Uintas camping (UT) - Blind Stream 7/24-25/2016

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Skidog put together a group camping trip this weekend. He and Tcope, Corey, TheOtherAmy and I opted to expore a part of Utah's Uinta Mountains that was new to all of us, along with Mrs. Admin, our dogs and Skidog's two kids. We headed for the Blind Stream canyon about 10 miles north of the hamlet of Hanna, on the south slope of the Uintas.

We found a secluded spot to camp at 10,300 feet. After a week-plus of +/- 100ºF in the Salt Lake Valley, highs in the 70s and lows in the 40s were refreshing -- as were the frozen pina coladas we blended at camp. On Sunday, Skidog left early with the kids while the rest of us drove to 11,000 feet for stunning views.

The day before the trip I picked up a 1500W continuous/3000W peak power inverter that would make a semi driver proud. The purpose of this would become self-evident during our trip.

Our camp at the pass above Blind Stream.

Our camp is just out of view at lower left. (photo: Tcope)

Our camp is at the top of these switchbacks. (photo: Tcope)

Camp. (photo:Tcope)

Camp (photo: Tcope)

Camp (photo: Tcope)

Nothing says "roughing it" in the wilderness like frozen piña coladas.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f7PY5A7xLw[/video]

Corey and TheOtherAmy's compound.

Our camp is near photo center (photo: Tcope)

Camp. (photo:Tcope)

Maggie walks back to camp.

The sun sets on the Uintas, as seen from our camp.

A starry sky over camp. (photo: Tcope)

The view from the end of FR-215 at 11,000 feet.

Yep, I got the truck to the tundra at 11,000 feet.

There was a bear lumbering around when we got here.

At 11,000 feet (photo:Tcope)

At 11,000 feet (photo:Tcope)

I'll post Tcope's video here once he finishes editing it.

Nice pics! I especially like the one at night with the campfire and starry sky.

I need to get to the mountains. I can't believe summer is about over...

Agreed about the night star picture. But, those last few from 11,000' are also quite impressive.

Thanks for posting, marcski...not only because I appreciate your comments, but also because you reminded me that I forgot to post Tcope's video. Once again, I make no assurances about his background musical selections. :wink:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch.php?v=8hVsEFJxZKI[/video]

Ha! I happen to be a Michael Franti fan, so I fully approve of the music selection. Video was cool. You guys had some awesome weather. That night sky was lit up like fireworks. Cool timelapse effect on the stars in the video...and that looks like some fun 4-wheeling heading up to 11k'.

marcski":3plntrnu said:
You guys had some awesome weather. That night sky was lit up like fireworks.

Appreciate the comments. Actually, though, that's rather normal summer weather for us. I went 96 days this summer with a single rain shower at the house that yielded 0.04" of rain, the minimum that my automated rain gauge can record. Winter is our wet season; summers are typically bone dry. As for the stars, that's what 10,000 feet and no light pollution for miles around will get you.

It's interesting that summer thunderstorms get up to Yellowstone and the Tetons but somehow miss the Wasatch.

Tony Crocker":fnn0dszm said:
It's interesting that summer thunderstorms get up to Yellowstone and the Tetons but somehow miss the Wasatch.

Different flow. Those are coming in from the Northwest; our thunderstorms, when we get them, are part of the summer monsoon surge from the desert southwest.

Admin":2p6l8ayr said:
...post Tcope's video. Once again, I make no assurances about his background musical selections. :wink:
We need to get tcope some harder music:
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPD66kEFGDQ[/video]

Marc_C":2u41flgv said:
Admin":2u41flgv said:
...post Tcope's video. Once again, I make no assurances about his background musical selections. :wink:
We need to get tcope some harder music:
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPD66kEFGDQ[/video]

Ugh. [-(

Admin":1snry9gt said:
Did you listen or are you just reacting to the name of the band?
If it doesn't have a driving beat, distortion effects, strong bass, and some feedback, it's just kinda.....
Maybe Xandria instead?
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwffPaXA1PY[/video]

Interesting, 2015/16 video's that are straight out of the 1980's music scene...

I'm contemplating doing a few video's again like back before Jr was born (few, it's just too time consuming). I'll have some very interesting/different musical choices for you if I do though. Be very afraid :shock: :popcorn:

EMSC":281fsj3d said:
Interesting, 2015/16 video's that are straight out of the 1980's music scene...
Symphonic metal (and metal in general) is a genre that is almost never played in the US anymore but is huge in Europe. Consider that Nightwish is 20 yrs old and regularly sells out 25K seat arenas; Pinkpop, RockAMRing, and the Wacken Open Air Festival are all larger than the original Woodstock.
It seems that a lot of US folk stop listening to new music once they leave college.

</thread hijack complete>

Marc_C":1yugv8a9 said:
It seems that a lot of US folk stop listening to new music once they leave college.

I just checked, and I'll have you know that my music collection contains precisely 896 complete albums from the current decade. The difference between those and your symphonic metal is that mine are actually listenable.

Admin":il7h1xu0 said:
I just checked, and I'll have you know that my music collection contains precisely 896 complete albums from the current decade. The difference between those and your symphonic metal is that mine are actually listenable.
I've heard some of your stuff.
Not really.

Back