PCMR & Canyons Now One Resort

Marc_C

At 7300 skiable acres, I believe this is the largest in the US. In North America there's Whistler-Blackcomb at 8100. Anything larger?

http://www.sltrib.com/news/2783330-155/two-utah-resorts-become-one-park

Key paragraph from the article:
An addition to the Park City resort will be a high-speed, eight-passenger gondola called Quicksilver connecting the two mountains. The gondola will run from the base of Park City's Silverlode lift to the Flatiron chair at Canyons, with an unloading station in between on Pine Cone Ridge — what used to be the border separating the ski areas.

Marc_C":3n9y1v8y said:
At 7300 skiable acres, I believe this is the largest in the US. In North America there's Whistler-Blackcomb at 8100. Anything larger?

Nope.

514788b9d8e3d0f01e3c7d642647c41b.jpg

I missed being there in person when the Berlin Wall came down but there was no way I was going to miss this momentous occasion.
Especially not when there was free food. Did they serve hors-d'œuvre at Checkpoint Charlie in 1989?

This is us on the Park City side, 30 minutes before the armed guards left their posts on Pine Cone Ridge. The excitement is palpable. Soon enough, we'd be able to shop at the outlet mall while Snyderville folks would finally have access to High West rye. All without taking off our skis!

IMG_8496.JPG

There was a presentation of sorts, which involved looking at pictures and video from a distance and over people's heads; all of which you can see in higher quality from the comfort of your computer.
We also learned that everything is "amazing" about Park City and the people are the best and Vail is really excited about... they are just excited. And pumped.

The mayor of PC and a councilman was there. Also in attendance, that guy from Deer Valley, Bob Wheaton -- the sole reason why staff there can have a bushy handlebar moustache but no beards. Good thing he doesn't have a ponytail. He was mentioned and thanked many times which I found puzzling. He probably only showed up to eat Vail's lunch.

Here is a physical panel, which is also available on their website but that one is horizontal and... I guess you had to be there:

IMG_8498.JPG

They had waiters going around with food on a toothpick and all the refreshments you could drink, as long as it is made by PepsiCo.

After the presentation, the men were invited to the library to discuss politics and sample the sophisticated fare that would be served at the new restaurants while the women stayed back to do their thing. Gossip? Knit? Your guess is as good as mine.

IMG_8501.JPG

The theme was local food (so trendy!) from around the world but with a uniquely Park City pricing. So while you can have greasy doner kebabs at every street corner in Turkey or Berlin, if you want to pay top dollar for it -- come ski Park City.
Notice the plates, which were designed by a protege of Mies van der Rohe.

Some more street food, this time from Vietnam. I think they call it a banh mi or -- a "sandwich":

IMG_8499.JPG

I don't know how that woman got into the picture.

IMG_8500.JPG

Tiny food on a lettuce -- just want I hanker for after skiing all morning!

With our bellies full and our minds sated by that TED-caliber presentation from Vail's Director of Operations, another vibrant engagement for the hoi polloi of Park City came to a satisfying close.

Back