Pueblo, CO - Monarch Car Pool

halcyonson

Hey all, just moved to Pueblo from Seattle over the summer. I'm an office of one snowboarder here, so no chance of dragging anyone from work out to the slopes. Just wondering if there was anyone else in this town heading out to Monarch on weekends. I aim to arrive as soon as the lifts open and leave when they close. I'm a bit disappointed that there's no night skiing, because that means mid-week is going to be real hard to manage.

The two hour drive out to Monarch is exhausting but traffic (what traffic?!) is a massive improvement over Stevens and Snoqualmie and Crystal that I was used to. I rolled into Monarch at 9:30 Sunday and was amazed to find the parking lot less than half full. You'd be walking a few miles or waiting two hours for a shuttle if you pulled in that late anywhere in the PNW. My girlfriend is more interested in tubing (yawn) than real snow sports. I'm happy to say that I had zero trouble with the altitude despite the base being 10,790' rather than 4,061' (hahaha funny to think that Pueblo is higher than the base at Stevens). Called it a day at 1:30 though because my legs were beat from being the first time out this season.

Back