Jackson Hole - Shut down for 7 days??

Resort and backcountry skiing and snowboarding in the western US and Canada, including our famous reader-submitted No-Bull Snow Reports.

Jackson Hole - Shut down for 7 days??

Postby berkshireskier » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:32 pm

http://www.jacksonhole.com/weather-snow-report.html

The Jackson Hole resort may be shut down for 7 days! Apparently, they had a ferocious wind storm last night that knocked down the electric poles on the road to the resort. They have no electricity at the resort today and they're reporting it may take up to 7 days to get service restored. I can't ever remember a major resort in the US shutting down for an entire week in the middle of the ski season? I'm just glad I don't have a vacation planned for JH in the next week or so. One of the best snow winters too in JH history.
berkshireskier
 
Posts: 412
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 2:20 pm
Location: Western Massachusetts

Re: Jackson Hole - Shut down for 7 days??

Postby EMSC » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:05 pm

Holy C$@p. I want to see pics of the damage that can shut them for a whole week.
User avatar
EMSC
 
Posts: 1887
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:54 pm
Location: Front Range of Colorado

Re: Jackson Hole - Shut down for 7 days??

Postby Tony Crocker » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:22 pm

berkshireskier wrote:I'm just glad I don't have a vacation planned for JH in the next week or so.

At least they are offering refunds, though it doesn't say if that only applies to lift tickets. Lodging in JH with no power in winter would not be pleasant though.

berkshireskier wrote:I can't ever remember a major resort in the US shutting down for an entire week in the middle of the ski season?

A lot of Sierra resorts have been effectively shut down during the atmospheric river storms in January and this week with high rain/snow line and 100+mph winds. Mammoth has been about 10% open this week.

On MLK weekend 1980 I was at Tahoe during a 60-hour rain event which included a 24-hour power failure. Except at the casinos which had emergency generators and did a thriving business that weekend.

berkshireskier wrote:One of the best snow winters too in JH history.

Not really. Their press releases use a site near top of the Bridger gondola that probably gets more snow that 90% of terrain plus it includes snow before November. Fortunately the JH snow report web page http://www.jacksonhole.com/weather-snow-report.html also provides the more realistic numbers from the long term mid-mountain site. Back out the 28 pre-November inches from that and you get 278 inches, 118% of normal snowfall season to date. That site has had 11 past seasons over 118%, topped by 572 inches (156%) in 1996-97.
http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,610K in 2016-17
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
User avatar
Tony Crocker
 
Posts: 9525
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:37 am
Location: Avatar: Charlotte Bay, Antarctica 2011
Location: Glendale, California

Re: Jackson Hole - Shut down for 7 days??

Postby Marc_C » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:25 pm

EMSC wrote:Holy C$@p. I want to see pics of the damage that can shut them for a whole week.

From KPVI News:

JACKSON, Wyo. (AP) — A wind storm is suspected of downing 17 utility poles along the Moose-Wilson Road, causing a major power outage in Teton County.

Lower Valley Energy says the outage began Tuesday night and affects 3,500 to 4,000 customers in Teton Village, the Jackson Hole Airport and three subdivisions.

The company said it began re-routing power Tuesday night, but the outage could extend for several days in some areas.

Jackson Hole Mountain Resort was closed Wednesday.

A spokeswoman says the resort's heavy equipment and personnel will be helping to clear snow so repair crews can access power lines.
-marc
User avatar
Marc_C
 
Posts: 3147
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:32 am
Location: A Sandy place south of a Great Lake

Re: Jackson Hole - Shut down for 7 days??

Postby Admin » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:39 pm

Much more info than that KPVI story, as well as photos of the damage as requested by EMSC:
http://www.firsttracksonline.com/2017/0 ... er-notice/
Image

Image
User avatar
Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9944
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:32 am
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah

Re: Jackson Hole - Shut down for 7 days??

Postby EMSC » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:37 pm

Marc_C wrote:17 utility poles


From early stories - Makes me think of 17 wooden normal utility poles.

Admin's pic tells the real story: 17 very large high voltage line towers.

Looks like perhaps poor construction of the bases? or perhaps enough rust or something over time to weaken them at the base.
User avatar
EMSC
 
Posts: 1887
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:54 pm
Location: Front Range of Colorado

Re: Jackson Hole - Shut down for 7 days??

Postby berkshireskier » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:59 pm

EMSC wrote:
Marc_C wrote:17 utility poles


From early stories - Makes me think of 17 wooden normal utility poles.

Admin's pic tells the real story: 17 very large high voltage line towers.

Looks like perhaps poor construction of the bases? or perhaps enough rust or something over time to weaken them at the base.


If I'm reading the story correctly, apparently they were steel poles and, from the photo, it looks like they snapped in half (from too much stress?). I wonder if wooden poles would have fared better?

In any event, it's a total bummer for anyone there, hoping to ski JH.
berkshireskier
 
Posts: 412
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 2:20 pm
Location: Western Massachusetts

Re: Jackson Hole - Shut down for 7 days??

Postby Admin » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:59 pm

I'm guessing that means that our holiday weekend in Utah will be even busier. Targhee can only house so many people, and a good chunk of visitors fly into SLC anyway, so I'm guessing that many of them will just rebook and stay here.
Image

Image
User avatar
Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9944
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:32 am
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah

Re: Jackson Hole - Shut down for 7 days??

Postby Admin » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:16 pm

Just added a drone video of the damage to the story at http://www.firsttracksonline.com/2017/0 ... er-notice/
Image

Image
User avatar
Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9944
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:32 am
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah

Re: Jackson Hole - Shut down for 7 days??

Postby berkshireskier » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:23 pm

Admin wrote:Just added a drone video of the damage to the story at http://www.firsttracksonline.com/2017/0 ... er-notice/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


Thanks for updating and posting this story. Must have been incredible winds to knock down that many poles.
berkshireskier
 
Posts: 412
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 2:20 pm
Location: Western Massachusetts

Re: Jackson Hole - Shut down for 7 days??

Postby jamesdeluxe » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:04 am

I wonder what the financial hit will be to the resort during the very peak of its season -- are they insured against something like this under the Acts of God clause?
User avatar
jamesdeluxe
 
Posts: 3188
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:19 pm
Location: South Orange, NJ

Re: Jackson Hole - Shut down for 7 days??

Postby Admin » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:21 am

jamesdeluxe wrote:I wonder what the financial hit will be to the resort during the very peak of its season -- are they insured against something like this under the Acts of God clause?


Despite popular perception, there is no such clause. That said, in all probability they have business interruption coverage.
Image

Image
User avatar
Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9944
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:32 am
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah

Re: Jackson Hole - Shut down for 7 days??

Postby jamesdeluxe » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:23 am

Admin wrote:Despite popular perception, there is no such clause. That said, in all probability they have business interruption coverage.

You should get a job with an insurance company! :-)
User avatar
jamesdeluxe
 
Posts: 3188
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:19 pm
Location: South Orange, NJ

Re: Jackson Hole - Shut down for 7 days??

Postby Admin » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:36 am

jamesdeluxe wrote:
Admin wrote:Despite popular perception, there is no such clause. That said, in all probability they have business interruption coverage.

You should get a job with an insurance company! :-)


:lol:
Image

Image
User avatar
Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9944
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:32 am
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah

Re: Jackson Hole - Shut down for 7 days??

Postby berkshireskier » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:15 am

Admin wrote:
jamesdeluxe wrote:I wonder what the financial hit will be to the resort during the very peak of its season -- are they insured against something like this under the Acts of God clause?


Despite popular perception, there is no such clause. That said, in all probability they have business interruption coverage.


I am (indirectly) in the insurance business (although not property and casualty or general liability) but, you're right, they MAY have some sort of "business interruption" coverage under their general P and C and liability insurance policy. You would have to read the terms of their actual insurance policy to see under what conditions this provision would apply and what the coverage entails (there are most likely certain exclusions and probably a fairly large deductible). Even with insurance coverage, I'm guessing this will be a fairly large financial hit for the ski resort. Furthermore, the hotels, restaurants and other non-resort owned businesses would have to have their own insurance coverages.

The last message I saw from the resort said that they think it will be at least Monday before then can re-open. Again, I'm glad I didn't have a vacation planned for this week at JH.
berkshireskier
 
Posts: 412
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 2:20 pm
Location: Western Massachusetts

Next

Return to Western North America

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 6 guests


All content herein copyright © 1999-2017 First Tracks!! Online Media

Forums Terms & Conditions of Use

cron