Brighton, UT 11/25/16 Opening Day

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Day One: Who are all of these people??

20161125_123529.jpg

Brighton opened the Utah ski season today with its Majestic and Explorer lifts. Two runs were available from the top of Majestic, plus the bunny slope beneath Explorer.

I pulled into the parking lot at 11:40 a.m., just as they began loading Majestic 20 minutes ahead of schedule.

20161125_121550.jpg

Surfaces were good quality manmade and cover was plentiful on the open terrain...but so were the people. To say that there's some pent-up demand in town is a dramatic understatement. Brighton was supposedly limiting ticket sales but there's no way to keep passholders away. The season pass pick-up line stretched from the third floor of Brighton Center down the stairwells all the way to the first floor front door at the parking lot. I was surprised to ride the lifts with folks from San Francisco, Wisconsin and even North Carolina who kept their Thanksgiving vacation plans despite our lack of early season snow. I bumped into Greg Blessing in the lift line, but saw no one else who I knew.

20161125_133821.jpg

20161125_122625.jpg

20161125_122632.jpg

20161125_130021.jpg

After 5 runs I couldn't deal with the 20-minute-plus unmanaged liftlines any more and realizing that I had now brought it down to under $10 a run, I called it a good first day. I'll be at PCMR for their season opening tomorrow, expecting a similar crapshow.

What ever happened to admin's mantra about quality? And he actually paid $50 for this! I never thought I'd see the day.

This is why we take non-ski vacations in November, except for the Antarctic cruise of course.

Tony Crocker":2jiotd3q said:
What ever happened to admin's mantra about quality? And he actually paid $50 for this! I never thought I'd see the day.

$45, actually, but the point's the same: when there's no quality to be found, sometimes you've just gotta go for quantity. If both are available the decision for me is a simple one. In this case I was jonesing to take some laps as much as anybody, and it felt great to be riding lifts again. The quality will follow.

I was wondering if Admin was going to show up to the only game in Utah. Still pretty surprised AltaBird couldn't pull anything off in time for this weekend.

Not many trails at each, but at least most everyone is open on this side of the Rockies. Hitting Eldora tomorrow myself. And for a real shocker, Greek Peak, NY opened today with 14 trails open.

Failures of Alta and Grand Targhee, bastions of reliability, to open for Thanksgiving, are huge red flags, as is the cancellation of the Beaver Creek World Cup first weekend of December.

If you're paying airfare and lodging $$$ to ski in the US Rockies, better wait until January.

Meanwhile Whistler has had 100 inches of November snowfall and has a 76-inch base. Base depths exceed 4 feet elsewhere only at Mt. Baker, Revelstoke and Whitewater. Baker just opened, Revy opens Dec. 3 and Whitewater Dec. 9.

EMSC":1cuyedxk said:
And for a real shocker, Greek Peak, NY opened today with 14 trails open.
Yep, that lake-effect storm dropped 18 inches on GP; Song reportedly picked up 32; my mother's backyard west of Syracuse split the difference with 24.

EMSC":3ttt7rpv said:
Still pretty surprised AltaBird couldn't pull anything off in time for this weekend.

Actually Snowbird is opening today. Gadzoom to Big Emma only.

Tony Crocker":sx9nruas said:
Admin":sx9nruas said:
Actually Snowbird is opening today. Gadzoom to Big Emma only.
I'm guessing admin is taking a pass on that one. :lol:

Leaving now for the crapshow that will be PCMR's opening day on Home Run.

Interesting fall. The Bird hadnt announced an opening when I looked Wed. Good that something is opening.

Back