Northstar, CA 4/12/2017

Resort and backcountry skiing and snowboarding in the western US and Canada, including our famous reader-submitted No-Bull Snow Reports.

Northstar, CA 4/12/2017

Postby tseeb » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:00 am

I'm really late writing this one up and it was the worst ski day of my road trip, but I don't want to leave a hole in my CA/UT/CA roadtrip so here it is: I quit skiing Park City on Tuesday 4/11 at 2 PM and went by El Chubasco for a take-out burrito. I ate half of it in the car, then drove to SLC where I made a quick trip though Level Nine and bought a couple of non-skiing items. I find their skiing items are easier to look at on-line. I was on the road again at 3:30 and got very tired driving across W UT and stopped at
4182BonnevillePlaque.JPG
Bonneville rest stop to wake up. In West Wendover, NV, I filled up with cheap gas ($2.26 with 3 cents discount) and McDonald's coffee (any size for $1) that got me more awake. From I-80, I had good views of the snow-covered Pequop and Ruby Mountains, then used McDonald's parking lot in Elko to finish burrito and for free Wi-Fi.

My friend from Truckee texted and offered me a bed/room in his house, but I was not sure if I could make it that far and thought it would be after midnight before I arrived. But after a junk food and beer stop at CVS and getting on the road again,
4186Pilot200K.JPG
This trip was 1,995 miles. In Feb 2015, before my first trip to Canada, I had 155.7K.
I realized with the hour I had gained from time change and slighty exeeding the speed limit, I could make it between 11 and 11:30. So I set the cruise at 80 and continued W. After another gas stop at Winnemuca for the last cheap gas ($2.32 with 3 cents discount) on I-80 in NV and getting though curvy part of I-80 approaching Reno that I usually miss coming from So. Tahoe as I cutoff between Carson City and Fernley, I made it to friend's house at 11:15 where his wife was still up watching TV.

Wed. morning, my friend made me another of his excellent 3-egg each with cheese, onion and bacon breakfast. He was out the door at not much after 8 to meet a tile guy at a neighboring house owned by family members. I beat him to Northstar where we loaded gondola before 9:15. It was snowing at the top and windy enough to put Zephyr chair on wind hold. The snow turned to rain and my friend quit after three runs. I went into tent at the top after 4 Backside runs to dry out a little.
4189NSTopLodgeSnow.JPG
Snow pile up outside lodge at 8,600' top of Northstar.
4191NSTopLodgeSnow.JPG
The surface of snow on groomed Backside runs stayed good as they are steep enough to not get affected by a little moisture, but chair was running a little slow due to wind which gave the wet a chance to start soaking my outer layer. I made it out for two more runs before retreating again, then made one more before heading out West Ridge. I started down Sodergren's, which I saw earlier was listed as groomers pick of the day, but found SE-facing snow too wet so I bailed back to Lookout Bypass, Boondocks and skied Home Run to parking by my car. I quit about 12:30 with just over 15K.

Since I was done early, I went by Squaw to visit my bootfitter. On the way through Truckee, I stopped to say hello to friend that I would be staying with near So. Tahoe that night who was having lunch at Jax's Diner with his wife. One of my bootfitter's staff did a mild punch just below rivet holding 2nd buckle on boot that had been rubbing my foot. I drove down W side of Lake
4194WardAveLogHouse.JPG
House I shared for a year on W shore of Tahoe.
and made a couple of stops in S Tahoe where wind was picking up, but storm had not yet hit. Heavenly was still running gondola after 5 pm when I went under it and from reviewing texts it seems like even thought they report 30-45 mph winds with gusts to 65 they ran all lifts with only Tamarack at top of gondola having a late opening.
4197HeavenlyView.JPG
View of Heavenly from balcony of timeshare my friend had Wed. night before the 10" of snow fell.
tseeb

Return to Western North America