Mammoth 7/2/2005

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
Mammoth lost a lot of snow since my previous visit June 18. When we stopped in Bishop (4,000 ft.) at 8PM Friday it was still 95F, after hitting 110 midday. It was 60 at the Main Lodge at 7:45AM Saturday and 70 when I quit skiing just before noon.

Two weeks ago there was speculation/grumbling about whether Mammoth would stay open past July 4. It's quite clear to me now why they won't. In 1983 and 1995 there was solid natural cover to the Main Lodge like 2 weeks ago (also in 1998 according to someone who had been there). 1993 was similar to this year but a bit better covered on the lower mountain.

As the pictures below show, it is quite evident the amount of work that Mammoth does to maintain quality skiing. In addition to the strips of snow connecting the lower runs back to Chair 1, similar maintenance was needed at the unloading stations of Chairs 1 and 3. There was the usual extensive job of grooming and salting, though with no overnight freeze the surface was not as smooth as 2 weeks ago, and Andrew quit after just 4 runs.

Finally, in contrast to Snowbird's massive lift line at Little Cloud, Mammoth ran 2 HS quads (1&3), the 8-passenger gondola and the fixed triple chair 23 to handle a similar crowd. Thus the only line was 5-10 minutes on chair 3, because it serves the terrain park Mammoth built in Saddle Bowl in late May. The operation of chair 23 in June midweek also stabilized the snow in Wipe Out/Drop Out, which had excellent skiing this time compared to rutted-out conditions in 1993 and 1995 when it did not run after Memorial Day.

With the warm weather I had a shorter ski day (20,300 vert) than on June 18 but skied 7 runs up top: 2 x Climax, Cornice from both gondola and chair 23 aspects, Wipe Out, Drop Out and Scotty's. It was still a great day of skiing from my perspective. However, I know from past experience that the combination of weather and skier traffic probably made conditions sketchier each day of the holiday weekend.

MLview070205.JPG

saddle_bowl070205.JPG

July4th_boarder.JPG

climax_bumps070205.JPG

scottys070205.JPG

ch23_070205.JPG

ch3_park070205.JPG

July4th_shirts.JPG

The front of this year's Mammoth shirt has its season dates, October 21 - July 4. I skied 10 days and 286K vertical at Mammoth in 2004-05.

My own Northern Hemisphere season of October 30 - July 2 is a record 246 days open to (likely) close, though it was only my second earliest opening and 5th latest close.

My days skied record will be broken in September, and if conditions are good I might get to 1 million vertical for the season. My powder record was 149K in 1998-99 and this season currently is at 142K. I hope to break that one at Las Lenas also.

My crude method for overall quality of a ski day is to add total vertical to powder vertical. 6 of my top 17 days were during 2004-05, though highest were only #4, the 44,500 vertical at Mammoth on Dec. 18 and #7, 29,900 vertical + 13K powder at Mammoth on Apr. 9. I had record vertical or powder+vertical days for the months of October, November, December, May and June.

The worst luck I had this ski season was when I spent the big $ for 3 days of snowcat skiing right after the infamous Tropical Punch in British Columbia in January. I also lost one of my 2 scheduled heliski days at TLH in March to weather.

i bow to your dedication to record keeping! i really like your quality season stat of total vertical plus powder vertical. nice way of quantitatively working it out as more verts generally means more days/runs and of course the more powder the better. wouldn't work very well for me in the east though when some of my best days are one run or off slow chair lifts in which sometimes the best days total the lowest verts. better consistancy of snow conditions out west also may work in that formulas favor out west whereas in the east, racking up verts means i am going top to bottom on groomers and likely there isn't enough snow to open up the harder trails or woods which take longer to descend and lead to fewer verts and are strongly influenced by fickal weather patterns.

It is often possible to run up a vertical total by yoyoing groomed runs on an efficient high speed lift. I have never done that as I always like to move around the mountain. I might be able to push that 44,500 up quite a bit at a place like Sun Valley or Mt. Bachelor where most of the lifts are high speed and most of the runs fast skiing.

I later found on the Mammoth Forum that there had been a charity vertical event at Mammoth on April 9, same day as my 29,900 + 13K powder. The winner skied 82,000, nearly all on chair 3, which has a 4 minute ride for 900 vertical. One contestant couldn't resist the powder and didn't start running laps on chair 3 until the top was tracked out. He "only" skied 52,000. So I'm still an amateur in this field.

Tony Crocker":1wn7htbh said:
I later found on the Mammoth Forum that there had been a charity vertical event at Mammoth on April 9, same day as my 29,900 + 13K powder. The winner skied 82,000, nearly all on chair 3, which has a 4 minute ride for 900 vertical. One contestant couldn't resist the powder and didn't start running laps on chair 3 until the top was tracked out. He "only" skied 52,000. So I'm still an amateur in this field.

Someone at wildcat skiied 128,832 vertical. The chair is like 6 minutes and over 2000 ft vertical, my record is probably around 40,000, gets boring though stayin on the groomers

Talking about pics, I have limited my choice of pics for my reports down to 59!!! :?

Once I cut it down more, I will start scanning. I will try to get something up by early week.

No, I didn't take a picture of MY t-shirt. :D Although I like my Endless Winter t-shirt, people still have a hard time imagining that I went skiing last month.

Back