Snowbird & Alta, UT 6/3/06-$45 summer season pass (Pt 1)

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Day 59:

When is a closed ski area not really closed? When they'll sell you a season pass to a closed ski area.

And that's precisely what Snowbird is doing right now. For a mere $45 they're selling an unlimited Summer Pass for as many tram rides as you can handle. And yes, you can bring skis "until the snow's all gone," the ticket seller advised. That makes the pass pay for itself after only 5 runs. That's less than most ski resorts' day tickets. I kid you not. And it'll be good for mountain biking even after the snow's all gone! That's got to be the best bargain in the ski industry.

So, of course I bought one! So did Bob Dangerous, with whom I skied today.

Bob had to work until noon, so we didn't board the tram until the 2pm trip (it runs every half hour for tourists). The cabin was pretty full, too...with skiers. You'd hardly know that the ski area was "closed."

We had spotted a car at Alta, which clearly has a lot more snow remaining than Snowbird. Not only is Main Chute still skiable, but so are Perla's and even Little Chute. :shock: Cover to the base of Alta is seamless, while Snowbird is dicey below Rothman Way. No matter, it has been weeks since we've been allowed into Peruvian Gulch, so the first run was a clear choice: Great Scott. The corn on the steeps was sublime, albeit a bit mushy in the heat (mid-60s at the base of Snowbird, but pushing 90 in the Salt Lake Valley). Once you got onto Baldy Flats, however, it got really sticky ("fields of Velcro," Bob said). Things with pitch skied well, while flats were grippy. We worked our way down via Anderson's to Chip's Face, and finally via the untracked Willows to ski within a couple of hundred yards of the Tram Plaza.

The second run was a natural, too: hike Baldy to ski Main Chute down into Alta. A thin high cloud layer thankfully shielded us from the June sun as we scampered up to the summit of Baldy in 25 minutes. We paused for a rest before easing over to peer down Main, finding a good-looking surface that was nonetheless somewhat runnelled in the center. We paused again for a moment, briefly considering Baldy Shoulder instead, but in the end stuck with our original plan and dropped into Main Chute. Good, good stuff, and it'll last for quite some time.

From there the decision-making process was a simple one, down to Watson Shelter and to the base via Schuss Gully, which was positively perfect, smooth, untracked corn.

20 minutes later, I was sitting at my kitchen table with a beer. Once again, living here doesn't suck. :wink: We'll be back up tomorrow for the 11 am first tram.

(Below find part 1 of the photos -- part 2 of the photos is located here.)

Attachments

• 11 snowbird bob hiking baldy 060603.jpg
    11 snowbird bob hiking baldy 060603.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 7,256
  • 10 snowbird bob hiking baldy 060603.jpg
    10 snowbird bob hiking baldy 060603.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 7,247
  • 09 snowbird peruvian towers 060603.jpg
    09 snowbird peruvian towers 060603.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 7,278
  • 08 snowbird bob atop great scott 060603.jpg
    08 snowbird bob atop great scott 060603.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 7,256
  • 07 snowbird great scott 060603.jpg
    07 snowbird great scott 060603.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 7,257
  • 06 snowbird great scott 060603.jpg
    06 snowbird great scott 060603.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 7,253
  • 05 snowbird mid-cirque 060603.jpg
    05 snowbird mid-cirque 060603.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 7,246
  • 04 snowbird lower mtn 060603.jpg
    04 snowbird lower mtn 060603.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 7,263
  • 03 snowbird inside tram 060603.jpg
    03 snowbird inside tram 060603.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 7,258
  • 02 snowbird chickadee 060603.jpg
    02 snowbird chickadee 060603.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 7,262
  • 01 snowbird 2006 summer pass.jpg
    01 snowbird 2006 summer pass.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 7,248
WOW!!! 8)

Great Scott!!! Not the run, but the report and pics. \:D/

As I'm here, spending a Saturday night in Ottawa instead of Gorham NH planning some June turns. Ah yes, it's raining again this weekend in the East. :roll:

Great deal!!!

$45 bucks, what's that in Canadian? $49!!! :mrgreen: \:D/ :shock:

Hi everyone. I just came across this on a link from AlpineZone on the east coast. This topic, and the pictures are amazing (at least to those of us in the east). I am currently in the process of selling my home here on LI, NY and as soon as it sells, will be moving to the Salt Lake City region. I am retired, and my primary purpose for moving is to SKI as much and as often as possible. I have been traveling to UT to ski for the past 7 years and decided that living there would give me and my wife an excellent balance of good living, access to a nice urban area, terrific air connections (we have three adult children who also ski and WILL visit) and the most quality skiing of virtually any location in the USA. I look forward to meeting some of you and getting to spend some time on the slopes with other enthusiasts. The thought of being just a few minutes, instead of 3 to 6 hours away from the slopes is really exciting, and I can't wait! Since my wife is a non-skier (She is a world class quilt maker, and anticipates indulging her own passion for quilting among the many UT quilters and groups.) I am always interested in sharing trips with others looking for company. I have skied Alta, Snowbird, Brighton, Solitude, Snowbasin, Park City, The Canyons, and Deer Valley. I haven't made it over to Powder Mountain yet, but hope to this coming season.

Welcome to the forum!

I think (and I'm sure that most here would agree) that you've made an excellent descision =D>

Best of luck on the big move :D

tirolerpeter":19m2otvs said:
I am currently in the process of selling my home here on LI, NY and as soon as it sells, will be moving to the Salt Lake City region.

Well, then...ignore my question in the 6/10 Snowbird/Alta topic, for this answers my question. You won't regret the move. I came out here 18 months ago from Albany, and Marc_C made the move nearly 6 years ago from CT, and neither of us has looked back once. Some folks who aren't members of the predominant local culture have found the move trying at times, especially in the beginning, but with the right attitude it hasn't bothered either Marc_C or me a whit. People here are good people. Everything...not only skiing, but rock climbing, mountain biking, camping, backpacking, etc....is right on your doorstep. The cost of living is reasonable, and you have all of the amenities of a much larger metro area without any of the problems (traffic, high crime rates, etc.). My kid (15) came out in February from Montreal and wouldn't trade it for the world.

Admin":1nhwokvd said:
tirolerpeter":1nhwokvd said:
I am currently in the process of selling my home here on LI, NY and as soon as it sells, will be moving to the Salt Lake City region.

Well, then...ignore my question in the 6/10 Snowbird/Alta topic, for this answers my question. You won't regret the move. I came out here 18 months ago from Albany, and Marc_C made the move nearly 6 years ago from CT, and neither of us has looked back once. Some folks who aren't members of the predominant local culture have found the move trying at times, especially in the beginning, but with the right attitude it hasn't bothered either Marc_C or me a whit. People here are good people. Everything...not only skiing, but rock climbing, mountain biking, camping, backpacking, etc....is right on your doorstep. The cost of living is reasonable, and you have all of the amenities of a much larger metro area without any of the problems (traffic, high crime rates, etc.). My kid (15) came out in February from Montreal and wouldn't trade it for the world.

Thanks for the welcome posting. I enjoy an active life, and love the outdoors. While I am 60 years old, I ski all day with people 30 to 40 years younger than I am. I'm not the one to "call it a day" first. Cultural issues do not phase me. I'm not sure I would feel the same if I had younger children, but that point is moot. I am originally from Austria, and have traveled extensively world wide, so I enjoy meeting "new" people and their points of view. Of course, we must all reciprocally respect each other's points of view. About two years ago my wife and I finished up a little "fun" travel project. When we drove into Montana we chalked up our "50th State." It is a great country, and every part of it has something that makes it worth visiting. During our travels, we consciously evaluated the factors present that are important to both my wife and me in terms of a place to live. The Salt Lake region scored highest for both of us as a compromise location. She would prefer to live further south in a warmer region, but recognizes my need to have access to snow and weather other than hot. I am looking forward to connection with you and others of like interests.

Marc, Peter is a good guy and an eager skier 8) . I spent a day making turns with him at Hunter this past season on a famous Hunter blue ice day...he hung in there just fine.

Take good care of him.

tirolerpeter":1wwz71mg said:
I am originally from Austria, and have traveled extensively world wide, so I enjoy meeting "new" people and their points of view. Of course, we must all reciprocally respect each other's points of view.

Agreed whole-heartedly. Even a decade ago the mutual exchange might not have been so readily accepted, but I've found that to be more the case now. Most of my staff here is of the predominant local culture, and I have received both a healthy exchange of differing points of view and beliefs, and good-natured ribbing back and forth as well. Life is good. And while I'm not about to convert or anything, for a multitude of reasons that I don't feel compelled to discuss here, there are most certainly aspects of the local belief system that I whole-heartedly agree with. IMO it's primarily responsible for things such as remarkably low crime rates, an immaculate downtown core, etc.

The Salt Lake region scored highest for both of us as a compromise location. She would prefer to live further south in a warmer region, but recognizes my need to have access to snow and weather other than hot.

That's precisely the compromise that brought us here. After 9 years in Florida I simply couldn't take it anymore (I was there immediately preceding my 18 months in Albany, although I was in the Saratoga Springs area prior to that.)

I am looking forward to connection with you and others of like interests.

Likewise. Keep us informed on how the relocation develops.

JimG.":2gh01si0 said:
Marc, Peter is a good guy and an eager skier 8) . I spent a day making turns with him at Hunter this past season on a famous Hunter blue ice day...he hung in there just fine.

Take good care of him.

Hi JimG. Thanks for the nice words. After our Hunter day, I spent a couple of weeks (on two different trips) out in UT. Had some great powder days at Solitude, Alta, Brighton, and of course, Snowbird. I just don't like edging on pure ice the way you and Drew do. Hope you can make it out west some day. For that matter, I hope I make out west before the next seasonl.

I detect another Snowbird devotee in that last paragraph. You're welcome to make some turns with our Iron Blosam group March 11-13 next year. admin can come along too if if he's not too busy nursemaiding other flatland visitors :p .

Tony Crocker":nexdo1aj said:
I detect another Snowbird devotee in that last paragraph. You're welcome to make some turns with our Iron Blosam group March 11-13 next year. admin can come along too if if he's not too busy nursemaiding other flatland visitors :p .

Thanks Tony. I appreciate the invitation and look forward to it. I can't wait to try the new tunnel into Mineral Basin. It looks like a fun way to access that terrain. Depending on mood and conditions, I like to vary powder fields with floating around in the trees. All of it is beautiful to me. I must confess that I like all four of the Cottonwood Canyon(s) areas. But, there are days when I also very much enjoy the "luxury" of Snowbasin. You gotta admit, there is some fine terrain there too, and you can't beat the food!

Snowbasin's food still plays second fiddle around here to Dear Valet's, IMO, but it's still head and shoulders above 99% of ski country.

Admin":2lqdn3iw said:
Snowbasin's food still plays second fiddle around here to Dear Valet's, IMO, but it's still head and shoulders above 99% of ski country.

I'll have to try it the day after my pension check hits the bank and I can afford the lift ticket. I have heard that the "immaculate corduroy" runs right into the lodge :D

tirolerpeter":327v92w6 said:
For that matter, I hope I make out west before the next seasonl.
Welcome, Peter! If you do come here before your move/next season, make sure you let us know so we can get together for beers or dinner or a hike or something.

Marc_C":31lvr9xv said:
tirolerpeter":31lvr9xv said:
For that matter, I hope I make out west before the next seasonl.
Welcome, Peter! If you do come here before your move/next season, make sure you let us know so we can get together for beers or dinner or a hike or something.

That sounds great! Thanks for the invitation. NOW SOMEBODY BUY MY HOUSE! Sorry to shout, but I get impatient :lol:

Back