Jackson Hole, WY, Jan. 22, 2015

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
Thursday was also clear and cold with inversion and Ranch lot parking temps of 0F when we arrived. Liz and I started skiing on nearly an identical pattern as I had on Wednesday: Gondola, Casper, Apres Vous to Saratoga Bowl, which Liz had not skied for some time.
IMG_7527.JPG

Snow was gradually more packed out each day but still no melt freeze. Liz had the achy feet from the traverse out, so we skied 2 laps on St. John’s and Upper Teewinot before heading for the tram.

At the top of the tram we viewed the ridgeline to Cody Peak.
IMG_7533.JPG

Cody Peak is a tempting objective for viewing the 2017 eclipse if you have the time (~1 hour hike) and want to get away from likely crowds on Rendezvous Peak.

We skied Rendezvous Bowl to Wally World.
IMG_7536.JPG

Liz skied the Bivouac trees in background with her class Wednesday.

We rode Sublette and Liz went for a repeat run while I skied Alta 4. I had a near-miss getting around one rock crux but fortunately recovered. We regrouped and skied Buffalo Bowl to the base.
IMG_7544a.jpg

We had elk chili for lunch at the slopeside Handlebar restaurant, convenient and high quality reminiscent of the Rustler Lodge lunches at Alta. Snowbird needs to step up its game in this department.

After lunch we took another tram, and I deliberately looked for sun exposed runs for the mid-afternoon due to better light, warmer temps and that we knew snow quality was good nearly everywhere. First was Bird-in-Hand and next after riding Sublette was Dog Face.
IMG_7551.JPG

We continued on the sunny exposure to Split Rock. Up Sublette again we skied shady Tensleep Bowl and Cirque to Thunder and finished up with Grand to Lower Sublette Ridge.
IMG_7555.JPG

We finished with 24,300 vertical. Liz was fairly tired but seemed more in control at the end of a big day after her class.

Back