Ski bums holiday

Resort and backcountry skiing and snowboarding in the western US and Canada, including our famous reader-submitted No-Bull Snow Reports.

Ski bums holiday

Postby lono » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:56 am

My longtime friend and ski buddy, tele Dave and I leave Friday for a MC pass trip south. Here's the plan.
2/9 Sun Valley
2/10 Pomerelle
2/11 Pebble Creek
2/12 Snowbasin
2/13 through 2/18 we have a spot in Cottenwood Heights and ski Alta and Snowbird, hopefully meeting up with Admin and the APP.
2/19 on to Jackson for up to 3 days, finishing with Big Sky for 2 more and if we still have the legs a day at Bridger and Discovery.
Would love to ski with any FirstTrackers along the way.
lono

Re: Ski bums holiday

Postby EMSC » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:30 pm

While I'm no where near your itinerary, I look forward to TR's and pics - especially from the small places like Pomerelle, Pebble and/or Discovery.
EMSC

Postby lono » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:51 pm

5 new on the Sun Valley report was deeper at opening and snowed hard all day.Super light 10 degree snow made for body massage runs. Plenty of coverage on Baldy made off piste really great.Will be skiing Snowbasin Mon-Tue.I'll be on the lookout for the APP.
lono

Postby TRam » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:27 pm

Good trip! If you are in park city or canyons side later this week lmk and Ill show you around. Cottonwoods are best currently on week days (as is all resorts it seems now)
If you don't still ski, then you never really did.
TRam

Postby lono » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:00 pm

Thanks Tram for the offer, but we're on the MC pass, so PC is out of the price range.We know about the crowds,if we wanted empty skiing we would have stayed in Montana.Today at Pommerel was super fun low angle powder, drive to Ogden was dicey.
lono

Postby lono » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:11 pm

8 inches Monday at Snowbasin was fluffy fun, with an early arrival we got second gondola and lots of untracked snow, what a great ski hill.Today's wind created some fine wind sift.We just arrived in Cottenwood Heights for 6 nights.
Will be skiing Alta /Snowbird.
APB for the APP.
lono

Postby lono » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:58 pm

Wednesday AM Snowbird was on windhold so went Alta and skied Collins and Wildcat all day with increasing snowfall.PM was getting good.Thursday at Snowbird had 6 inches of thick cold cream , very tasty. With another 6 overnight we thought it would be good.Today 2/15 was the greatest sleeperday ever.Overnight upslope winds smoothed the entire hill.The new snow and strong winds were the best natural grooming I have seen and skied. D. T. and I have skied over 1000 days together, and today every run was smooth and surfy , two buckle exellence. We agreed that today ranked in the top twenty.
lono

Postby Tony Crocker » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:19 pm

Sometimes wind is a great thing for snow surfaces. This is common at Mammoth and Castle Mt. But one of my lifetime greatest windsift highlights was Highboy at Alta Jan. 13-14, 2014. It's amazing how effortless that run was in those conditions.
http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,610K in 2016-17
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
Tony Crocker

Postby lono » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:18 pm

Saturday 2/16 Alta reported 11 in. new .Wow, It sure seemed deeper.We had a great two hour powder race , then ran into the APP and bobbed around the hill in the pm. Thanks everyone.Today was day 9 and all I really wanted was one good shot at Devils Castle. We waited almost an hour for the opening,fifth in line was worth the wait.First two turns were slabby, then knee deep bliss for fifty more . Tomorrow were off to ski Pebble Creek on our way to Jackson.Been driving PC for decades with no snow, I 'm pretty excited.
lono

Return to Western North America