Mammoth, 12/18&19/04

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
After my November trip I wanted to return to Mammoth in December for this weekend. As I didn't have anyone going with me and didn't want to pay holiday hotel rates I stayed at Davison St. Guest Lodge, where you can get a dorm-style bunk for $38 a night. I found this place thanks to Colleen Dunn Bates, a new http://nasja.org member who just wrote an informative book on the Eastern Sierra, see description at
http://www.insidemammoth.com. At the last minute my friend Richard decided to go with me and fortunately there was still a spot available.

I remember from Mammoth's glory days of the early 1980's how I would try to get in a weekend or two between Thanksgiving and Christmas to beat the heavier crowds later in the season. With all the new lifts there were no lines at all and by 10AM Saturday I knew I had a chance at some vertical foot records.

Saturday's weather was perfect, similar to Sunday 5 weeks ago. It had not snowed for 10 days and the prior weekend had been unseasonably warm. Therefore some lower and sunny areas had hardpack or crusty snow where ungroomed. But the 2/3 of the mountain that faces north (and includes nearly all the steeps) was in excellent condition. The top runs had smooth faces of chalky snow that hold an edge easily and which can be almost effortless with some dry wind sift on top of it. This snow condition does intimidate what Marc Guido calls "western wusses." At 35+ degree pitch the snow is firm enough that you will slide a long way if you screw up and there are enough rock outcroppings below to focus your attention.

As you come off the steeps the runouts often have unconsolidated snow that can be quite exhausting. But this weekend that snow was also the smooth wind buff that could be skied almost like the groomed runs. I did about 10K of warmup cruising Saturday morning, if you count freshly groomed Cornice and Scotty's. Then Drop Out, Dave's over to 9, Eagle and then Viva on chair 22 before an early lunch. After lunch and both Avalanche Chutes Chair 5 was outstanding, then I went back up for a few laps on Climax, Wipe Out 2 and Chair 14.

By 3:15 the light was pretty flat up top and I could smell the record so worked high speed Chairs 1 and 3 (including Wall and Gravy Chute) for the waning hours. I hit chair 3 right at 4PM closing and headed down to the Main Lodge, as I hoped Chair 1 might go later as there were regional races still going on at 3:45. They had put a rope in front of the loading area but the chair was still moving and I skied over the rope, telling the liftie, "I have to get to my car at Chair 2." She didn't stop the lift and make me take the shuttle bus but she called up the hill so the top liftie could chew me out. He threatened pulling a season pass (fortunately I didn't have one) and then I skied off, with new record 44,500 vertical safely in hand.

Sunday the weather was warmer in the base areas but with some wind on the mid-mountain chairs, surprisingly stronger than up top. I needed to pace myself a bit more, but I did manage to get around a couple of sketchy entrances to Wipe Out and Paranoid, the latter much scarier than in November. I left at 2:30PM with a new 2-day record of 72,900 vertical.

rockgarden2.JPG

chair23.jpg

climax_down.jpg

climax_up.jpg

canyon_lodge.JPG

av1_view.JPG

av1_down.JPG

very nice pics. i'd really love to visit mammoth at some point. the scenery looks incredible. i love seeing those arid foothills in the distance.
apparently with my WB season pass i get discounted rates at other intrawest resorts. anyone know of some good cheap places to stay down there?

Davison St. Guest Lodge where I stayed this time must be the cheapest for one or two people. There aren't that many hotels and prices are expensive. Nearly all the lodging is condos, so the common strategy for the younger crowd is to come in a group and cram a condo. A few people will stay down in Bishop (4,000 feet lower and nearly an hour away) to save $.

Back