Backpacking in Utah's Uinta Mountains 6/30-7/1/07 (photos)

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
I'd been itching to go backpacking in the Uintas, but I didn't want to be itching when I got back home - it's a subtle difference between bug season and not. We decided to chance it this weekend and take an overnighter to Kamas Lake on the Lofty Lake Loop, run clockwise. Executive summary:
  • Easy hike in
  • Reid's Meadow is beautiful
  • We had Kamas Lake all to ourselves, negating the need to head to Cutthroat Lake or Teal Lake to find solitude
  • Fishing was decent in Kamas Lake, with a cutthroat trout dinner earned
  • Mosquitoes and deer flies were omnipresent, but Ben's 100% kept them at bay
  • The brilliant full moon rising over the ridgeline around 11:30 pm last night was stunning
  • Saturday night was darned chilly after 3 am or so, probably dipping close to 40 despite the 100-degree highs in the Salt Lake Valley
  • The hike out today via the remainder of Lofty Lake Loop affords incredible views. The trail was rather busy from Lofty Lake down to Scout Lake and back to the Pass Lake trailhead parking.

Photos:

02 provo river falls.jpg

02 reids meadow.jpg

03 bald mt and reids pk.jpg

04 campsite.jpg

05 kamas lk mt marsell.jpg

06 dinner.jpg

07 kamas lk.jpg

08 todd campfire.jpg

09 kamas lk.jpg

10 thief.jpg

11 cutthroat lk.jpg

12 todd skidog.jpg

13 kletting pk.jpg

14 kamas lk from above.jpg

15 lofty lk.jpg

16 hayden pk.jpg

17 todd mirror lk.jpg

18 scout lk.jpg

19 Skidog.jpg

19 picturesque lk.jpg

great TR..

tough decision for that chipmunk.. the flask or granola mix.. Don't leave us in suspense.. which one did he choose?? :lol:

I think that he felt he had better odds with a plastic bag. He was actually trying to drag it backwards when I took the pic.

Marc_C":217xtm4y said:
Nice resurrection of an 8 year old thread!

In all fairness, I pointed him to it. If I get bored enough this evening I'll attempt to replace those photos that were hosted on a now-dead website.

If I get bored enough this evening I'll attempt to replace those photos that were hosted on a now-dead website.
I think I've seen other dead picture links occasionally. Admin does not post pictures to his own website? Perhaps this is due to the size limitations that annoy some of us as well?

Tony Crocker":1me8x0nj said:
If I get bored enough this evening I'll attempt to replace those photos that were hosted on a now-dead website.
I think I've seen other dead picture links occasionally. Admin does not post pictures to his own website? Perhaps this is due to the size limitations that annoy some of us as well?
Oh, please! :roll: Those were posted to a backpacking forum that also used phpBB. It was simply easier to copy and paste from that other posting, nothing more.

I was merely being mischievous... didn't expect Admin to come through.
Having hiked this trail a few times in the last couple of years -- the features seem as currently positioned.

Back