Stowe VT : June 1, 2014 – Skiing patches for 105 turns

Patrick

Okay, I finally got around to finishing it. Just before the last Stowe (and Vermont) patch melts. Yes, there is still one patch left. Now I can focus on my next day.

Stowe VT via Toll Road : June 1, 2014 – Skiing patches for 105 turns

It’s not only about the skiing, it’s about the adventure and the variety of the experiences.

June turns : I’ve ridden the lift and ski numerous days at Killington in 1990s. I’ve also ridden lifts in British Columbia in 1988 and most recently in California and Oregon. I’ve even driven up Mount Washington on a couple of occasions or hiked to the Tuckerman Ravine. Heck last year, I’ve even skied a huge patch of snow in the Laurentians at Mont Avila.

How about car-assisted June patch skiing? Okay this isn’t as hardcore as some maggots chasing California patches, but it all belongs to the same passion and madness.

Toll Roads and Autoroad in the North East: Whiteface, Washington and Stowe. Today marked the first time I made the drive up Mt. Mansfield. Toll Road accessed skiing in Vermont? Is there such a thing? VT_Ski invited me to come see and ski.

Click link to read and see much more....
http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2014/06/ ... 105-turns/

I'm guessing the surviving patches at Stowe were on runs where they make snow. Nonetheless it looks more interesting than Avila. From what I know of the eastern season Mt. Washington (above average snowfall and cool early spring at least) should have as much snow for July as Stowe had for June.

Tony Crocker":3nvc2dsh said:
I'm guessing the surviving patches at Stowe were on runs where they make snow. Nonetheless it looks more interesting than Avila. From what I know of the eastern season Mt. Washington (above average snowfall and cool early spring at least) should have as much snow for July as Stowe had for June.

Yes, exactly. I know talked to GPetrics and he mentioned that they blew a crazy amount of snow on Sunrise. I saw on Facebook that the remains of the Big Air at the bottom was still there on Monday.. Powderfreak was mentioned that the latest snow has survived at Stowe was July 5th. Superstar at Killington officially melted out last week.

The skiing vertical at Avila last July versus Stowe snow patches was something 28-30m versus 17m. But Avila isn't an option until the camp starts. The huge amount of snow (big air) is covered with hay in late April or early May to preserve the snow and is only removed for the start of the camp, which was on June 25 this year.

Avila was really the only Eastern skiable option last July as Tuck has melted out with the exception of an unskiable iceberg.
http://timefortuckerman.com/forums/show ... hp?t=15579

This year, I would seem that Tuck has more too often that Avila. I'll go check it out soon.

Back