Bloomberg Ski Business article - 3/1/2019

Topics of a general nature regarding snowsports, which don't easily fit into one of our other Liftlines categories. This is also the place to post Letters to the Editor.

Bloomberg Ski Business article - 3/1/2019

Postby EMSC » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:42 pm

This Bloomberg article is a must read for anyone interested in the business side of ski resorts.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2019-03-01/epic-vs-ikon-battle-for-the-best-ski-pass
EMSC

Re: Bloomberg Ski Business article - 3/1/2019

Postby jamesdeluxe » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:52 am

Great article, thanks for the link. They clarified the payment system, which always mystified me both here and in the Alps: "Under the partnership agreements, a resort would be paid for each day a skier swiped her Ikon Pass: either a negotiated fee or a blended rate based on how many Ikon days were tallied over the course of a winter."

I'm curious to learn if Deer Valley/Sun Valley et al. decide that the tradeoff -- allowing limited numbers of hoi polloi on their slopes in exchange for possibly repelling their core market of high-net-worth people -- is worth it. I suppose Aspen's distance from Front Range hordes (sorry EMSC) makes it less of an issue for them than Deer Valley.

Wish I could take advantage of one pass or the other.
jamesdeluxe

Return to General Discussion