Smuggler's Notch, VT 12/19/2004

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
I overdid it yesterday at Jay. So much so that I wasn't moving too quickly checking out of my Burlington hotel room this morning. So much so that I nearly blew off skiing at Smuggs today. But, I was there, so even a few hours would be better than not going at all.

Thus I found myself riding the Sterling lift at 9 am sharp with vtRat, his girlfriend, and a couple of their friends. The mind was willing, but the body really wasn't.

Smuggs definitely didn't have the snowpack of Jay the day before. That's not to say that the skiing wasn't enjoyable -- it was. Natural snow terrain had some thin spots over things like ledges, etc. Manmade snow was by and large well-covered. Most of Madonna and Sterling seemed to be open -- Madonna Liftline was even open yesterday, although it was roped off today. The place was relatively deserted, too, considering that it was a Sunday.

One trip into the Birthday Bowls nearly wiped me out. If the 25-minute hike wasn't enough to do so, fighting the early-season snow on the way down did. I just wasn't clicking today. While it's skiable back there right now, it's not quite ready for prime time. Another two feet or so and it will be. For now, things like deadfall and thick sections of puckerbrush need to be avoided.

By lunch time I was shot, and headed home. Even needed to pull off the road in Fair Haven for a 30-minute cat nap. Total today was a meager 8586 verts for me.

Back