Mt. Baldy, CA: 3/18/06

jkamien

After carefully watching the forecasted snow, I arrived at the Mt. Baldy parking lot shortly before 8AM. The road was cleared down to the pavement, and sanded, but the SoCal scaredy-drivers were still putting on chains. What's up with that?

The Baldy website reported 4-6 inches. They had been dropping hints about Chair 4 opening for the first time this season, and I was hoping to use it today to access some nice parking lot runs. The 6:14AM posting on Baldy's website said, "All lifts are operating, as weather conditions permit". No such luck - Chair 4's chairs are not even hung on the cable...talk about deceptive advertising!

I boarded the parking lot chair at 8:15. Everything looked fresh and I saw nobody skiing the parking lot runs. After a ride that seemed like an eternity, I finally got on Chair 3 to Thunder at about 8:35 and stood at the top of Thunder at 8:50. Wow, that was a long trip.

My first inclination was to see what South Bowl had to offer. Only the lower entrance was open, but no one had been in there and it was not touched. The surface was indeed the 4-6 inches advertised, although a little heavy, and this was over a crust and many hidden rocks. Baldy sure isn't shy about opening terrain. I was expecting last year's superb coverage, but we haven't had nearly enough snow for that. Their attitude seems to be, if you want to tear up your skis, be my guest.

Nonetheless, the turns were sweet, if challenging. Every once and a while, I felt myself hitting debris just under the surface. I pulled another South Bowl immediately after that. I also discovered that the high traverse out of the South Bowl was not an option like last year. Any face that had seen the sun was littered with chocolate chips and was simply not negotiable without stepping through rock fields.

I then took the trees to the skier's right of Chair 3. This was my old standby from last year and it had some nice snow on it. Back to South Bowl, and this time they had opened an upper gate giving access to terrain further out to the skier's left. How nice to be skiing first tracks in Southern California! It was still tricky, though, with lots of barely covered obstacles.

Later on in the day, I hooked up with Jim Wood who suggested Gold Rush trees (I think that's the name). You go left down the intermediate trail off the lift, then cut left into the trees when the trail turns right. This area had the best snow of the day and I wound up spending a lot more time there.

Sometime, Jim and I did a run down to the parking lot....very tricky stuff with a crust underneath and more submerged obstacles and chocolate chip rock fields.

All in all, it was a challenging day that wore me out by about 2:30. 15 runs, including two to the parking lot.

My Stokli Stormriders took a beating today, with five, count 'em, five core shots. OUCH! I'll need to get them fixed Thursday night in Alta. Do the Alta ski shops know how to deal with severe damage? At least I didn't pull an edge out, although one spot is dangerously close to an edge.

Attachments

• IMG_0153.jpg
    IMG_0153.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 4,721
  • IMG_0151.jpg
    IMG_0151.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 4,717
  • IMG_0150.jpg
    IMG_0150.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 4,716
  • IMG_0144.jpg
    IMG_0144.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 4,710
  • IMG_0133.jpg
    IMG_0133.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 4,714
  • IMG_0124.jpg
    IMG_0124.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 4,715
  • IMG_0120.jpg
    IMG_0120.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 4,711
  • IMG_0119.jpg
    IMG_0119.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 4,716
Ouch! Those poor Stöcklis! They'll have no problem fixing them, although 5 core shots is hardly an overnight repair.

Thanks for the report. I wanted to go up Sunday, but couldn't make it. Hopefully Wednesday will pan out right after the storm hits. This could be one of the last if not THE last storm of the season. :(

When I was at Baldy last week it was thin cover as well, but from your pictures, the snow looked great. I gripe about the roads, the lifts and the coverage of Baldy all the time, but the fact that it's just over an hour to powder in Los Angeles is pretty sweet. Not to mention that I like the 'I don't give a crap' attitude there and that you can ski wherever you want. Most ski areas today would never open terrain like Baldy does for fear of lawsuits. My skis were messed up too, but in the end the Baldy experience always leaves me with a satisfied grin.

This morning, Monday, Baldy is reporting 13 to 20 inches since Friday. Not-too-distant neighbor Mountain High reported 1 to 2 inches. Just sayin'.

Some more pics from the day...

Attachments

• IMG_0527.jpg
    IMG_0527.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 4,566
  • IMG_0525.jpg
    IMG_0525.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 4,578
  • IMG_0518.jpg
    IMG_0518.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 4,563
  • IMG_0513.jpg
    IMG_0513.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 4,557
  • IMG_0512.jpg
    IMG_0512.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 4,567
This is about what I would have expected. It's quite clear why the parking lot runs aren't open. My advice before this post was watch out for your skis, and it appears that was correct. I share many SoCal locals enthusiasm for Baldy, but I want a deeper base than that before I'll go up there. The opening of the parking lot runs is a good measure. They may be sketchy, but if there's enough to open them at all, the chances are that coverage in higher-up places like South Bowl and Goldrush trees is adequate.

Tony Crocker wrote:
This is about what I would have expected. It's quite clear why the parking lot runs aren't open. My advice before this post was watch out for your skis, and it appears that was correct. I share many SoCal locals enthusiasm for Baldy, but I want a deeper base than that before I'll go up there. The opening of the parking lot runs is a good measure. They may be sketchy, but if there's enough to open them at all, the chances are that coverage in higher-up places like South Bowl and Goldrush trees is adequate.

Actually the parking lot runs WERE open...on the skier's left of the lift. They sure were tricky, though, but enjoyable in places. The runs to the skier's RIGHT of the lift were probably unskiable.

Back