Mammoth, Dec. 4-8, 2012

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
I watched the recent storm closely and decided to come to Mammoth once it was over. After the last big shot Sunday it cleared out and the upper mountain was opened midday Monday. I missed that but as with many Mammoth storms the wind was violent and the new snow more wind-packed than deep powder. Total snow over 4 days was 53 inches near Main Lodge with a few hours rain Sunday, and likely 6+ feet above 10,000 feet.

Dec. 4
Chairs 12-14 were not opened Monday, so after a couple of warmups Liz and I headed for chair 12 just after 9AM. First run there:
IMG_1872.JPG

A close look at the trees shows encrusted ice, reminiscent of a few Baldy days. So the snow had a zipper crust and forceful unweighting was needed to make turns, particularly in the trees. So we then left Chair 12 via Bark Bowl.
IMG_1877.JPG

Thus we realized the top was the place to be. We started with Dave's Run. Check out the rime on this satellite dish!
IMG_1881a.jpg

Great windbuff and windsift on Dave's:
IMG_1882.JPG

Oddly, the mellower Roma's, just skier's right of Dave's, slid.
IMG_1890.JPG

We then took a couple of laps on Chair 5. Best snow was in Triangle.
IMG_1896a.jpg

Next run up top was Climax. The usually popular line skier's left had huge debris chunks.
IMG_1899.JPG

Best skiing was near skier's right.
IMG_1906.JPG

Far skier's right was wind blown with some sastrugi.

Next gondola up I had to check out Hangman's. The top wind drift is set back about 30 feet from its usual location dropping straight into the throat. Below the wind drift there's a mellow start into a convex rollover dropping out of view. There were small rocks in the throat where I had to make some one-at-a-time turns. Only pic is from below.
IMG_1913.JPG

From that spot I took a pic towards Cornice, where Liz was skiing.
IMG_1917.JPG

After lunch we skied mostly on 23. All of the Drop Out/Wipe Out variations had great wind buff/sift lines. The snow was so forgiving I did a couple of them nonstop, which is rare for me first day at Mammoth, much less first day of the season. The Wipe Outs:
IMG_1920.JPG

Liz on Drop Out 1:
IMG_1925a.jpg

Apron below Drop Out 3
IMG_1929.JPG

My last run was nonstop Wipe out 1 down to St. Anton. Going up Chair 1 we decided to do Gravy Chute before heading to the car.
IMG_1932.JPG

Liz could not bring skis on this trip because she brought scuba gear for the Australia dive boat. She was on the Blizzard Samba 166cm on Tuesday and loved the ski from the first run. It's 98 underfoot with a fair amount of tip rocker and just a slightly upturned tail. We thought it would be more of a powder day, but the Samba was great despite being mostly packed snow. A very versatile ski. We skied 23,900 vertical, a very high quality opening day.

Dec. 5
There was one last shot to the subtropical weather pattern. We heard the wind and did not get out the door until nearly 9:30 for what we expected to be the worst day of the trip. But when we got to the mountain the winds were moderate and the top was open. We did one warmup on Broadway, then headed up the gondola just as it started to snow. The cloud lowered onto the mountain and when we exited we were informed the top would be closing. Liz nixed my original plan for Climax, just as well because the run down Cornice was one of the most vertiginous I've done in a long time. I fell off a lip getting in and lost orientation a couple of other times.

In this situation one often retreats to the Canyon Lodge area to escape weather but it does not open until Friday. We took a couple of runs on Chair 4, tested the trees in that area and found the same crust as the day before on 12 to no surprise. We went into the Mill for an early lunch. Liz had a new demo, the Nordica Nemesis 161cm. and we planned to take them over to Gravy Chute after lunch since the top was closed.

But when we came out of lunch the snow had turned to rain at 8,800 ft. I figured we needed to get above the rain/snow line and our best shot with at least some visibility was chair 5. This was a great call as the new heavy snow was filling in and with the wet weather hardly anyone was there. We're glad 5 was upgraded to high speed because we got 5 runs in before our clothing got saturated and we decided to call it a day at 2PM with 3 more good weather days predicted ahead. Triangle, Sanctuary and Sliver were all good, but the last 2 runs on Face of 5 had the softest snow with not a track in sight.

Coming back to the car the snow was very grabby on lower Comeback and Easy Rider, so the rain had persisted below 9,000 feet for awhile. When Canyon/Eagle open on Friday it will be best to stick to the groomers over there at the lower elevations. But I expect the upper mountain to be at least as good the next few days as it was Tuesday.

The Nordica Nemesis is also 98 underfoot but with a flat tail. Liz liked it but not as much as the Blizzard Samba. We skied 13,000 vertical on a short day with no pics due to bad weather and visibility. I was in goggles after 10AM for the rest of the day.

thanks for the report, Tony. I'm trying to make the call to come up today ....I was watching the temperature yesterday and saw the rather warm temps --

also wondering if it's going to be a zoo this weekend..........I kinda have a feeling I know the answer.....

when are you headed back?

Chair 13 actually did open on Monday, so we were able to track up Hemlock. We later hiked Starr Chute, but were probably the only ones who did so and White Bark never really got tracked out.

The delay on opening 14 was due to extreme icing/riming of the lift, much as happens often at Baldy. Today was the first time it ran.

Dec. 6
Best day yet, and certainly impressive for this early in the season. But maybe not for everybody. The rain/snow line stayed at 9,000 for the storm all yesterday afternoon and the snow at the base of chair 2 early and late was frozen granular by anyone's definition. So we rode that chair only once more all day. The opening of Canyon/Eagle tomorrow is going to be interesting. Mammoth has one of the best grooming fleets anywhere so I expect it to be manageable, but you do not want to go off the groomed below 9,000.

We took a warmup on face of 3, good but not as soft as 5 on Wednesday or as smooth as Tuesday. So we headed up top right away. First run was Dave's, fairly similar to Tuesday, then Climax with a bit more new snow. Tracks in Climax viewed from top of Dry Creek:
IMG_1941.JPG

We descended through Triangle and Dry Creek, decent but not like Wednesday afternoon. So we spent the rest of the morning on Chair 23. Wipe Out was great, but the Paranoids were the place to be with the most new snow. Here we are with the view into the Sierra backcountry next to heavily rimed trees near the top of Chair 14.
IMG_1944.JPG

First Paranoid 2:
IMG_1946.JPG

IMG_1949.JPG

Then Paranoid 1:
IMG_1952.JPG

IMG_1955.JPG

Usually P2 is the most filled in, but they were fairly equal today. P1 transitioned to windpack a bit higher than P2

P3 was the best due to very few tracks. First time there Liz didn't like the entry visible to her and did a repeat of P2. Our first run after lunch I showed her a better way.
IMG_1963.JPG

IMG_1970.JPG

By this time our legs were a bit cooked so we looked for something mellower. I was able to drop off the back right behind the top gondola and cruise this sun softened snow ~2PM.
IMG_1972.JPG

The people who skied 14 earlier did get more powder than I would have expected, as some cut up snow was still there.
IMG_1975.JPG

Profile of Hemlock's top center background.

The big rocks riding up 14 always make an interesting view.
IMG_1977.JPG

Liz was on Rossignol S7's today, an ideal ski for what we were doing today. They rode smoothly over the windpack or variable snow on the lower aprons of the top runs as well as being good in the dense powder. As an all around ski Liz would still take the Blizzard Samba though. 20,800 today, about 5K of dense but very nice skiing fresh snow.

Photos aren't visible, they're tagged incorrectly.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2

Admin":z8nkxgnd said:
Photos aren't visible, they're tagged incorrectly.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2

They work for me.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

As noted last year I load the report with picture numbers, then load the pictures. The picture loading can take a long time (well over 10 minutes this time and it was during the time admin posted). The server or internet connection can crash during the picture loading (especially away from home) and if so I don't have to rewrite the report.

Tony, why not just upload to a picasa account then just grab the urls to post the pictures? You do all the organizing on your computer and picasa automatically uploads to the cloud and keeps things as organized as you like. When I come home from skiing i just create a folder on my computer with the location and date then cut and past the pictures off my card into the folder. Picasa automatically creates the album and one click uploads everything (it'll resume if interrupted) and also updates with any labels, tags, or edits to the pictures.

Sorry for the off topic comments. Great pictures. Looking forward to getting up there in January.

Socal's method is a good one -- if I'm not going to crop, etc., I do the same thing. However, with the forums' bulk uploading function you can send all the photos to Liftlines at once. That takes me no more than about 30 seconds to do 8-10 photos.

Forgot to mention, Crocker...happy six-oh.

Great trip report Tony.Nice to see what is going on over the entire hill.
Thankyou for posting up all the pics.

Admin":1g6yh5pd said:
Socal's method is a good one -- if I'm not going to crop, etc., I do the same thing. However, with the forums' bulk uploading function you can send all the photos to Liftlines at once. That takes me no more than about 30 seconds to do 8-10 photos.
But with the PITA need to image resize and watch file size.

Marc_C":3dnkbk06 said:
Admin":3dnkbk06 said:
But with the PITA need to image resize and watch file size.

Plus with all the new smart phones out if you upload everything to the cloud you have access anytime to all you pictures organized and editing is sync'd. I imagine tony having a huge volume of pictures that are probably organized would take a few nights uploading to have all of it backed up.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

admin":e012hbp0 said:
That takes me no more than about 30 seconds to do 8-10 photos.
That's fine at your house or mine. But at a hotel you have to live with the speed of their WiFi. I have appreciated the desire of people to see pics with timely reports, which I did not do at all on the road until I got a laptop in 2010. This resulted in a delay of anywhere from a day to a couple of weeks between report and pictures. For a delay of 5-15 minutes between report and pictures, sorry I'm not going to worry about that.

Not many pics for the last 2 days of the trip.

Dec. 7
This was opening day for Canyon/Eagle and essentially 100% of terrain. Chairs 9 & 25 did not run but you could ski over there and continue on to Chair 15. We stayed away from the newly opened terrain early in the day due to the Wednesday rain line at 9,000 feet. We took a few warmup cruisers on chairs 1 and 3, noted the gondola had a mechanical issue ~10AM and so skied Chair 23: The Hump, Wipe Out 1 and Paranoid 2, all good though not as soft as Thursday. There was occasional upslope wind, so the entrances were a bit stiff. Once you made a couple of turns it was similar to Tuesday. I did get one pic of the sun peeking over the top of 23.
IMG_1978a.jpg

The cloud line above had some color that doesn't show much in the pic.

The upper gondola was fixed ~11AM, so we went over to Dave's, not quite as smooth as Tuesday and Thursday. From there we were about to start down Gold Hill but decided to explore the untracked stunted trees under Chair 9. There were occasional crunchies underneath but it was generally pleasant cruising in the late morning sun.
IMG_1981a.jpg

We eventually hit the rain crust, bailed out to the nicely sun softened groomer and skied past the base of 9 and down to chair 15. The bottom of 15 was a bit thin to no surprise. By noon the groomers around Canyon had also softened. We skied back to Main and met a few Mammoth Forum people for lunch.

After lunch we went up top and off the back for a couple of runs on Chair 14. We returned to the frontside via windbuffed Monument and skied down to the lower gondola. Last run up top was Climax, which preserved Thursday's soft and smooth snow quite well.

After a run on 5 we said goodbye to the Forum group and headed for Chair 22. Liz wanted to ski Shaft, which she remembered as a favorite run from her first trip in March 2011. I was on my wide Head Jimis the first 3 days but had switched to my K2 Recons Friday, so I had some concern about possible crust. Liz was right about Shaft: it was shaded and very few people had been in there the first day 22 was open. so the snow was soft, little disturbed by chunks that had fallen out of the trees, and we hit the rain crust only about 100 feet shy of the traverse out to the top of Chair 8, from where we could ski a groomer down to Canyon. Liz in the crux of Shaft:
IMG_1985.JPG

Liz was on Armada TST's 168cm. We skied 26,300 and my legs were pretty shot by the end of the day. Liz liked the TST's 2nd best to the Blizzard Sambas of her demos this week. The TST's easily rode over the crust in a few of the more challenging areas we skied.

Dec. 8
Liz' final demo was the K2 Missbehaved 169cm. I demoed the Blizzard Bonafide 180cm. This is the men's version of Liz' favorite demo and has also won some review awards. On a mostly packed snow day I wanted to see for myself if 98cm underfoot is indeed appropriate for an everyday ski. Adam came up to the ski house for his first weekend of the season. We met at Chair 3, took a few warmups, then 3 gondola runs. First was groomed Cornice but we stopped for a picture of the rare setback windlip and rollover into Hangman's.
IMG_1987.JPG

Then Climax, then Dave's over to Chair 22. There we skied Viva. I ducked into the trees where the snow was smooth but fairly stiff and the rain crust for some reason was much higher than on Shaft. We then did Shaft again, where the snow was stiffer than the day before but probably easier for me on the Bonafides than on the Recons. Our 3rd run on 22 was Avalanche 1, which is more filled in than usual for early season but still had a few features to avoid and a small firm snow patch about halfway down.

After lunch at Canyon we skied a couple of runs on 5, then finished up on 23 with Wipe Out, Drop Out and Paranoid 2. All of these are skiing very similarly to Tuesday with smooth windbuff and some loose snow on top.

Liz enjoyed all 5 of her demos, and with another 23,000 today had a nice day on the Missbehaveds. The Bonafides are very easy to turn and handled a wide range of conditions. Early in the day I thought maybe the tips were chattering on firm snow. But I was warming up some stiff legs and in late morning we skied a shaded frozen granular trail near Chair 4 and with more energetic skiing the Bonafides held well on the hard snow.

Thanks for the report Tony. Coverage seems great for early December (from someone that's never skied Mammoth).

Anyone heading up this weekend? Hoping to catch a ride to ski Sat/Sun from north county SD. Unfortunately GF needs the car.

jtran":2zp5jl0l said:
Coverage seems great for early December
10% of Mammoth seasons are 100% open by Dec. 1. 1/3 of Mammoth seasons are 100% open by Dec. 15. It's definitely a top 20% start, good enough to assure lots of Christmas revenue and get the bankers off Rusty's back. \:D/ I ran into Rusty at Main Lodge lunch on Dec. 6 and he looked pretty happy.

I will be back up there next week, midweek of course.

Back