Aspen Mountain, CO 2/6/2016

tseeb

1761RainbowJennyFar.JPG
Saturday at Aspen was the warmest of the six days I skied in CO and I felt a little overdressed at times. After some high-speed groomers on Ajax Express lift at the top of the mountain with a small group from the Gathering (while waiting for the rest of group to form), we skied down Ruthies and went into gated Traynor Ridge 1 and 4 - actually we all went down 1 and on the 2nd run, I was the only one who went down 4 and it was great. The rest of the group went down between 2 and 3 and it seemed like they struggled as I was halfway up the gondola before getting a call that they had came out on exit road and wondered if I made it out. The entrance to this area included a rocky area on ridge, but snow on the steeps was still soft.
1764LookingDownT4.JPG
1765LookingUpT4.JPG

One of my peeves this year with EpicSki gathering is the amount of time taken/wasted for lunch. The schedule calls for lunch at 11:30, but I may have been the only one there by 11:35 and most people did not arrive until noon. I did not mind sitting outside on an Adirondack char in the brilliant sunshine and watching the beautiful people go by while eating the lunch I had with but could have been back skiing at noon. Eventually some of the group came in and after I'd had enough sun, I joined them. But at 12:30, nobody looked like they were leaving so I left by myself rather than seeing how long it took the 15 or so people get ready.

I spent much of the afternoon doing gondola laps looking for shrines. I rode gondola 2 times in the morning (first ride up and then after Traynors 4 to get to lunch) and 5 times in afternoon along with one ride on each of FIS and Ajax Express. I could not find the Jimmy Buffett shrine in the Glades runs off Gentleman's Ridge, even with two trips through the W-facing area looking for, it but snow was still good out that way so trips were not wasted. On the way to the Jerry Garcia shrine, I found the Stevie Ray Vaughan shrine in group of trees above it. It took me two runs down Zaug Dump to find the Jimi Hendrix shrine even though Tony Crocker and I had been to it two years ago and I could see from the gondola on the way up. Hendrix's shrine is less elaborate than it was then. My afternoon also included a stop at Bonnie's where I think I got the last piece of Apple Strudel sold that day. Even though it had already been put away, it was still warm with flaky and crispy crust and they scraped all the whipped cream out of the bowl and covered my strudel with it. It really was too much, but I finished it after taking a break halfway through to take pictures of three ladies who were asking for volunteers. My last gondola ride was minutes before 3:30 close. I passed the John Denver shrine, then climbed to top of Ridge of Bell. I skied that until the sun ran out, then got a few more turns in sun on Face of Bell before returning for Ridge where snow was better. My watch counted 29,330 vertical.
1767StevieRayVaughn.JPG
1768JerryGarciaTrees.JPG
View attachment 3
On Sunday, my friend from El Jebel and I rode his two snowmobiles from 9:30-1 in area S of Sunlight and W of Basalt. We did a big loop, took a lot of breaks and our ride was over 30 miles. The only part we repeated was the narrow access trail that followed a gas pipeline that went straight up and down hills. It was my first time snowmobiling and we had a blast although I bruised my lower left leg and slightly hurt the pinkie of left hand on my only ejection and also found some dark dry patches on my cheeks shaped like the bottom of my googles from not totally covering up while going up to 45 mph in the cold sunshine. Then after a trip to the store, we hosted a Super Bowl party with over 20 people plus two very mobile 1 year-olds, two 5 year-olds, more kids and 6 yappy dachshunds (2 older ones live at house where I was staying). We all went nuts for Heinz commercial with racing dachshunds with buns, and of course since it's Colorado, with the Broncos win.

Attachments

• 1770Guitar@JerryGarcia.JPG
    1770Guitar@JerryGarcia.JPG
    288 KB · Views: 7,163
  • 1781SteveSnowmobiling.JPG
    1781SteveSnowmobiling.JPG
    320.4 KB · Views: 7,167
  • 1786TonySnowmobiling.JPG
    1786TonySnowmobiling.JPG
    347 KB · Views: 7,160
  • 1791MtSoprisA.JPG
    1791MtSoprisA.JPG
    361.7 KB · Views: 7,168
tseeb":10q7dy3y said:
I could not find the Jimmy Buffett shrine. . .

Isn't Jimmy Buffet, at least in the legal sense of the word, still alive?

Of the Aspen shrines dedicated to individuals, are many dedicated to living people?

It is a curious tradition.

Jimmy is still alive and usually has (or is close to) one of the top 10 money making tours each year. See http://www.buffettnews.com/2009/12/23/10733/ although consider the source. His shrine is unusual and may be unique because he is still alive. I wanted to find it as I am a Parrothead. An older member of group posted on the first day the Gathering skied Aspen "Found a traverse signed as Jimmy Buffet(sp) street" and didn't realize he was at the shrine.

Another unusual shrine is John Denver's because it was involved in a lawsuit when somebody exiting it had a collision with somebody on the run below. It is now posted closed that way although I dropped onto run a little past closed sign at 3:45 as I needed to go that way to get to top of (never running?) Bell Mountain chair.

tseeb":7qvynqz5 said:
Jimmy Buffett shrine. . . Jerry Garcia shrine. . . Stevie Ray Vaughan. . . . Jimi Hendrix. . . John Denver shrine. . .

I'm going to go out on a limb and hazard a guess that the demographics of the shrine builders are not such that there are shrines dedicated to say . . . Joey, Johnny, Dee Dee and Tommy or Jam Master Jay, for example.

flyover":1y03cpqi said:
I'm going to go out on a limb and hazard a guess that the demographics of the shrine builders are not such that there are shrines dedicated to say . . . Joey, Johnny, Dee Dee and Tommy or Jam Master Jay, for example.

:lol:

Speaking of which, as well as your hometown, Flyover, I stumbled across (now defunct?) Minneapolis band Soviettes last night for the first time. Good stuff.

Admin":vbusxwlc said:
Speaking of which, as well as your hometown, Flyover, I stumbled across (now defunct?) Minneapolis band Soviettes last night for the first time. Good stuff.

I think they formally broke up some time ago, but they played a bunch of well-attended reunion gigs several years ago. Minneapolis has a proud tradition all-women punk, or punk-tinged rock bands from The Clams in the early eighties, to ZuZu's Petals and Babes in Toyland in the late 80s and 90s, The Soviettes in the aughts, and current teenage faves Bruise Violet, just to name a few examples.

OK, :hijack: over.

Back