Logan Pass Skiing (Glacier NP), July 2, 2013

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
This was not an intended ski day, but since hiking trails from Logan Pass were still closed or snowbound and we had our ski gear it was our most attractive option for the final day or our trip. Glacier National Park was a good place to be during the western heat wave, which never affected us through the end of June. We were warned that our 14 mile RT hike over 6,900 foot Swiftcurrent Pass from Many Glacier on June 30 would be cold and windy but it was very comfortable. When we crossed to the west side of the park on July 1 it was 93F at Lake McDonald. And after skiing July 2 it was 96F when we arrived in Whitefish.

The Going-to-the-Sun Road is always slow and busy on nice summer days, but this year there is also a construction project on its west side with ~20 minute delays. Thus we were not geared up for our hike at the Logan Pass Visitor Center until about 10:30AM.
IMGP6680.JPG

We could dress light as it was probably close to 70F.

We also stopped for awhile because here’s what we saw at the top of the stairs.
IMGP6685a.jpg

IMG_4461a.jpg

These guys were no more than 50 yards away from the steady stream of tourists hiking over the snow SW to the Hidden Lake overlook.

We headed more due west toward the base of Clements Mt.
IMGP6692.JPG

There was one short strip of scree to cross.
IMG_4466.JPG

The snow was soft but supportable for hiking. Nonetheless we hiked in footsteps of a couple resting near where I planned to ski. Liz hiking with Garden Wall and Going-to-the-Sun Road in background.
IMG_4469.JPG

The Highline Trail remained closed because during the previous week someone slipped on the shaded snow patch above and just right of Liz in the picture, slid all the way to the road and died.

It turns out the couple from Whitefish were not skiers but had snowbikes which they were using as comfortable chairs to admire the view and look for wildlife with binoculars.
IMG_4472a.jpg

One of them took our picture when we arrived.
IMGP6696.JPG

To our south was Reynolds Mt.
IMG_4473.JPG

Hidden Lake overlook hikers are barely visible on a dirt strip lower center.

Liz starting to ski.
IMG_4475.JPG

I skied a NE facing diagonal line.
IMGP6705.JPG

IMGP6709.JPG

IMGP6711.JPG

The snow was moderately suncupped but so warm the suncup edges were not firm. My ski route in red.
IMG_4482a.jpg

My line was not continuously visible to Liz, so she traversed/skied far looker’s left in the above pic and then descended among the Hidden Lake hikers.
IMG_4488a.jpg

IMG_4490.JPG

Total skiing was 750 vertical feet.

After a hike or ski from Logan Pass on a warm day, the Weeping Wall is a good place to cool off.
IMGP6729.JPG

IMGP6730a.jpg

Logan Pass is not nearly as good a ski destination as the Beartooth Highway. But the scenery is impressive, and if you’re going to hike in snow, why not use skis for the descent? This was Liz’ first July ski day in the Northern Hemisphere. She skied in Chile after the July 2010 solar eclipse.

We were quite impressed with Glacier National Park, as well as Waterton across the border in Canada. I’ll hopefully get around to the non-ski reports later this month.

Nice!!! =D>

Didn't realize that you were going to ski after Beartooth. Sounds like you guys might have a ski streak going? When are going to be in South America? :mrgreen:

As noted we did not intend to ski in Glacier National Park. It turns out that late June/early July is "early season" for that park. The Going-to-the-Sun Road opened June 21 this year. Average opening date is June 7 and the range has been from May 16 in 1992 to July 13 in 2011. Early summer snow cover in an average year like this one in Glacier NP is similar to the same time frame during a big year in the Sierra. Thus some of the hiking is closed and the 2 backcountry lodges (which we weren't using anyway) were not open when we arrived. However, the waterfalls were abundant and impressive.

I have skied the past 8 months. Liz missed January and May. The start to South America's ski season is decent but not exceptional. She would like to go back there sometime as weather severely limited her 2010 trip. We are inclined to wait for a very strong early season in SA like 2002 or 2005.

FYI New Zealand did have an exceptional start to its season. Early July base depths of 2 meters at Treble Cone and 3 meters at Mt. Hutt are rare indeed. Nonetheless there are no guarantees with NZ weather. This weekend most areas are closed or limited due to high winds and there has also been some recent low elevation rain.

It is not clear whether I will ever have another streak like the 21 months Nov 2010 - July 2012. I'm unlikely to travel for June/July on a regular basis despite the past 2 seasons. If I did have a streak through September with southern travel or a huge Sierra year like 2011, I would probably look to scrounge October to push into another season. So another streak of 19-21 months is possible. I think it's extremely unlikely that would occur 2 summers in a row to go beyond that range though.

Glad you made it up to NW Montana. Twice in one year,You're quite the vagabond.
LoganPass can be lots a fun during a heat wave.If you spent the Fourth in Whitefish, maybe you saw the fireworks? Always entertaining,this year during the finally the barge caught fire!

We came home July 3. Yes, it probably would be a good idea sometime to spend the 4th in a more out-of-the-way area. We were on a hillside overlooking the Rose Bowl. Festivities have to be very late in a place like Whitefish where sunset is ~9:45PM and there's a long twilight after that. SoCal fireworks usually start ~9PM, as it's completely dark by then here.

Pictures were perfectly great! Looks like you had so much fun! It's really nice to spend heat wave in Logan Pass! The place is so awesome! It's perfect for park and ski adventure! :ski:

Back