Windham, NY 12/14/14

jamesdeluxe

Administrator
Due to work and child commitments, I started my season late; yesterday was Day 1. Early season in the northeast has definitely been above average -- a lot of people have already scored ten or more ski days.

After being in Manhattan on Saturday to witness the Santa Con celebration, yesterday at Windham felt like a family-friendly version of that (no booze and open-container violations) with Santa wannabes of all ages dressed up as part of a fundraiser. It was so popular that the resort had to cap the number of participants at 300. Windham ended up presenting a local food pantry with a check for $8,000:
004.jpg

002.jpg

My son Claude ready to get on the lift:
001.jpg

The 18 or so inches that came from the midweek storm made conditions beautiful, soft as could be, especially on the ungroomed runs. The forecast was for clear skies, but it never happened; the upper mountain was in a dense fog until early afternoon, which kept me from shooting in-action photos:
006.jpg

012.jpg

I took advantage of zero ice or hardscrabble to bring my son on his very first mogul run: about 500 verts on the skier's left that were very forgiving. He didn't fall once. Almost all of the main peak was open; the only disappointment was that East Peak wasn't running.

We finished the day with my traditional stop at the Cave Mountain Brewing Company for some burgers and Oatmeal Stout (apple juice for him):
016.jpg

Back