Whitefish, MT Feb. 18, 2013

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
After a long drive from Sun Valley the prior day, Liz and I did not get up the hill at Whitefish until close to 10AM. Being President’s Day it was uncharacteristically busy. The key Big Mountain Express lift had a 5-10 minute line all day until 3PM or so. Whitefish got about 7 inches of snow over the previous 3 days. With the holiday there was no deep powder, but snow in general was soft as there’s a lot of acreage and skier density is mostly low even on a peak holiday like this. The vacationers tended to be mostly intermediates also, so there was a lot of loose snow in the trees and on the steeper ungroomed terrain.

Whitefish overlooks its namesake lake with the much larger Flathead Lake also in the distance.
IMG_2460.JPG

Consequently Whitefish like Schweitzer and Big White is famous for chronic cloud and fog. From town in the morning the only thick clouds visible were on the top of the ski mountain. By noon the clouds rose to be more of a high overcast with occasional sunny breaks. The cloudiness is overall a positive for snow preservation on a mountain with quite a bit of south exposure. Also if you’re going to be skiing on a foggy day there are few places one would rather be than in the Kootenays with their renowned tree skiing.

There was some reluctance to develop the mountain at Whitefish due to the exposure but local founder Lloyd Muldown had observed the clouds and fog over many winters with very good backcountry ski conditions. He used to say, “Let’s climb up that big mountain and ski there today,” and thus the name “Big Mountain” stuck and became the name of the ski area until just a few years ago.

Liz and I took our first 2 runs off the north facing backside. Here are the Black Deer trees.
IMG_2443.JPG

About 11:15 at Summit House we met Marketing Director Riley Polumbus who came to Whitefish 2 years ago from Steamboat. She is a telemark skier and we did another backside run on Marmot and nearby trees.
IMG_2446.JPG

We next skied to the Bigfoot T-bar, which only runs on weekends, so I had never been there on my previous visit in 2003. The backside of that is all tree skiing in Window Pane and Stumptown down to the backside Big Creek chair.
IMG_2450.JPG

We headed down for lunch via Hellroaring Basin, Whitefish’s most advanced terrain. Riley led us through Connie’s Coulee, which is gladed and west facing with perhaps the fluffiest snow of the day.
IMGP4725.JPG

IMG_2455.JPG

Whitefish is also known for its snow ghosts on the upper mountain.
IMG_2470.JPG

We called this one the “Snow Bunny.”
IMGP4730a.jpg

After lunch we skied Inspiration to Big Face.
IMG_2467.JPG

By now it was about 2:30 and Riley needed to depart. Liz and I took another Hellroaring run, this time on the longest sustained pitch. We took the most open line of Gray’s Golf Course.
IMG_2471.JPG

The Picture Chutes are to skier’s left but have a blind entry through trees and local guidance might be advisable for the first time there.
IMG_2476.JPG

Lower down in Hellroaring Basin in the trees.
IMG_2478.JPG

Our last run to the top we took Inspiration and dropped into the North Bowl trees. This is a prime powder area, quite steep, and you need to work your way gradually skier’s right to maintain good tree spacing. No pics in here as the light was not great late in the day. We had time for just one more cruiser on Swift Creek before 4PM closing. 18,400 vertical, a very good day. We were impressed by how well the snow was holding up at the end of a busy holiday weekend.

One of my favorite areas, thanks for sharing Tony.

Will be there for a day in a month's time I would think!

Hi Tony:

Glad to see that you got some decent snow at Whitefish. I was there a couple of weekends back, and while they had only had an inch in the past 7 days, I was pleasantly suprised by the show quality. We got some decent powder conditions all day Saturday off the T-Bar.

jamesdeluxe":n2forx37 said:
The Crocker Tour du Monde continues. What else is on the itinerary?
I should catch up a few more reports over the weekend when I'm at Mustang Snowcat. That res has to be made a year in advance so Liz will be staying in Revelstoke then. By the time we get to the Iron Blosam March 9 she may have as many as 11 new ski areas on her list.

Back