Sipapu & Pajarito, NM

jamesdeluxe

Administrator
For those who recall my Enchanted Circle road trip through northern New Mexico five years ago, two of the locals' hills with lots of personality, Sipapu and Pajarito, are now going to be co-operated by Los Alamos County and Sipapu's management group.

They're offering $299 season passes that cover both ski areas and include three free days at a bunch of similarly off-the-beaten-path hills across the country.

Hopefully, this'll help address Pajarito's chronic financial instability, but the mountain only averages 150 inches a year and doesn't have much in the way of snowmaking, so who knows if that will get addressed.

I understand why most of the people here wouldn't bother skiing anything other than Taos, but northern NM's lesser-known hills (Pajarito, Sipapu, Santa Fe, Red River, and Angel Fire) -- while not overly challenging for aggressive skiers -- are fun too, especially if you catch an El Nino season.

jamesdeluxe":2oy4ej35 said:
I understand why most of the people here wouldn't bother skiing anything other than Taos, but northern NM's lesser-known hills (Pajarito, Sipapu, Santa Fe, Red River, and Angel Fire) -- while not overly challenging for aggressive skiers -- are fun too, especially if you catch an El Nino season.

The others notwithstanding (I agree that they lack steeps), Santa Fe has some good, steep old growth conifer forest to lookers left off the summit. Along with Taos it's the only place I skied for more than one day the last time I was in northern New Mexico.

lono":4wik1iaq said:
That's quite the geographic hodgepodge of fun little hills.
And amusingly only the ones in the Midwest have blackout dates. I have skied 10 of those areas, 4 for the first time last season.

admin":4wik1iaq said:
(I agree that they lack steeps)
If you want steeps in your bargain pass, check this out:
http://www.silvertonmountain.com/page/g ... icle_id=99
Even if you never set foot on Silverton, 5 days each at A-Basin, Monarch and Taos for $199 is a great deal. Silverton unguided skiing is the first 2 Friday-Sunday weekends in April (usually well worth it) plus December weekends (not so much with the steep terrain and sketchy early season snowpack).

Back