PM closing. Saturday with no salting the popular groomers like Coffee got clumps of wet snow late in the morning. But less busy runs like DSQ were great until we left at noon.

Back