Alta, UT 2/19/2006

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Day 32

Yeah, baby! \:D/

Finally, a foot of 4% Utah blower on top of a relatively soft subsurface. It really doesn't get much better than it was on Sunday at Alta. The Kid and I spent a few hours on Sunday morning ripping it up along with the rest of the world. We got stuck in 0-5 mph traffic approaching the merge at the canyon entrance, and thus didn't arrive at the mountain until 9:30 a.m. Still, we had plenty of untracked to tear up.

In fact, although we didn't get to Catherine's until 10:15 or so, there was not a single track heading out onto my favorite line, and we literally had to break trail to get there. Like I said, it doesn't get much better than this.

By 12:30, though, as we prepared to head into GMD for lunch, most places that were open were pretty hammered. The Ballroom, Baldy Shoulder, Devil's Castle, East Castle, and Cecret Saddle gates remained closed due to the avalanche risk, so traffic was squeezed into a slightly smaller acreage. I asked The Kid if we were going to ski much after lunch, and as the answer was pretty much "no" we opted instead to lunch in the Valley and call it a day. We therefore left early, albeit very, very satisfied.

I shot some brief video of him out beyond Catherine's. If I can find the time in the next day or two to transfer it to disk and reformat it (it's full-on DV) I'll add it to this topic.

He's up at The Bird today, playing with some of his school friends in the trauma park as I sit here at work. :evil:

Attachments

• 02 alta patsy 060219.jpg
    02 alta patsy 060219.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 1,654
  • 01 alta thekid catherines 060219.jpg
    01 alta thekid catherines 060219.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 1,642
An "interesting" comment in today's avalanche center report:

To be fair, there are some niggling complaints about feeling the various crusts underneath but nothing that a month in Oregon won?t cure.

:lol:

Back