Alta, UT 12/11/05

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Today was the polar opposite of my usual ski day. Got up at 11, arrived at Alta by 1 pm, and cruised blue and green groomers all afternoon. Why? Because my honey actually wanted to go skiing today.

That doesn't happen very often, so I need to take advantage of it every time it occurs. I therefore got up at 8 a.m. to call Marc_C to let them know that I wouldn't be joining them at Snowbird this morning, and went back to bed.

It was gorgeous up there again today, with cloudless skies (above the inversion-induced pollution haze currently clouding the Salt Lake Valley), no wind, and temps right around freezing. We took a warm-up run up Sunnyside and down Crooked Mile before heading back up Sunnyside and Cecret to get to Supreme. One more cruise down Big Dipper, and she was ready to stop at Alf's already for a coffee on the sun deck. :roll: OK, then, I'll have a Cutthroat Ale...it wasn't like today's skiing required much agility and concentration anyway, and the warm sun on the deck had me comfortable in just my turtleneck.

Up Sugarloaf, across Germania Return, and down Mambo and Main Street to Collins mid, where I showed her the new Watson Shelter before we boarded to ride back up to Germania Pass and skied all the way back to the truck at Albion Base via Devil's Elbow and Home Run. By now, it was 4 p.m. already. Not exactly a taxing day.

But a fun one! I love watching her learn and progress, and the groomers were sweet today. It felt good to simply relax on the hill for once. Occasionally I'd cut a corner to play in chowder and trees, but for the most part today was just a gentle cruiser.

Attachments

• 02 alta albion base 051211.jpg
    02 alta albion base 051211.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 1,534
  • 01 alta crooked mile 051211.jpg
    01 alta crooked mile 051211.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 1,531
Those pics make me hate Utahans (?) so very, very much.

The whole Albion basin is such a beautiful learning place. If someone does not like skiing after that, there is no hope. :)

Back