Snowboard in Himalayas - Gulmarg, Kashmir, India. Anyone?

imagex

Hey! I am planning a Himalayan boarding trip to Gulmarg, India in Jan / Feb 2015. Anyone interested… read carefully details below…

I am from UK and a qualified snowboard instructor under the Canadian Institute. I have a decent amount of experience snowboarding on and off piste in Canada / France / New Zealand.

I am also a professional photographer / videographer (see my site if interested www.samdcruz.com)

I plan to put together a sponsored trip to Gulmarg, I am pretty open to any options. Free gear, money towards travel, money for production work etc.

The idea would be to create a video package from the trip to show exploring the mountains on snowboards in Gulmarg and surrounding areas as an off the beaten track snowboard destination. Will include: untouched powder, scenic landscapes, adventure, local culture and a lot of cool boarding. We can possibly do a photography package for magazine pieces aswell, however, I would like the main focus to be on video.

I recently shot a magazine piece for one of the largest Paddle board manufacturers in California focusing on yoga on SUP combining with adventure (elephants, waterfalls, jungle etc). The shoot went well, the company stated they were the best SUP photos they had ever seen, see some shots here http://www.samdcruz.com/gallery/sport/y ... e-thailand . On this specific trip the video was a secondary venture, but managed to shoot and edit out something pretty decent with no other cameraman to help http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VDhur2rjis

I am looking to build a small team of fun loving, adventurous, experienced boarders. It would be a huge bonus if you are an awesome boarder with tricks up your sleeve . Would be great also if you have some kind of media / photo / video / marketing experience to contribute pro actively to the whole plan including helping on preparation and organization aswell as shooting and being on camera etc when we are there (if you have any camera gear great the more the better)

– who knows if this goes very well it could open up a lot of doors to replicate in other destinations 
Contact me and lets make this happen.

I strongly recommend you contact these people:
http://www.theadventureproject.net/gulmarg.html
I have had extensive correspondence with the owner Matt Appleford and even skied a couple hours with him at Alpine Meadows last March. He lived in Tahoe last winter but has since moved to Telluride. Their price for 2 weeks in Gulmarg is about the same as Extremely Canadian's price for one week. Given weather/snow stability issues, going for 2 weeks is probably a good idea.

Gulmarg is best described as lift-assisted backcountry skiing. These trips have a lot of avalanche instruction, and last year's trip was somewhat constrained by snow instability issues on much of the terrain. This is a trip where you want guides familiar with the terrain and in analyzing snow stability.

Most runs from the 13,000 foot gondola peak involve about 1/2 hour of skinning. When the gondola is closed most of the lower skiing in the trees are earned turns. Therefore Adventure Project requires skis with AT bindings and skins, though most clients are on burly fat skis and alpine boots. If your group is snowboarders you will need to have split boards for the uphill.

Hey Tony - thanks for the good info on this. The idea is to get some kind of sponsorship, value from professional video that will be produced etc so will contact them to see if they are interested. Sounds like you had fun there ;)

Back