Mammoth, 1/3/06

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
In the April 1998 Inside Tracks Mammoth Resort Guide I wrote: "Mammoth is not an ideal mountain for powder because its best terrain will be closed during storms. When the top finally opens, sometimes the new snow will be windpacked or avalanche blasted rather than deep powder. The deep snow will be in the protected parts off Chairs 9, 12 and 14, plus Chair 22 for experts." The past week is a perfect illustration of this point. The snow was even denser and more wind-affected Tuesday than on Sunday.

I awoke 5:30AM in Bishop, called Caltrans to determine the road was open and headed up immediately. After a big breakfast at the Stove I was parked at Chair 2 and ready to go by 8:30. While the lift was moving they did not let anyone on until 8:55. Although the storm had ended about 10PM Monday, there was still lots of work needed to open lifts after 95 inches in 31 hours. From dawn through most of the morning the skies were clear. Unfortunately the wind was howling at unloading areas of the lower lifts, and it was clear that upper (G2 and 23) and outlying (9, 12, 14) lifts would not run, and probably not even the middle ones (3, 5, 22)

Chair 1 was open, but its steeper terrain was off-limits, so I took 3 runs in the Roger's Ridge area, returning to chair 2 and waiting for chair 10 to open so I could move to the more sheltered (and I hoped powdery) Canyon Lodge side of the mountain. I was actually in the right place, because delayed openings of chair 10 (11AM) and 16 (noon) meant horrendous lift lines on 4, 8 and 17 near Canyon Lodge. On my 3rd lap of 10 I went off the back and skied some low angle stunted trees near chair 25. Here the wind had created waves of snow that were often an ordeal, so I after a couple more runs I was beat and went into Canyon Lodge for an extended break.

I came out at 2PM, and it was now completely overcast and the wind was even stronger. But to my pleasant surprise I saw chair 22 start running at 2:30 (just like Sunday, also in foul weather). So I got in 4 runs, Shaft, Viva, Grizzly and Avalanche 1, before they closed the lift at 3:45. Chairs 3 and 5 never opened.

North facing steeps like the Avalanche Chutes were windpacked and firmer than Sunday. The only powder was on some east aspects, and if you didn't get there first the chowder was heavy enough to bounce you around quite a bit, even on fat skis.

So I was not tempted to hang around for the top to open today. Given the exposure to 80-100 mph winds up there I don't think many face shots were had today.

I was obviously disappointed given the mouth-watering view from afar as I drove into town at dawn. But storms like this are the reason we are still skiing in July, so I'm not really complaining.

I didn't take many pics as I didn't want to stop much while skiing, and in the wind it was not pleasant to take a glove off to mess with a camera.

Rare snow clearance down in Bishop.
schats.JPG

Car parked at the Stove.
stove.JPG

No one was going to ski the top today.
010306top.JPG

You can tell from the tracks that this was dense snow on Rodger's Ridge.
010306rogers.JPG

Mammoth's worst lift lines are on bad weather days when only 1/4 or 1/3 of them are open. This was chair 4.
lineat4.JPG

This is a sheltered stash off chair 22. Snow was good, but windbuff not powder.
010306stash.JPG

Last edited:
Jeez, Tony,

All that celebratory talk about "fluffy snow" on mammoth's forum and Teton Gravity forum. Was it the wind?

It was definitely the wind. It can be wind during the storm or after, as I saw at Las Lenas. Given what I skied Tuesday and how strong the wind was then, I would have expected even more wind effect Wednesday.

Wednesday was undoubtedly a better ski day than Tuesday just from having more lifts open and being able to spread out. Plus the wind finally abated according to this report: http://forums.mammothmountain.com/forum ... erthread=y .

My opinion of Tuesday's conditions are corroborated here: http://forums.mammothmountain.com/forum ... erthread=y . Note that the key to Tuesday was avoiding getting trapped in huge liftlines in the morning. I only ended up in one bad line and skied 18,700 vertical. I opened and closed the mountain but had a 1 1/2 hour lunch/rest break.

Tony Crocker":awun85ro said:
It was definitely the wind. It can be wind during the storm or after, as I saw at Las Lenas. Given what I skied Tuesday and how strong the wind was then, I would have expected even more wind effect Wednesday.

Wednesday was undoubtedly a better ski day than Tuesday just from having more lifts open and being able to spread out. Plus the wind finally abated according to this report: http://forums.mammothmountain.com/forum ... erthread=y .

My opinion of Tuesday's conditions are corroborated here: http://forums.mammothmountain.com/forum ... erthread=y . Note that the key to Tuesday was avoiding getting trapped in huge liftlines in the morning. I only ended up in one bad line and skied 18,700 vertical. I opened and closed the mountain but had a 1 1/2 hour lunch/rest break.

When is the wind your friend at Mammoth? I am hoping to finally make it to Mammoth this season.

PS, my "fluffy snow" comment was a reference to storm reports, not how the mountain skiied in the day(s) after.

The wind deposits blow-in snow on the whole upper mountain from Dave's to Paranoid. It had to contribute to the skiable coverage up there on Dec. 17 when reported season snowfall was only 52 inches. Thus it also makes a contribution to Mammoth's extended late season.

I believe that on many spring days the snow sublimates into the air rather than melting into water on the surface, thus retaining packed powder conditions and slowing down melt-freeze cycles. I ski there in April almost every year, and if the wind is calm I observe a more rapid transition to spring conditions.

The wind is usually a detriment to deep powder skiing, especially on the exposed upper mountain. But the tradeoff in base depths and snow preservation makes the overall effect positive IMHO.

I skied Kirkwood last Tuesday and Wednesday, Jan 3 and 4 too, after that windy series of storms passed. They got slammed as usual too and now have a similar base to Mammoth. Tuesday was still snowing a bit and cloudy all day. On sunny Wednesday their backside area opened up for the first time in days. Like Mammoth, powder quality was disappointedly well below average even in dense trees. Before Monday afternoon all the storms had an unusually high snow level that put a lot of rain on many of the other Tahoe Resorts except Rose and the top of Heavenly. The drive up on SR88 from the west Tuesday showed lowest snows Monday afternoon and evening had been about 4k. That usually means pretty nice fluff up above 8k. I had been tracking it on the CDEC remote sites so knew the snow had a chance to be reasonably light. But it was like the earlier storms quite windy at times. A lot of the terrain was not only wind packed but poking down into the snow showed in most places it was noticeably thick well down into the snow. However I did find a few well shelter spots where forcefully bounding down the slope broke through the surface cake so I could link SSS.

...dave

Back