Timberline 6/21 High Cascade Snowboard Camp

schubwa

On the way up the the Gorge with my travel trailer, I decided to stop at Govy and see my sons. I planned to drop the trailer off at Viento State Park and use it as base camp for kiting for the next few weeks. Carson is the oldest and he is the marketing manager for High Cascade. Since I wasn't planning to snowboard, he sent me into the demo shop and they hooked me up with 32 boots, Ride binders and a nice Solomon twin. Spencer is a snowboard pro and is starring in the Lick The Cat "Signature Session" in session one and the other riders are Olympians Sage Kotsenburg (Gold 2014 Slopestyle), Kelly Clark (Gold 2002 Half Pipe) and Gretchen Bleiler. Kinda proud there...

Spenny hanging with his pooch Pancho (who lives with me) in front of Cobra Dogs
IMG_1250_zpscffeadf0.jpg

Saturday morning from the parking lot at Timberline. You're looking at the center of the universe for ski racing and snowboarding during the North American summer.
IMG_1252_zpsadea25c2.jpg

Heading up the Magic Mile chair that starts right by the historic Timberline Lodge. This is the only ski area in North America that offers year-round skiing. You ride on the south facing Palmer Glacier, which I believe is more of a permanent snowfield.
IMG_1253_zpscd91295a.jpg

Up a little higher you can see the Palmer Chair. It's about 2300 vertical feet from the 8300' top of Palmer down to Timberline. Mt Hood did really well last winter as they are farther north than Bachelor, more up in the storm track this past winter. I observed very good coverage and I'm certain they received an above normal snowpack (back me up on this Tony).
IMG_1254_zps92e9511c.jpg

The Schubert boys posing at the top of Palmer under the Pearly Gates and Illumination Rock. I've yet to summit Mt Hood, the boys want to go for it with me. It's an entry-level technical ice climb but we want to ride down after skinning and cramponing to the top. We'll be taking a class and hiring a guide on this one.
IMG_1262_zpsef9b1c5e.jpg

schubwa":1w6ha0pi said:
I've yet to summit Mt Hood, the boys want to go for it with me. It's an entry-level technical ice climb but we want to ride down after skinning and cramponing to the top. We'll be taking a class and hiring a guide on this one.
I see interesting long corn fall lines on Mt. Hood, notably the one that starts under the cloud in this pic from May 11:
file.php

I'm thinking that's maybe a 1,500 vertical skin up from the top of Palmer, then a lateral walk in crampons, summiting not necessary. Are there crevasses up there? I'll be interested in the report.

I'm certain they received an above normal snowpack (back me up on this Tony).
Hood Meadows 382 inches, 84% of normal
Mt. Bachelor 400 inches, 104% of normal
I'm guessing there were more storms than usual where it rained at Hood and snowed at Bachelor.

more up in the storm track this past winter
Bachelor was just far enough north:
Crater Lake 240 inches, 55% of normal, very similar to some of the Sierra numbers for 2013-14.

That is the Wy'East Face. Skied it three years ago on July 4 weekend. You offload Palmer, traverse east as far as you can go, then cross the (to my recollection) crevassed White River Glacier, ascend its lateral moraine, then skin up/boot up to the ridgeline. You might want to hire a Timberline guide for that.

An easy tour is to buy a single ride ticket, climb directly up from the top of Palmer to the Hogsback, turn and ski down the Zig Zag (to the west of Palmer) until it gets sticky. Any easy lift assisted 5000 vf run.

Back