American Fork Canyon (UT) 4x4 - 6/22/2014

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
The Utah members of TacomaWorld.com and the Utah Tacomas & Toyotas Facebook group held their first semi-official meet-up and trail run today. These guys have been enormously helpful to me with getting things done with my Tacoma, so hooking up for a sunny Sunday seemed like a no-brainer.

My first hint of a problem was when Jake and I showed up at the Cabela's parking lot in Lehi, only to find that everyone else who had arrived had at best a lifted Taco or 4Runner, or at worst one that was lifted and heavily modified for off-road use. As more folks arrived I was relieved to see some other stock models, only to have my optimism dashed when I realized that none of those folks were actually going on the trail run. Except for an upgrade to 17-inch wheels and some decent Mickey Thompson tires, my Tacoma is entirely stock. No lift, no lockers, no sliders...no nuttin'. I've done some moderate off-roading, but I'll readily admit that my skills are nascient and I can't really afford to break anything expensive.

This was going to be interesting.

We ended up with 15 vehicles heading up American Fork Canyon (for the unaware, that's basically the back of Snowbird and Alta). The whole group stopped at the end of the asphalt at Tibble Fork to air down our tires, and I opted for 20 psi.

20140622_123831.jpg

20140622_123843.jpg

Three decided to head up Mineral Basin to Snowbird. I was warned by an experienced member that he wouldn't even think of going up Mineral without sliders. That meant that I'd join the other 12 -- Tacomas, 4Runners, FJs and a vintage Land Cruiser -- by heading up to Forest Lake.

20140622_132424.jpg

20140622_132437.jpg

20140622_132510.jpg

The Forest Lake trail begins with a ford of the American Fork River, followed quickly thereafter by what was for me the rock garden from hell. From what I'd heard I figured that the "Forest Lake Rut" would be the trail's crux. I was wrong. With some helpful spotting by Ben the worst thing that happened was that I landed my control arm on a big boulder. No harm, no foul.

20140622_133943.jpg

20140622_134055.jpg

20140622_134134.jpg

20140622_134158.jpg

20140622_134306.jpg

20140622_134347.jpg

20140622_140413.jpg

I needed some spotting on a couple of other obstacles along the 1.7-mile trail to Forest Lake. Just before the lake we arrived at the infamous rut.

20140622_143603.jpg

Aside from some water, mud and a seriously off-camber position that forced your driver's side toward a wall of dirt and rock, it really wasn't that bad. Here's how to do it on three wheels:

[facebookvideo]https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152287447803922[/facebookvideo]

Jake and some other dogs swam in the lake while I enjoyed a couple of cold Sierra Nevadas. Folks grilled food or ate a packed lunch. We hung out at the lake for about an hour and a half before heading back down.

20140622_144739.jpg

20140622_144813.jpg

20140622_145756.jpg

20140622_151130.jpg

20140622_160205.jpg

20140622_161252.jpg

I took a few more hits on the descent -- my rear differential, more control arm contact, and more than a few drops onto the frame. But with no permanent damage it was a fait accompli.

Back onto U.S. Forest Service road 085, which runs along the floor of the canyon, I bid the rest of the group farewell and headed east as they went west. I passed the ghost town of Forest City and climbed Pole Line Pass before turning north on Cummings Parkway, another Forest Service road that drops down Snake Creek Canyon to the town of Midway. I thereafter headed back up from Midway to Bonanza Flats, then on to Guardsman Pass to drop into Big Cottonwood Canyon between Brighton and Solitude to head back home. When in the world did they pave the road from Midway to Bonanza Flats? Once I hit the pavement coming into Midway I kept my tires aired down, figuring that I'd be hitting washboard on the dirt climbing to Bonanza Flats, but as I climbed and climbed the asphalt never ended. Once I hit Bonanza Flats I pulled over and spent 15 minutes airing back up to 35 psi as Jake wandered around the countryside.

20140622_183942.jpg

In the end I feel like I learned a lot today. It was definitely more difficult than I'd expected, and a whole lot more difficult than the trip up Mary Ellen Gulch in the same neighborhood last summer (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11066). That was just loose rubble, while Forest Lake had fixed boulders to negotiate. But like I said -- any day off-roading with no permanent damage is a good day.

I kept a GPS track on the day that can be viewed in Google Earth:
View attachment AF Canyon trail run 2014-06-22.kmz

Certainly looks hairball to me. Reminds me of the time I took our Xterra Pro 4x out to get to a hike here in Vegas (Bridge Mountain for the curious). It was my first experience in serious off roading terrain and I was petrified. Giant boulders, super slanted angles, it was pretty white knuckle. The hike is known for being pretty sketchy itself, but I breezed through it, impatient to get the return drive over with.

Sounds like yours was even hairier, considering you actually hit stuff on the underside of your car. There were times I swore I would hit, but never did. I didn't have anyone to spot, so at times I had to get out and scout a way ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Admin: your truck is too shiny and unscratched and undented. We'll have to fix that!
Here's the Narrows in Devil's Lane, on the other side of Elephant Hill. It is a mandatory obstacle.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G36wbsGG4Kg[/youtube]

Marc_C":1pp6ndat said:
Admin: your truck is too shiny and unscratched and undented. We'll have to fix that!

I nearly fixed that for myself last summer on the Mary Ellen Gulch trail, which on the south-facing side of AF Canyon is lined with stiff scrub oak instead of the conifers that line Forest Lake. Both sides of the vehicle came back heavily scratched from front to back, but that was solved with a few hours with a power tool and several different grits of polishing compound. FWIW, those clear-coat repair kits from 3M rock.

Marc_C":1pp6ndat said:
Here's the Narrows in Devil's Lane, on the other side of Elephant Hill. It is a mandatory obstacle.

Pffffftttt...that's a freeway! :-"

Admin":2me9u8kp said:
Marc_C":2me9u8kp said:

Pffffftttt...that's a freeway! :-"

Well, you do need to deal with Elephant Hill, Switchback Hill (aka Backside of Elephant Hill), Bud Hill and Coors Hill to get there! Might need to remove your spare from under the bed and toss it inside for those. Hummers have a distinctly difficult time in Squeeze Play (I incorrectly called it the Narrows above) - often mirror removal is necessary.

Back