Aerial ski pic identification

EMSC

Figured it could be a fun game to do multiple of these. Here is one that I have yet to figure out. I was headed West over the Sierra into San Fran last week when I saw this small ski area that looks to be just east of the crest. Anyone know what ski area it is (upside down view of it)?

Attachments

• 20170803_161634.jpg
    20170803_161634.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 15,933
There are only a few ski areas East of Sierra Crest: Mammoth, June, Heavenly, Rose and Sky Tavern. This looks like June Mountain. See the distinct crossover between Sunset and Matterhorn at https://www.junemountain.com/winter/mou ... -map-stats

I have one morning there lifetime on the way from So. Tahoe to Mammoth. It was probably last century and must have been Spring as I was there too early and it was all firm. I continued to Mammoth for the afternoon.

Nice catch by tseeb. =D>

The long isolated trail along the upper right of the view is Silverado, 2.5 miles long and one of the best beginner trails in North America, comparable to Gorrono Park at Telluride.

I have 7 lifetime days at June, most recently Jan. 4 during the first of the big atmospheric river storms of 2017. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12244 June is supposed to be a sheltered escape like Northstar during big storms but the upper lifts were only open for two hours after we arrived. Those same upper lifts were closed all day Jan. 5 so we didn't go back.

I did see somebody identified it much earlier than I did here on Facebook, but not until long after I posted here.

The weird thing about June is that not only is their steepest terrain at the bottom, below the June Meadows Chalet "where most amenities the resort has to offer are located" and not always open, but there used to be a "Quad Monocable Tramway, a type of gondola similar to a funitel or funifor" built by Yan/Lift Engineering that paralleled J1 (double chair that must get lines on busy days) that "was removed in 1996 due to technical problems" according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/June_Mountain_ski_area

The QMC tram had similar defects to the Yan detachable chairs, one of which failed at Whistler in 1995. Mammoth modified the Yan detachable chairs (2 at Mammoth and 2 at June) but removed the QMC, which was presumably too expensive or not practical to repair.

The 50+ year old J1 is indeed a sore point. Even though June is a quiet area, lines can still stack up to download it at the end of the day. It's also not a comfortable ride for many beginners and children, who are and should be key target customers for June. Mammoth plans to install a modern lift, but that was delayed by the drought years. I'm guessing we will be seeing some capital investment at Mammoth soon, but where replacing the J1 falls on the priority list I couldn't say.

tseeb":olgg0c9m said:
This looks like June Mountain.

Thanks Tseeb. Somehow my brain had assumed I was further north and closer to the many Tahoe areas. Plus I've never been to June Mtn either. Looks like they should have built it a couple miles west of it's current location...

Probably in the wrong forum for this one, but this has 2 ski areas in the Eastern US in the summer time from pretty far up. Any one want to guess (I already know the answer)?

P1020045v2.JPG

Pretty sure this is June too. Seen flying from LAX to Reno

Attachments

• C1458D45-B09C-41A7-9AFC-B6F544B23A4A.jpeg
    C1458D45-B09C-41A7-9AFC-B6F544B23A4A.jpeg
    1,000.3 KB · Views: 15,456
EMSC":ut4iewxq said:
Probably in the wrong forum for this one, but this has 2 ski areas in the Eastern US in the summer time from pretty far up. Any one want to guess (I already know the answer)?

Not sure on this one but I don't think it is in New England. Perhaps PA or maybe NY state?

EMSC":1q6m9w4i said:

Holiday Valley and Holimont.

EMSC":3dcbxhfl said:
I have a few aerials on my external hard drive at home. Maybe move this thread to the General Forum?

jamesdeluxe":a97un70s said:
EMSC":a97un70s said:
I have a few aerials on my external hard drive at home. Maybe move this thread to the General Forum?

Good idea, I'll do that now.

Back