Telemark Skiing Terminal Cancer Couloir Ruby Mountains Nevad

Resort and backcountry skiing and snowboarding in the western US and Canada, including our famous reader-submitted No-Bull Snow Reports.

Telemark Skiing Terminal Cancer Couloir Ruby Mountains Nevad

Postby Marc_C » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:35 am

I was looking for something totally unrelated and came across this video....

-marc
User avatar
Marc_C
 
Posts: 3069
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:32 am
Location: A Sandy place south of a Great Lake

Re: Telemark Skiing Terminal Cancer Couloir Ruby Mountains N

Postby Tony Crocker » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:01 pm

Very aesthetic line, doesn't look crazy steep so very doable by most of those fit enough to hike/skin the approach.
http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,393K in 2016-17
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
User avatar
Tony Crocker
 
Posts: 9396
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:37 am
Location: Avatar: Charlotte Bay, Antarctica 2011
Location: Glendale, California

Re: Telemark Skiing Terminal Cancer Couloir Ruby Mountains N

Postby EMSC » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:01 pm

Looks almost as narrow as some of the stuff in La Grave for the one chute, though not even 1/10th as long. Not huge fan of their music choice for the vid, but can't win them all, lol.

On another sort-of-related note, I've been waiting like 10 years now for Admin to travel west for one of his spring/summer camping trips. For some reason he only seems to be able to figure out how to drive South from SLC. Seems like a head scratch to me given the lack of literally anybody over that way with huge mtn ranges and the solitude he says he likes for those kind of trips.
User avatar
EMSC
 
Posts: 1839
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:54 pm
Location: Front Range of Colorado

Re: Telemark Skiing Terminal Cancer Couloir Ruby Mountains N

Postby Marc_C » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:08 pm

EMSC wrote:On another sort-of-related note, I've been waiting like 10 years now for Admin to travel west for one of his spring/summer camping trips. For some reason he only seems to be able to figure out how to drive South from SLC. Seems like a head scratch to me given the lack of literally anybody over that way with huge mtn ranges and the solitude he says he likes for those kind of trips.

It's not the huge mtn ranges - it's the desert and red-rock country that is the draw.
-marc
User avatar
Marc_C
 
Posts: 3069
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:32 am
Location: A Sandy place south of a Great Lake

Re: Telemark Skiing Terminal Cancer Couloir Ruby Mountains N

Postby EMSC » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:17 pm

Marc_C wrote:
EMSC wrote:On another sort-of-related note, I've been waiting like 10 years now for Admin to travel west for one of his spring/summer camping trips. For some reason he only seems to be able to figure out how to drive South from SLC. Seems like a head scratch to me given the lack of literally anybody over that way with huge mtn ranges and the solitude he says he likes for those kind of trips.

It's not the huge mtn ranges - it's the desert and red-rock country that is the draw.


Red Rock makes sense (though for 10 years straight with no deviations? :? ); but c'mon, there's not enough desert country in eastern side of Nevada along with the mtns? :-k
User avatar
EMSC
 
Posts: 1839
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:54 pm
Location: Front Range of Colorado

Re: Telemark Skiing Terminal Cancer Couloir Ruby Mountains N

Postby Tony Crocker » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:36 pm

EMSC wrote:Looks almost as narrow as some of the stuff in La Grave for the one chute, though not even 1/10th as long.

Yes, shorter version of Le Rama, similar pitch but in powder instead of corn.

Admin has occasionally gone north in spring/summer, mainly for the kayaking trips.

At least there's more variety in admin's spring/summer recreation choices than his skiing choice. Note he has turned his nose up at 3 feet of new snow this week because the mothership closed on April 16.

And FYI, EMSC, there's some powder in your neck of the woods this week too. :stir: I think late April/early May is overall a sweet spot window for Colorado Front Range. It's more likely to have winter snow conditions when nearly no one else does, and there's still just enough terrain open with Loveland and A-Basin to make a fly-in trip to the cheap Denver airport worth it for out-of-towners. I've had 3 trips in that time frame, 1987, 1991 and 2015. Once you you get past first weekend of May, Loveland is closed and the odds of Pali/Zuma closing increase significantly each week, much reducing the attraction.
http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,393K in 2016-17
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
User avatar
Tony Crocker
 
Posts: 9396
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:37 am
Location: Avatar: Charlotte Bay, Antarctica 2011
Location: Glendale, California

Re: Telemark Skiing Terminal Cancer Couloir Ruby Mountains N

Postby Marc_C » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:32 am

Tony Crocker wrote:At least there's more variety in admin's spring/summer recreation choices than his skiing choice. Note he has turned his nose up at 3 feet of new snow this week because the mothership closed on April 16.

Yet another assessment without knowing any details or context.
-marc
User avatar
Marc_C
 
Posts: 3069
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:32 am
Location: A Sandy place south of a Great Lake

Re: Telemark Skiing Terminal Cancer Couloir Ruby Mountains N

Postby EMSC » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:31 pm

Tony Crocker wrote:Yes, shorter version of Le Rama, similar pitch but in powder instead of corn.

Admin has occasionally gone north in spring/summer, mainly for the kayaking trips


Rama is also narrower in spots. I also skied a chute very near Rama call Olympic that was narrower and very long (and with a couple ice waterfalls we had to rappel).

My point about Admin is he has gone in every direction EXCEPT west for his spring/summer trips. At least that I have seen postings on over the years.
User avatar
EMSC
 
Posts: 1839
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:54 pm
Location: Front Range of Colorado

Re: Telemark Skiing Terminal Cancer Couloir Ruby Mountains N

Postby Marc_C » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:20 am

EMSC wrote:My point about Admin is he has gone in every direction EXCEPT west for his spring/summer trips. At least that I have seen postings on over the years.

http://www.firsttracksonline.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12171&p=76177&hilit=Oregon#p76177
-marc
User avatar
Marc_C
 
Posts: 3069
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:32 am
Location: A Sandy place south of a Great Lake

Re: Telemark Skiing Terminal Cancer Couloir Ruby Mountains N

Postby Admin » Mon May 01, 2017 7:07 am

EMSC wrote:On another sort-of-related note, I've been waiting like 10 years now for Admin to travel west for one of his spring/summer camping trips. For some reason he only seems to be able to figure out how to drive South from SLC. Seems like a head scratch to me given the lack of literally anybody over that way with huge mtn ranges and the solitude he says he likes for those kind of trips.


Oh, it's been on the radar, from the Deep Creeks to points further west. It just hasn't happened yet. I've even planned trips out there only to have companions bail on me at the last moment.
Image

Image
User avatar
Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9841
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:32 am
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah


Return to Western North America

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


All content herein copyright © 1999-2017 First Tracks!! Online Media

Forums Terms & Conditions of Use