Points North Heli, AK, April 17, 2014

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
Tuesday and Wednesday were overcast with occasional rain, so no flying.

We awoke Thursday to thick low fog but the weather radar was fairly clear. So we were told to be ready by 10:30 or so. The fog lingered so there were delays getting everyone out.
IMG_6140.JPG

We got out a little before noon and were pleased to see clear skies above the fog.
IMG_6144.JPG

Aerial view of Cordova Glacier.
IMG_6151.JPG

All of our skiing today would be on the north facing slopes overlooking the glacier. This was the same area I skied on my first good weather day here 2 years ago. Up high the new snow the snow was similar to that day but the transition to wetter spring snow was around 3,500 feet vs. 3,000 then. By mid-afternoon some of the lower and west facing snow was softening in the sun, but it probably needed a full day or two of clear weather to yield the nearly effortless corn of my second day in 2012.

First run was from Targhetto. Mike, one of PNH’s cooks, was skiing with us today and led the way first.
IMG_6157a.jpg

Our guide Duncan leaves a long trail farther down.
IMG_6163.JPG

Also skiing with us was Aubrey, who is the nanny for Kevin and Jessica Quinn’s 3 year old daughter Kinley.
IMG_6165.JPG

Here are Liz, Aubrey and Mike on our second Targhetto run.
IMG_6172.JPG

We next moved to Bullseye Saddle. Our tracks on its upper section:
IMG_6179.JPG

Overview of numerous lines from Bullseye Saddle:
IMG_6183.JPG

Liz waiting for Duncan to give the word by radio to start skiing lower Bullseye.
IMG_6184.JPG

We took a lunch break overlooking the Cordova Glacier while the pilot refueled, then skied down to it.
IMGP0455.JPG

For our next 2 runs we moved to White Wolf. View from there to most crevassed section of the Cordova Glacier.
IMG_6190.JPG

Liz following Duncan’s track down to pickup.
IMG_6195.JPG

Lower White Wolf
IMG_6198.JPG

Back on top of White Wolf we see another group above us.
IMG_6200a.jpg

The lower section of White Wolf went into shade ~5:30PM and formed a crust between our 2 runs there. Pickup with icefall in background.
IMG_6203.JPG

We moved back through our lunch run and finished on Targhetto West. View from top there.
IMGP0460.JPG

The 2 down days gave Heath’s knee a rest and he was able to snowboard the full day with a brace on it.

Another group landed near us for their final run.
IMGP0462.JPG

Their pickup
IMG_6207a.jpg

On the lower section here Duncan set a couple of traverses to put us in fall lines direct into the evening sun for a softer surface.
IMG_6210.JPG

Totals for the day were 9 runs and 14,000 vertical.

Views NW toward Valdez on the flight back to base.
IMG_6214.JPG

IMG_6219.JPG

Friday it rained all day. When I booked our flights last summer, I was pleased to get a clean connection home with a non-stop flight leaving Anchorage for LAX at 5:10PM after only a 3 hour layover from the Cordova flight. Last time I arrived or departed Anchorage at midnight and had 9 or 15 hours before/after the Cordova flights.

In retrospect this planning was a mistake. Cordova gets one flight per day in each direction, which also stops in Yakutat and Juneau between Anchorage and Seattle. The northbound flight leaves Cordova at 1:20PM and arrives in Anchorage in less than an hour. The southbound flight leaves at 5PM and arrives in Seattle at 11:30PM after the other 2 Alaska stops. Then you wait in Seattle until 6 or 7AM the next morning to continue home.

It's worth signing up for this travel marathon because people on the late flight can ski on departure day until 2:30PM. Naturally Saturday was the clearest day of the whole week in Cordova. #-o About a third of the people at Points North were on the later flight and got to ski another 4-5 hours. The rest of us used slightly over half of our 4 hours heli time Monday and Thursday and have credits for a future trip.

Random question. Did your heli pilot have a Jonny Cash sticker on his helmet? I happened to bump into a points north heli pilot last Friday. Not sure how he got out of Cordova prior to the end of their season, but he flys around here during summer.

EMSC":f20e6qxv said:
Random question. Did your heli pilot have a Jonny Cash sticker on his helmet? I happened to bump into a points north heli pilot last Friday. Not sure how he got out of Cordova prior to the end of their season, but he flys around here during summer.
Yes he did. He was our pilot on Thursday, Jeff I believe. A couple of the guides were on our departing flight to Anchorage Saturday. I've guessing they weren't full the last week and could afford to run only 2 A-Stars vs. 3 and fewer guides also. PNH was slightly short of full our week, so some other helis had 3 groups instead of 4.

Jeff does fly helis for firefighting during the summer. New Mexico is one the places he flies and they have had another subpar winter. However, most of NM gets more precipitation summer than winter.

Tony Crocker":2q1wsl8e said:
eff does fly helis for firefighting during the summer. New Mexico is one the places he flies and they have had another subpar winter. However, most of NM gets more precipitation summer than winter.

Yep, Jeff. I didn't get all that long to talk to him, so not sure exactly if he lives here in summer or was just passing through. Though the local GA airport is both a hub for heli's (with one of the few private heli flight schools in the US), plus also a significant regional base for wild-land aerial firefighting equip/retardant, etc...

Back