Copper Mt., CO, Jan.15, 2014

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
Neither Liz nor I had skied Copper since the 1990’s, so we decided to check it out for a day. I expected well preserved snow from the high altitude and mostly north exposure. What we did not expect was how much colder Copper was than Vail this week. It was 4F when we go to the free Alpine parking lot ~8:35am. Fortunately I had brought along a warmer fleece mid-layer, which worked well all day long. Temps probably stayed below 20F, though with clear skies and no wind it was very pleasant skiing.

We started out of the West Village, which serves a vast number of easy runs. We took a couple of blue cruisers on Timberline, then skied to Center Village and rode American Flyer. It was now 10AM and we needed a short thaw break. We rode Excelerator and skied the long Andy’s Encore run to the Super Bee lift. Then we took the Storm King T-bar and ran 2 laps through Spaulding Bowl and the Resolution lift. The first lap was the wide open but somewhat bumpy So Fine.
IMG_7345.JPG

The second lap we traversed out farther to Marvin Garden. All of the Spaulding runs funnel into Cross Cut and then to the Resolution lift.
IMG_7348.JPG

We rode Storm King a third time. View from the top of Union Bowl, then Copper Bowl behind it.
IMG_7350.JPG

We skied off the back to first Blackjack and then Mountain Chief. From the back you get a nice view of the north side of Tucker Mt. and a few tracks from Sunday.
IMG_7352.JPG

There ‘s a free snowcat at least part way up Tucker, but it only operates on weekends. We made a few tracks of our own in Upper Union Peak.
IMG_7356.JPG

We returned to the top via the Sierra chair and Celebrity T-bat. Copper bowl is the rare terrain facing south here, so we figured noon-to-1PM would be the optimal timing. Schaefer’s was lightly sun affected.
IMG_7359.JPG

The next run we traversed farther right to Iron Mask, who had chalky snow.
IMG_7363.JPG

The runout was a delightful meadow of snow and lightly tracked powder.
IMG_7364.JPG

Overview of Copper Bowl from the Mountain Chief lift:
IMG_7366.JPG

We returned to the front side via Union Meadow and some trees below it. We soon reached the T-Rex Grill at Timberline, but it was still cold enough for us to prefer an indoor lunch, so we skied down to Center Village about 1:30. We had soup and salad at the Incline, then rode 3 lifts up to the top of Storm King again. This time we skied Enchanted Forest.
IMG_7368.JPG

There was lots of soft snow in here because it takes several lift rides to get back to Enchanted Forest. We skied to the bottom, rode Flyer and barely got on Sierra before closing. Our last run was Far West.
IMG_7374.JPG

From here we skied to the East Village, finishing the day with 23,800 vertical.

Copper would likely be on all kinds of Top Lists....if it was in the Kootenays.

But the fact it's just 1.5 hrs from Denver, it's average from everyone's view. However, it has a nice little set of back bowls that should be expanded out. And a very solid experience on the front face...almost some Top 10 fall liners like Andys.

I'll echo EMSC's question from another TR thread: what's up with posting the out of focus photos? In this TR, the second one and the last photo are horrifically out of focus.

MarcC":1k9lpmky said:
I'll echo EMSC's question from another TR thread: what's up with posting the out of focus photos?
The camera issues EMSC noted on my Vail TR’s persist and are random but gradually increasing in frequency. So some Jackson/Targhee pics are good, some are just adequate and there are no pics for some sectors we skied because they came out too blurry. We will be home by the end of the week, so I should have time to investigate camera options given the dismal state of skiing in California in the near term.

I did not have time to look at Jackson pics much until last night, but we will rely on Liz' camera for our brief Utah stopover on the way home.

ChrisC":1k9lpmky said:
But the fact it's just 1.5 hrs from Denver, it's average from everyone's view.
IMHO Copper is fairly "average" for a destination ski resort, in both positive and negative ways. At the end of the day the comparison that came to mind was nearby Breckenridge. Average terrain quality is better at Copper, but the best of Breck (high alpine Horseshoe/Imperial/Whale's Tail, etc.) is better than the best of Copper.

Andy's is indeed a great fall line cruiser but Vail has several runs like that. Copper's Back Bowl has about 1/3 the vertical of Vail's and no more than 1/4 the expanse with the same south exposure issues. The north face of Tucker looks great, but still requires a hike. Steeps at Copper are no better than Vail's, a few short turns, then the pitch mellows out. Snowfall is very average for destination resorts and about 25% less than at Vail.

On the plus side, nearly everything but those modest sized back bowls faces north and the base elevation is 9,600 feet. By my snow score algorithm Copper is #5 in North America in snow preservation, a view supported by Colorado locals. Another point to consider: if you're trying to recruit a beginning skier, the green terrain on the east side of the mountain is vast and even extends 2,500 feet up into the alpine with the nice views. Copper has to be one of the best places anywhere to take a newbie, and there's still plenty of terrain to keep better skiers interested.

And of course skier density is clearly the lowest in Summit County due to the other resorts being on the Epic Pass.

Tony Crocker":2n25uavc said:
The north face of Tucker looks great, but still requires a hike. Steeps at Copper are no better than Vail's, a few short turns, then the pitch mellows out.

Tuckers is just not used properly by Copper. The cat service should be run further than they do, which would severely cut down the current hike while leaving enough to still discourage most folks. Tuckers is nicely steep without being 'extreme' style terrain. Best utilized it's a great powder stash. When it eventually gets a lift it will become bump city for the most part as it is not steep enough to prevent it (which is in their approved master plan, but given the more modest crowding at Copper it may never actually happen - this is a Powd'r resort after all).

How come you did not want to maybe check out the new Peak 6 terrain at Breckenridge? Seems like it has potential...?

ChrisC":vzpc39b2 said:
How come you did not want to maybe check out the new Peak 6 terrain at Breckenridge? Seems like it has potential...?
1) We were lazy, based in Vail, weren't going to drive over to Summit more than one day, particularly with Vail being in good shape and having locals to ski with there.
2) Copper is a closer drive.
3) I had skied Breck in 2011 but not at Copper since 1997.

Back