Mammoth, April 3

Adam Crocker

After getting snow for nearly 24 hours straight, and with the top closed all day Wednesday, Thursday morning I awoke to picture perfect blue skies. After getting my not-so-powder-worthy friends to get my to the mountain by 8:30, I headed straight for chair 22, which at the time was the only expert terrain open. (This turned out to be a very good thing) I took three sweet powder runs down 22, all three were completely fresh. Two of them were thru Avalanche Chute 1, which kept getting more powder blown into it. After 22 was sufficiently tracked up, the top as well as 3 and 5 were nowhere near open, so I poked around chair 10 for some freshies in the trees.

Since I had some time to kill, I picked up a pair of next year's Salomon Pilot Screams (xtra hot) at the main lodge. the 116/86/108 sidecut was wonderful after working over chair 22 on my original K2 Fours. Around noon or so, chair 3 opened up and I caught the 20th chair or so up. I got two sweet fresh lines right down the face of 3 and on the third ride up the chair, I saw the first people loading 23, so I headed over there. I got two fresh lines on 23 (Drop Out and Paranoid) before heading down to the gondola. I got a fresh line down Climax from the gondola, and two lines thru Hangman's before it was all tracked out.

The sequential openings of the lifts and the lack of people (it was a Thursday, after all) meant that I got about 15,000 vertical feet of fresh powder (out of 35,200 total vertical) that day. Living in LA this is by far my best lift-service powder day ever.

Back